orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2004 Kawaski Vulcan 800

Re: Rookie From Eastern WA

#11 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

I have had a crazy busy summer. I haven't been able to post as much as I would like to have. Well I have had several occasions to ride since my last post. I'm not counting the short jogs around town but the rides consisting of 20+ minutes. After my last post I began researching best ways to practice cornering and found this brilliant article http://www.ca2s.org/Safety%20Lit/Corner ... _Guide.pdf that showed me how to setup a practice course in a parking lot. I went to Walmart picked up 8 cones for about $5 and went to work. I set them up per the guide and and spent two hours practicing. The key I think was starting slow, I mean 5 miles per hour slow and forcing myself to use correct turning procedures, Looking through, tight lower body and loose upper body etc. I slowly increased my speed until I was at 30 Mph in the corner. Then the widened the cones to make it a longer sweeping corner and did the something. This was tremendous help in building my confidence in my technique and bike. I also must credit the book " A Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code. This book helped me understand the the physics behind what my bike needs to corner effectively and proper cornering techniques. I must admit that some of the book is not designed for the cruiser rider but still exceptionally written. I have come a along way this summer and can only look forward tot he remaining months of riding and increasing my skills and abilities. Thank you to everyone for your guidance and look forward to reading more.