The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Keep Your Paws Off My Bike

#21 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Since I bought my bike I have tried to take very good care of it. Every time I came in from a rainy ride I immediately rode it to the car wash area in my building. I let it cool down a bit and then haul all my "cleaning" supplies back out there.
I hose off the mud and grit....then spray on either Simple Green or S-100 ( Simple Green costs less and works better )....hose it off again....I try hard to not scratch the paint and chrome.
However, there is frequenlty a mysteriously achieved new scratch. I know about a couple of places I scratched myself. When I first got the bike I simply was unaware that my jacket snap needed to be snapped or it would bang on the tank....one small scratch....and I had a velcro leg band with a chunk out of it (courtesy of a friend's dog who thought it was a new toy and snatched it away and chomped it ). The velcro band had a sharp edge and it rubbed against the chrome when I was braking. I have since learned and am much more careful.
The same cannot be said for a myriad of others, though. :roll:

Sometimes when I get to my bike to go out there has been a new scratch and a couple of times at the end of a day when it is time to come home there is marks. Heck, even last weekend at my friend's place, there was greasy fingerprints on the tank and the left mirror is now all smeary.

Well, today, as I gearing up to go home from work, a few of my co-workers came by....."Gee, I love that bike"...."After Harleys and Indians I like this one the best" :roll:
Now, to set the scene, you need to know this. There is some consrtuction going on close by to our lot. I didn't realize there would be so much dust flying, but there is. Most of it seemed to have landed on my bike....
As we were standing around shooting the breeze, another fellow came by and before I could stop him, he leaned in and swiped both of his hands across the tank ( his way of admiring something, I guess). Before I had a chance to say anything, one of the others told him not to touch the paint.
Thanks.
This would explain why the mysterious whorls in the paint and on the chrome> If people are coming up and running their hands across it when it's dusty and dirty it will make scratches.
Do I need to leave a sign on the windshield?
Do not touch
Or would that just tempt them more? I don't know what the solution is, but I sure wish people would keep their hands off my bike.

I usually wear my full face helmet, but yesterday and today, it was so darn nice and my commute is so short, I decided to wear my half helmet. It sure did feel good..........
I will wear my full face helmet tomorrow though. After work I am going across the Alex Fraser Bridge and onto the freeway and I would feel more protected with the full face when going those higher speeds.

It's such a good feeling on these nice mornings to ride to work. :)

blues2cruise

To half or not to half

#22 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Up until this week, I have been wearing my full face helmet every ride. However, I decided this week it was just too hot for my commute home from work, so, I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear my half helmet.
Wow! It sure does feel good on the way home...
Tonight I got even bolder. So far, for every single ride I have done, no matter how short, I have worn my Joe rocket Ballistic jacket. I had trouble peeling it off my bare arms yesterday because I was sweating inside it from the summer heat.
Tongiht I had a couple of errands to do locally. Just a quick trip to the bank, the gas station and the grocery store.....decision time....Full gear or lighten up a bit.

I decided to lighten up a bit and I wore my hot pink nylon cycling jacket. It may not be protective but I was sure visible....highly visible. And, boy, did it feel good. With the lightweight jacket and the half helmet it was quite a "freeing" experience.

Tomorrow will be another story, though.....

Oh, great...now I have the song in my head....

Get your motor running
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

Born to be wi-i-i-i-ill-l-ld :mrgreen:

blues2cruise

Finally, a definitive answer to an age old question.

#23 Unread post by blues2cruise »

How many motorcycle enthusiasts does it take to change a light bulb?

I now have a definitive answer to the age old question….How many motorcycle enthusiasts does it take to change a light bulb?

The answer is 9.

Let me explain. It was pointed out to me while my friend and I were riding….this time he in the lead and me riding staggered behind. He could see in his rearview mirror that my left driving light had burned out so at the next red light when I pulled up beside him, he pointed it out to me. Given that we were heading out through Langley anyway, I asked if we stop in to a bike shop so I could pick up a new bulb.

We pulled in to Western Powersports on the Langley By-Pass. Dr_bar got out his handy dandy 8-in-one screwdriver to remove the lens. The bulb would not budge. There was corrosion on the screws and inside the rubber. The socket was rusted in tight. I then went into the “what used to be service counter” but it had moved….5 stores down…..Meanwhile, the sales manager had stopped by to see if there was a problem. When he looked over at my bike he saw the Pacific Yamaha sticker….With a wink, he said, “Pacific Yamaha?!, what’s with that?”
“It’s a long story”, I said…
He looked down at the bulb situation and assured me the service guys would get me on my way in no time.
Sigh…..nothing is ever easy……It should have been a clue that the day was not going to go as planned when dr_bar phoned at 8:30 to say, “Sorry, I’m going to be late.” He rode halfway to my place before he remembered he didn’t have his earplugs in and went back home to go get them. No problem….See you when you get here. That was set back number one to our plans for the day. But, I digress….yes, I know, I do that a lot….

I went into the service department at Western Powersports and asked if it would be possible for someone to help me. The fellow said if I could wait 15 or 20 minutes, he would send a “tech” out to help.

Meanwhile, another rider who was waiting for a new back tire to be installed, sauntered over to dr_bar to have a chat. He had the same kind if bike so they were comparing notes. The tech soon came outside carrying a pair of pliers. ( He looked so-o-o-o young. Dr_bar said he looked like a motorcycle tech squid ) The pliers would not work. He went in and got a different tool which also didn’t work. I asked wouldn’t something like “Liquid Wrench” or something of that nature work to loosen the rust? I got told, “Oh no, it rusted in there solid.”
“Ok.”
The squid tech went inside again and brought out another tool….which also didn’t work. I think he now realizes this is more than just changing a light bulb. After some struggle, the glass bulb came free, but the socket was still in there.

Meanwhile dr_bar and I are rolling our eyes at ourselves….well, actually I think he was rolling his eyes at me….”If I had known you were going to be so ana about having to get something fixed, I would never had said anything”. ( We haven’t had breakfast yet and it going on 11am. I think dr_bar needs some coffee. ) Dr_bar said, “I’m going over to the deli to see if I can get a coffee.” Although he was gone a long time, he came back empty handed.
“I thought you were getting yourself some coffee?” I asked.
“They don’t have coffee in there”, he replied.
Soon, very soon we should be on our way.

After some mighty effort and the application of some sort of rust remover, the squid tech has finally budged the socket…Wahoo…
”You got the new bulb?”…
“No, I thought you would have bulbs in here.”
“No, the parts department is back in the store upstairs.”
“OK, I will be right back”
I jogged back to the store and up the stairs. The first person to help me is someone who is new on the job. In fact, it’s his first day and he has no clue about the light bulbs. Roland ( nice guy, that Roland ) came along to help. He got the bulb and I said I would take 2…just in case….
“Oh, wait a minute”, I said. “The bulb that was in the bike was clear and these are amber.”
It turns out that Yamaha has changed the colour of the lens to clear for 2005 so now they have amber bulbs. Mine is 2004 and still has an amber lens so it needs a clear bulb.
After a few more minutes Roland came back with the correct bulbs…..
The first cash drawer would not work….The second cash drawer would not work….something about the computer that morning….Finally over to cash drawer number three….

I go back down the stair and jog back to the service department and give the bulb to the tech squid. Meanwhile, the older fellow who had been chatting to dr_bar was still waiting for his tire change job was back over talking to us. He, of course, also put in his $0.02 worth on this whole bulb issue. We all agreed that there is definitely a design flaw or something that would allow so much water to get inside the lens…( I forgot to mention….this is the second time this has had to be fixed….the first time the lens had filled up with water and drowned the bulb….I did take it in and it was supposedly fixed )

The old fellow was grousing about how long it was taking to get his tire changed. We talked about the fact that it was a complex procedure to change a back tire….when I mentioned the swing arm, the old guys’ eyes lit up….”You even know the names of the parts?” “Wow, a woman who rides and knows about the bike!”
“Will you marry me,” he says with a big grin.
“Kill me now”, I reply. We all had a good laugh.
He asked how come I know this stuff. Did I learn it from dr_bar?
“I read the manual.”
“Manual?” all three of them replied “We don’t need no manual.” They made a gesture as if tossing a manual over their shoulders into the garbage.
“It’s a guy thing,” they laughed. “We don’t “do” manuals.”
After a bit of good natured chatter about the use or non-use of the manual, the tech squid was finally done. It had been an hour since we pulled in to change a $1.08 light bulb. I went inside to the service counter to pay. I figured I would submit the bill to Yamaha Canada because this should be warranty work…at $85.00 an hour it was worth a try. I walked in with my wallet in my hand prepared to pay and with a smile the service guy said, “Have a great weekend.”
What a pleasant surprise. I can only surmise he recognized that it was a new bike and we had been standing around in the baking sun…and dr_bar needed coffee…..

We are finally good to go. Oh, and back to the point of the whole story of how many motorcycle enthusiasts does it take to change a light bulb? Nine…..
Dr_bar, to notice it.
Me, to do something about it.
The first WP person to tell me to go 5 stores down
The service manager
The sales manager
The old guy with the same bike as dr_bar
The tech squid
The parts guy new on the job
The parts guy experienced on the job

There you have it folks. It is official. It takes nine motorcycle enthusiasts to change a light bulb.

blues2cruise

No Hope today....just a ride and a day at the beach....

#24 Unread post by blues2cruise »

After the raggedy start to our day, we are finally on our way. We picked Saturday July 30 because we knew it would be good weather and maybe the holiday travelers would have already got to where they were going.
Wrong!
We decided to carry on with our original plan of going to Abbotsford for breakfast instead of staying in Langley (although it’s pushing 11:30 by now). We made an illegal left turn out of Western Powersports…..otherwise it would have meant a right turn onto the Bypass and a ride quite far along to turn around and come back….and we were hungry….and dr_bar hasn’t had his coffee yet. :wink:
We headed east on the By-Pass to make our turn to gain access to Highway 1. The access is quite long and curved. It is not until you are at the point of no return that you can actually see the highway.
What the heck is going on?!!!? Traffic is bumper to bumper and moving along at a snail’s pace. We can’t turn around and go a different way. We have no choice but to merge in and hope the traffic clears. This is when it is handy to have an “assertive” attitude. Dr_bar can muscle his bike and then he backs off to leave a space so I can move in to the line.
After we crawl along for what felt like an eternity….what’s that I see in the distance? Why, it’s those hideous orange “construction ahead” signs. You have got to be kidding! :roll:
Who is the bright spark that plans to do construction on what is quite possibly the busiest highway in the province on what is the busiest holiday weekend of the year? Even the Sea to Sky construction takes a break on weekends.
Every once in a while dr_bar’s tactic of changing lanes and then making space for me to change, too, does not work. He had made his lane change and just as I was speeding up to make my move, the person in front of me put on their brakes and the moron in the red pickup beside me sped up….I cannot move over…so I wait a bit and when it looks like a gap is there, I once again try….dang…the person in front brakes again…the red pickup once again boots it so I cannot move over…It should be noted that the person in front of me is simply responding to conditions ( however, if they weren’t following the vehicle in front of them so close they wouldn’t have to constantly be braking). Also the vehicle in front of me is van with darkened windows so I cannot see in front of it.
After a couple of more attempts to change lanes, dr_bar finally slows enough so that he can hold back his lane. Keep in mind I’m only a car length behind. The red pickup kept purposefully blocking my access. Every time the gap opened up and I would attempt to move, he would give it gas and prevent me moving over. Suddenly the red pickup accelerates and swerves at the same time to blow right by dr_bar forcing dr_bar to move onto the shoulder. :shock: Yes, that’s correct, the pickup passed him in his lane so that he could get in front of dr_bar. Then he slammed on his brakes. I just don’t understand that sort of mentality. We are all stuck in the traffic going nowhere fast….I don’t know what the driver of the red pickup hoped to gain….as it turned out later he gained nothing….

I was able to now move into the same lane as dr_bar so that we were once again riding staggered. Once past the construction zone (mercifully it was a very small zone) the pace picked up. Suddenly the right lane is zooming along so I make the lane change into it and dr_bar follows suit. The passing lane is still crawling while we are suddenly flying past them in the slow lane….Hey, look at that! There’s the red pickup asleep at the switch stuck in the passing lane while we go riding past…. :mrgreen:
There is justice….. :laughing:

We have finally made it to the Sumas exit. We headed north under the freeway and pulled into the CrossRoads restaurant. Ah-h-h-h, it has air conditioning, cold water and fresh coffee…..We had an enjoyable breakfast while we decided what to do with the rest of our day. Neither one of us wanted to take a chance on Highway 1. We decided to abandon our plans to go to Hope to visit some friends. It’s a good thing we had not called ahead.
We decided to make our way through Abbotsford to Mission via Highway 11. This was a smart move on our part. The ride went smoothly and unobstructed for the rest of the trip. Once in Mission we got onto Highway 7 and carried on to Hemlock Valley.
NOW, I DID NOT KNOW dr_bar needed fuel. :frusty: In my rear view mirror I can usually see when he puts on his signals. I never saw them today. Apparently he kept putting on his signals to go into a gas station, but I just kept on riding. Finally at a stop sign, he pulled up beside me and told me….the next gas station you see, pull in. I told him in future if I miss his signals he should pull over to the side of the road or speed up and blow by me…..
Case in point….yesterday we were riding…dr_bar behind me….I saw his signals go on implying we would be turning at the next turn bay….so I put my signals on to move over….oh, wait, his signals are off now….he must have made a mistake and this is not where he meant to turn after all….so I keep going to where I was originally going to turn….When he got beside me at the red light he said I wanted you to turn back there. I said I was going to turn but you had turned off your signals…..They are self canceling signals and he hadn’t noticed that they had turned off….. :roll:

Meanwhile, back on Hemlock Valley road, dr_bar tells me we can go another 20km before we have to turn back. So, I look at my speedo so that I will know not to go too far.

Hey, look up ahead! We are in what appears to be the middle of nowhere and there is a gas station. While we were there fuelling, there was a steady stream of business. Although it appeared we were in the middle of nowhere, there is actually a reserve there. This one gas station/store is a really bustling community. We chatted with a couple of locals before heading off to the DH twisted edge road. It is a beautiful location. The road meanders along a river then starts making its way up the mountain. We crossed a one lane bridge over the Chehalis river.
The road up is very challenging. For me, that is. There was a couple of kids on dirt bikes making their way down around the twisties. We’re talking 20kmh twisties….The kids had their feet on the ground as they leaned around the curves…they were having a blast….I wonder how long the soles on their shoes will last…..
The road has very steep, very tight curves. There is sand and gravel on these curves so I need to be extra cautious. On the curves where there is no sand and gravel I am much more confident. We have made our way quite high up when I see the road ahead no longer has pavement. Dr_bar said that in the DH book the map showed the road ending. We surmised it was gravel and decided we’d go as far as we could. We stopped where the paved portion ended and turned around. Dr_bar reminded me to be extra careful going downhill on those sandy corners. I thanked him for his reminder and said, “I will be very careful.”
Once we got away from the sandy bits, the rest of the ride down was smooth sailing. We took a break at the one lane bridge so we could enjoy the fresh clean air and enjoy the view of the river and the mountains. The Chehalis is crystal clear. There is a campsite here beside the river. It would be a lovely spot to come back to with a tent and stay for a couple of days.
Back in the saddle, we are now headed to Harrison Hot Springs. We pass by corn fields and dairy farms along the way. This is when your mouth breathing skills come in handy. Sometimes it really smells bad out here when the farmers have fertilized the fields. I point to the sky….there are some parachutists floating down….
Unlike the last time I came here with dr_bar, which is detailed in an earlier blog entry, I have more experience now. This time I can actually spare a second or two once in awhile to enjoy what is around me.
We entered into Harrison and made a slow cruise along the main drag. We, at first, were considering going to Sasquatch Park to have our packed picnic, but suddenly a truck in front of us stopped. The truck let someone off who then got into a big 4x4. The big 4x4 then pulled out right in front of us. :shock: How rude! I truly don’t think the person looked.
I made a lightning fast decision. Suddenly there was very large parking space that has opened up right beside me….Beep, Beep! I pulled into the parking space to claim it. The beep, beep had caught dr_bar’s attention, who then made a u-turn to join me in the parking space.
Parking is v-e-e-e-e-r-r-r-y hard to find along the shoreline. Dr_bar agreed with staying here in Harrison. It was just so darn nice here. We parked our bikes angled in. As we were unpacking our bikes, a little red headed boy came along and was looking at us with rapt attention. I smiled and said hi. He smiled and said hi back at me. He was with his Mom and sister. They kept walking past a few meters, but then the Mom came back and said that her little boy was just crazy about bikes. She said she was worried about when he got older and would want to ride….I assured her that with lessons and the right attitude, it wasn’t so bad. We could tell the little boy was just fascinated, so dr_bar asked if he would like to sit on his bike. He was thrilled to death, so he asked his Mom. Dr_bar put his bike on the centre stand and put the little boy onto the seat. I then let him put on my helmet. His Mom said it was this little guy’s birthday today and that he had just turned four. She was wishing she had her camera for this. Dr_bar took a photo and said we could e-mail it to her. The sister was feeling a bit left out, so dr_bar picked her up and we got another pic with her sitting pillion. Shortly after that family left, a couple of people on bikes came by and pulled into our parking space. We had commandeered this huge parking space which was big enough for 5 or 6 bikes. :D Smiles all around. :D We chatted for several minutes with this couple. He had a big Harley dresser…..she had a new 1100cc V-Star…Finally the man of this couple says, can we get going…I’m needing something cold…..
While dr_bar and I collected our gear, a group of what appeared to be “hard core” bikers walked past. Dr_bar smiled and said,”How ya doin’ today”?
They mostly ignored him…the last guy in the group acknowledging with a grunt…..

I had the impression the friendly Harley guy was referring to a cold beer…..You can never make assumptions about people….We saw them again a few minutes later having their cold ones….at an ice cream parlour
Dr_bar and I were also in the same place having some cold juices when in walked the aforementioned “bikers with attitude”. There they were having ice cream and frozen mochas…..I have the pics to prove it, too. Seems they are just like everyone else after all….they just don’t want anyone to know it.
The Muddy Waters café where we were all sitting had a tent set up on the boulevard. It was for a live 3 piece band that was just setting up. After we finished our juices we sauntered over to the beach to find a place to have our picnic. As we perused the place looking for a shady spot, I asked” Any reason why we couldn’t sit on that bench right in front of us?” D’oh! It was in the shade of a willow tree. Lucky us!
We people watched while we enjoyed our food. There was a nice breeze today and on the other side of the “man-made lagoon”, lots of people were taking advantage of it. There were sailboats, parasailers and sail boarders. Wow! Every once in awhile one of those parasailers would catch a draft and leap high into the air.
We stayed on our bench in the shade for quite a while. The band that had set up was playing some good music and we had no reason to leave. We commented how fortunate we are to live in a place where people could go and play on a beach and swim in the water without fear of having a bomb drop on them. In so many parts of the world, there is so much unrest, it makes me glad to be here.
Eventually, we decide to take a walk along the spit and around the lagoon. It is so beautiful here. We can see Echo island one way and when we turn around we see forests and when we turn around again we see the mountains. There is a reason why our province is called “Super, Natural BC.”
The time is now getting late. We have a couple of hours riding ahead of us to get home, so we start making our way back to the bikes.
It turns out now, ana or not, that it was a good idea to get my light fixed after all. Half of our ride home will be in the dark.
While we were waiting at a stop sign to leave, a white Corvette came by. Apparently there was an attractive woman in the car…..dr_bar said we could swap places….I think he wanted to flirt with her….
It was a good ride heading back. The sun was obscured by the mountains so we didn’t have it glaring into our eyes as we headed west. By the time we got into Mission the sun was getting dim, so we pulled over in town to change from sunglasses to regular glasses. I also took the opportunity to put on my reflective ankle bands.
We carried on through Mission towards Maple Ridge. It was dark before we reached Maple Ridge, but there is decent lighting and the road is in good condition. We took the Mary Hill By-Pass, United Blvd and Lougheed Hwy to get back. I wanted to avoid the freeway. Dr_bar came by so we could have a bite to eat before calling it a day. It was a long day, but a good day. He took my camera chip home with him to put all my pics on a CD. I can now share some of the biking pics.
We rode close to 300km today and I could feel them in the shoulder blades….although I think that may have more to do with the ride up the mountain on those scary tight twisties…..

Iron Butt ride….here I come….. :laughing:

blues2cruise

A few visual aids

#25 Unread post by blues2cruise »

First, the author....although I think this pic belongs in Soapbox in the sexiest woman thread... :laughing: :laughing:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... erbabe.jpg
This is from the BC Day long weekend. We stopped for water break at the Chehalis River in the Hemlock Valley.

The next one is me outside a friend's place. She thought my taking up motorcycling was a very cool thing to do....hence...the pic.

My first real ride shortly after the instructor said, "Go forth and ride". I had an unexpected vacation day near the beginning of November, so I called dr_bar...."It's a sunny day, wanna ride?"

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... esside.jpg
Last edited by blues2cruise on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

blues2cruise

Links to some photobucket pics

#26 Unread post by blues2cruise »

My very first ride with someone from TMW was with honda599 and dr_bar.
honda599 led us through some very interesting back roads out in the Mission area. We also took a sidetrip to Whonnock Lake where we stopped for a break. Proof I can go on gravel....I just don't like it....it scares me.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... se/024.jpg

We must have looked friendly....so many other bikers came to share our space.http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... fbikes.jpg

We made a 4 year old very happy....and it was his birthday....sweet.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... earold.jpg

Rock or Country..... you decide....Back in the saddle...or...On the road again...

We're heading home from Harrison and it's getting dusky..
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... inhome.jpg

Can you see me? I have donned my reflective gear. Half of the ride home was in the dark....like much of my life. :laughing:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... atwork.jpg
Last edited by blues2cruise on Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: A few visual aids

#27 Unread post by Gummiente »

blues2cruise wrote:First, the author....although I think this pic belongs in Soapbox in the sexiest woman thread... :
It probably would be if it were large enough for my middle aged eyes to see... any chance of a bigger pic?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise

#28 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Your wish is my command....I have re-done the links so that you get bigger pics now. :)

Gummiente
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#29 Unread post by Gummiente »

blues2cruise wrote:I have re-done the links so that you get bigger pics now. :)
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :righton:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise

I missed one.

#30 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I managed to get the pic before the greasy finger smears and the gum incident. This was from my Victoria trip.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/ ... se/004.jpg