Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1421 Unread post by Hanson »

I love your riding stories.

As I cut my own hair about every Friday with a #1/2 clipper, no one can tell when I have helmet hair or not.

I have been reading a lot on DPS as you suggested, a great resource, and I am looking forward to you posting picks.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#1422 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I'm pouting. :( My new 3/4 helmet isn't coping with the extreme we've been having.

I was so happy to find a 3/4 helmet that fit so well......

The glue that is supposed to keep the trim on the helmet is so soft that the trim is sliding off.

I'll have to return it....so I'm wearing my full face again...

I sure did love the feel of riding with the 3/4 helmet. Lots of air blowing on my face.....It made me understand what the phrase of feeling the freedom meant....it sure did feel freer. (more free? free-er? :dunno: )

Bundled up in gear and a full face helmet does not give me the feeling of all that freedom.

I still love the feeling of riding.....Sometimes I still marvel at the fact that I ride a motorcycle....

blues2cruise

#1423 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I rode my motorcycle to go visit my Mom this weekend. I caught the first ferry on Saturday morning....that meant leaving home at 6:00am. It sure was nice traveling with so little traffic....although the ferry was almost full.

It's been a while since I rode twisty roads....Highway 101 is a winding road that travels from Langdale, Gibson's, Sechelt, Madeira Park, Egmont. My ride is an hour to madeira park. I rode like a novice for the first little while. :roll:

The Sechelt area has a forest fire burning...currently there are 177 forest fires burning in the province of British Columbia. We've had a record breaking dry spell and record breaking heat....record breaking for our province...

This morning when we got up, we notice that everything looked yellow...it was as though the windows were made of amber glass....it was because overnight the wind changed and the smoke and ash from the Sechelt fire had blown north. The sky was white instead of blue...and as the morning progressed....it got yellow...all the scenery around looked yellow...

This picture shows the colour/the tiny red circle is the sun trying to poke through the smoke and ash. It was also quite cool this morning because the sun was blocked.

This next picture is the view from my Mom's back deck. I'm not kidding...the colour is really what it looked like outside.
Amber view from back deck.jpg
It was also almost chilly this morning because the smoke and ash blocked the warmth of the sun.

I left a bit earlier than usual because I wasn't sure what I would come across heading to the ferry to go home. I'm so glad I left early....the bypass hill that leads down to the ferry was backed up halfway up the hill. I scooted down the left lane....that is supposed to be for reservations and heading to Port Mellon....I moved around the stopped traffic and got in front of the cones..... :D I got to go into the ferry parking lot and go to the front of the line for the next sailing.... :D If I had been in my car, I'd have been there for possibly a 2 sailing wait.

In our province, we can thank BCCOM for making it possible for motorcycle to get on the ferries with such ease....

Once back onto my side of the water, it's about a 45 minute ride home. It was smoking hot......when I got home I saw that the temperature outside my place was 36 degrees Celsius. That's about 102 F. We're not used to that kind of heat.

Wearing full gear and a full face helmet does have its disadvantages in this kind of weather....I had to drink almost 2 litres of cold water once I got home....
Attachments
Amber sky tiny sun.jpg

blues2cruise

#1424 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Yesterday...11 hours and over 300 miles....crossed the border into Washington State with a friend. We rode our motorcycles through Lyndon to Bellingham and along Chuckanut Drive. We stopped for coffee and pie in Edison. Rode over the bridge onto Whidby Island. Had lunch on a dock in Coupeville. Rode the Mukilteo Ferry to Everret, Highway 9 and supper at Blue Mountain Grill near Acme...and back to Sumas...

Then as I rode home heading west from Mission, I was treated to one of the most spectacular sunset skies ever.
It was an excellent day.

The US border guy was even friendly....He asked where I was going....I told him that me and the guy behind were going to the Chuckanut....and Whidby Island......if you'll let me.... :mrgreen: I told him I needed to justify my expensive passport....that I'd only been down about three times since I got it....
He asked.... "Where do you live?" "Yellowknife?" :laughing: I told him I just don't shop very much....He said "Apparently".... with a smile on his face...then he said enjoy your day.

Unfortunately for me....I must have inadvertently turned on the camera...because when I went to use it, the battery was dead. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned....

If you are ever in Washington state then you will find plenty of nice roads to travel without having to go on the Interstate. We were only on I 5 for a short time yesterday so we could get from Everret to Marysville to access Highway 9. We didn't have a map to find the back road....

I'll make sure the battery is charged for next time.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1425 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:The US border guy was even friendly....
Rare..... but it happens even to me on occasion. CBSA officers are typically friendlier, with a few notable exceptions (Landsdowne, ON).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise

#1426 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:The US border guy was even friendly....
Rare..... but it happens even to me on occasion. CBSA officers are typically friendlier, with a few notable exceptions (Landsdowne, ON).
Sometimes it's easier heading south for a day trip than it is coming home. The customs people are so worried someone might bring back a pack of smokes or a bottle of alcohol....I never have either....wonder what would happen if I said....no sir, I didn't buy any...but I bought this cute little gun....... hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'd probably still be sitting in the customs office. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: with handcuffs on.....

Nah....I don't think it would be wise to joke like that. Fun to imagine it though. :mrgreen:

blues2cruise

#1427 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I went for a ride on Tuesday. I was having a vacation week....except for my ride....I would have been better off at work....some people can suck the life right out of you....

I rode to Britannia for coffee and a breakfast bun....and bought 2 pounds of coffee beans to bring home.
I rode past Squamish to Brohm Lake and did short walk on the trail. My HD motorcycle boots can do more than just look good on my bike.... :mrgreen:
Rocking boots.jpg
boots and roots.JPG
These boots are comfortable enough to go walking in and they performed quite well on the trail.

Of course now I have to give them a polish....

blues2cruise

#1428 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Last weekend Doc and I went for a short road trip. I had asked him if he felt inclined to go for a day ride. It's been a long time since we went riding just for the pleasure of it. Sometimes life and circumstances get in the way.

He said yes to a whole day. :D Therefore I asked him if he wanted to go to Osoyoos. He was hoping to go for a few days at some point....so this was a perfect opportunity. I could only stay one day....but he was on vacation time from work so he stayed a for a few. He got a campsite booked....fortunately we were tenting or there would have been zero space. He and his family have been going to that particular campground for many years....it's a favourite place for him. I am indifferent.

Anyway...we met at the gas station near my place at 7AM. Bikes fuelled and bottles of water for the journey.....He had told me he only had a few hours of sleep and nothing to eat yet. :roll: But he was fine, he said.
We rode as far as Langley where I led us off the freeway to a close by Starbuck's. He claimed he was fine....but I thought it might be prudent to get him something to eat and some coffee prior to going any further.
Yeah, yeah....I know...he's a grown man...however....I'd rather lose a bit of time than possible having him fall asleep or get light headed from having an empty stomach.

Our official breakfast stop was in Hope, BC.
Breakfast stop Hope Aug 1.jpg
DB going to Osoyoos Aug 1.jpg
We also topped up the gas tanks prior to leaving Hope.

When we ride together I ride in front. I tend to be a bit more of a conservative rider than Doc. When he rides with me, he gets better gas mileage. :laughing:

We weren't in an great rush...we had all day..so we were riding at the speed limit. The Hope Princeton Highway that travels through Manning Park often has police patrolling the highway. Sure enough...there were 2 radar traps set up. When I see the amount of cars pulled over getting tickets, I feel good about taking it easy.

The next stop for us was a brake check pullout. Apparently Doc had been flashing his lights before that to try to get me to pull over....I never saw them.....it was time for a potty break...

Funny thing about that brake check area.....several cars and occupants were pulled in to take a break or use the outhouses...but no truckers. Finally one trucker pulled in...sat in his truck for a few minutes....making sure there were no police in sight....and he left. He never did check his brakes. It's actually a common sight.....The thing about this particular brake check are is that the hill that comes after it is very long and very steep. There are two run away lanes on this hill.

After that pulled into Princeton to fuel up again and get some refreshments. By now the temperature outside was smoking hot. Approximately 36 degrees Celsius. Although it was very hot....I was managing ok.
Even though I said I would always wear a full face helmet on the highway....it was too hot for it. I wore my 3/4 helmet. It allowed me to drink lots of water while riding. Doc on the other hand....was having a hard time with the heat. He poured water over himself in an attempt to cool down. It was so hot though, that his shirt dried in about three minutes.

This is just small spot on the road by Sidewinder Provincial Park.
Along highway 3.jpg
Zena and Doc's at Stemwinder Aug 1.jpg

When we got to Keremeos, I found a shady place to pull over to ask if he needed a break here....He was fine...so we kept going. The ride from Princeton to Keremeos to though Cawston to Osoyoos is fantastic. Traffic is light....civilization is sparse. Rolling hills, vineyards, orchards dot the landscape.

We made a stop in downtown Osoyoos....downtown Osoyoos takes about 2 minutes to go through.

I was so pleased with myself when I packed for the trip...I packed very light....but I forgot to pack a towel. :roll: We made a stop at the popular Home Hardware...before heading to the campsite.

When we got to the campsite, Doc set up his tent trailer and I set up my humble tent. All around us people were "Glamping".

Doc got his tent trailer partially done but he was not feeling well. He went to buy some ice and a jug of water.....he was suffering from heat stroke. It took about an hour....but he finally started feeling better and finished the tent awning.

It was 42 degrees Celsius there. I knew it would be hot....so I packed only a sheet for a blanket.

Zena at the campsite.
Zena at campsite.jpg
Doc's tent trailer is in the background.

After we got everything set up, we rode our bikes back into town for dinner. We went to a good Italian restaurant....After we got back...I snapped this shot...it's starting to get dark...

I think we were both too tired to go to the beach...so we sat around and talked and watched the world go by. This included bats flying up in the trees as well little kids going by on their scooters with wheels that lit up. The bats don't bother anybody. They eat bugs...so the mosquito population there is almost nil. I actually did not get any bites. Heck...I can go out to my small garden at home to water the plants and come in with three new bites.

Part of my camping gear includes a self inflating pad. I worked very hard at home to get all the air out to be able to pack it onto the bike. I got my tent up and bedding ready....I was looking forward to crawling into bed....granted it's not so easy crawling out in the morning anymore....the body is getting to old for sleeping on the ground. I tossed and turned all night.

The ground felt hard....my hip was hurting...and I got cold. Very cold. I made a middle of the night trip to the washroom and when I came back to the tent, I found my long sleeved shirt and the bath towel I had bought in town. The bath towel helped to act like a blanket....
Finally it was daylight....I got up about 7 and went to have a nice long hot shower. I think it cost me three dollars. Doc was still asleep in his tent trailer so I quietly packed away my things and rolled up the tent, etc., When I pulled the sleeping pad out of the tent was when I realized I had forgotten to close the valve. I actually smacked myself upside the head.

It has inflated just fine when I set up my camp....but I got distracted and forgot to close it so the air would stay in. Of course...as soon as I lay on it, the air came out. No wonder the ground felt so hard and I was so cold.

I had everything of mine stowed away and just sat quietly in the zero gravity chair while the campground slowly came to life.
Doc got up about 8:30 and after getting ready we rode into town for breakfast. Osoyoos has one of the few remaining Smitty's restaurants. After breakfast, I headed for home and Doc headed for the campsite....and the lake.

Because it was the middle day of a long weekend...traffic was light. I never went over the speed limit... but made good time. I stopped only a twice for quick photo stops...and once for fuel.

Here is the first of my photo stops....same thing...just a couple of different angles...
zena and big chair 1.jpg
zena and big chair 2.jpg
This big chair is what gave me the idea for the riding game.

I stopped in Princeton for fuel. There were a few other bikers at that gas station....I was behind one of them when he decided to start it up....It sounded like an explosion and I jumped about 2 feet back and shrieked... He hadn't realized someone was behind hm...he smiled and said sorry....

I stopped again near the Hope Slide area. Where I stopped was across from Sunshine Valley. The old Hope Princeton used to be on the other side of the meadows....but when the slide happened part of the road way was gone. I remember at the time it was a devastating slide....not just for the environment...but for the fact that a few people were trapped and died under the debris. For a long time, it felt eerie to me to drive over that knowing that dead people were under there.

I stopped at the meadow....a lot of the highway is very winding....and not safe to make a stop....so I picked this portion because of its long straight stretch....It was rather windy and the gusts kept buffeting me....
Meadow old hope highway.jpg
Just before the ATV's.jpg
I left after just 2...aside from the wind....some ATV's came along and stirred up a lot of dust.

I rode into Hope for some late lunch and then headed straight home. I didn't even bother to stop at Chilliwack for fuel....it costs about 14 cents a litre less than in town.

I figure 5-1/2 hours of riding time was good for me....I usually take longer because I stop a lot to gawk at the scenery.

Now I need to clean the bike. It is covered with bugs.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#1429 Unread post by dr_bar »

Great write up...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1430 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote:......Doc got his tent trailer partially done but he was not feeling well. He went to buy some ice and a jug of water.....he was suffering from heat stroke. It took about an hour....but he finally started feeling better and finished the tent awning.

It was 42 degrees Celsius there. I knew it would be hot....so I packed only a sheet for a blanket.
42 Celsius is too damned hot. I'm getting to the point where I just won't go riding when it's so hot. It's not fun, and if I'm not having fun, why do it?

I got heat exhaustion coming back from Canada through New England in September 2013. Stopped at a country store, almost dropped the bike getting off. Had a 2+ hour lunch in the shade, with tons of water, and wet towels on my neck, before I felt OK to start riding again.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S