Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1381 Unread post by Hanson »

Blues,

I think the DL1000 has the hydraulic clutch, but the DL650A does not. I am quite certain that my 2014 DL650A has a cable at the clutch lever. It is the 2015 DL650A that is available in Blues blue, at least in the states. Canadian colours might be different than the colors available in the US.

Suzuki has also expanded the V-Strom line this year and is now offering a DL1000 that has sporty luggage that I think looks great and a new DL650A XT that has a beak and wire wheals. Suzuki may have made other changes for 2015. I have had a sit on a 2014 DL1000 and it looked like wind management was going to be an even bigger problem than on the 650. I think Suzuki is offering models with body work designed for the marketing department instead of for rider comfort.

In any event, I hope you find a moto that is a great fit for you ergonomically and allows you to ride wherever you want to ride. If you like the bike, but it has a few problems, I would recommend making a few notes and then asking for help on stromtrooper.com. The depth of knowledge available on that site for these bikes is fantastic and it might be that any issues that you have are easily corrected.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#1382 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You might be right.....there was also a 1000 on the floor. It was white. It had the same accessories as that 650 blue one.

I'm going to go look on the weekend.

blues2cruise

#1383 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I went to the Suzuki shop today. Their demo bike was gone. So no test ride today. Someone bought the demo bike.

Anyway.....I got some questions answered....

Although the 650 V-Strom has a cable clutch, it is actually a light clutch...I asked about chain maintenance and decided I could probably handle a chain drive if I got a chain drive bike. The rep there showed me what is involved and explained how to do it....

The one they have in the shop is a 2014....a white one...fully kitted....If it sells before spring, there is the 2015 blue ones coming in.

Anyway...that's the start of my research....

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#1384 Unread post by Hanson »

This sounds like a good start.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#1385 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Blues

A new bike on the horizon, eh? Exciting.

I've pasted a link, below, to a British DL650 owner's site. I don't know if this is of any use to you since there may be slight differences in the bikes, but when I was considering buying one, I found the people on the forums to be very knowledgeable and both friendly and helpful. (They even set out to persuade me that, as much as they loved it, the DL650 was *not* the best bike for the job I wanted it to do, and gave me loads of advice on alternatives.) Being a UK site there is lots of banter, but a wealth of information as well. If nothing else it will give you another angle on the bike.

DL650s are called V-Stroms in the UK - I'm not sure if it is the same over there with you.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/

Happy bike hunting.

Hud
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise

#1386 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thank you. Yes, they are also called V-Strom's in Canada.

I won't know for sure until I get to test ride one....

Thanks for the link.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1387 Unread post by jstark47 »

Hanson wrote:I think the DL1000 has the hydraulic clutch, but the DL650A does not.
Yes, DL1000 is a hydraulic clutch
blues2cruise wrote:Although the 650 V-Strom has a cable clutch, it is actually a light clutch...
Glad to hear that because the DL1000 clutch is decidedly NOT light. It's a pain (literally) to get stuck in a traffic jam on that bike.
blues2cruise wrote:I asked about chain maintenance and decided I could probably handle a chain drive if I got a chain drive bike. The rep there showed me what is involved and explained how to do it....
With modern chains, this is really not a big deal. I clean and lube mine.... infrequently...... and they're fine, my bikes' chains have lasted 10's of thousands of miles. One very helpful thing though is a center stand- if the bike doesn't come with one, have the dealer install one. Makes the little bit of chain maintenance needed even easier.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise

#1388 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
Hanson wrote:I think the DL1000 has the hydraulic clutch, but the DL650A does not.
Yes, DL1000 is a hydraulic clutch
blues2cruise wrote:Although the 650 V-Strom has a cable clutch, it is actually a light clutch...
Glad to hear that because the DL1000 clutch is decidedly NOT light. It's a pain (literally) to get stuck in a traffic jam on that bike.
blues2cruise wrote:I asked about chain maintenance and decided I could probably handle a chain drive if I got a chain drive bike. The rep there showed me what is involved and explained how to do it....
With modern chains, this is really not a big deal. I clean and lube mine.... infrequently...... and they're fine, my bikes' chains have lasted 10's of thousands of miles. One very helpful thing though is a center stand- if the bike doesn't come with one, have the dealer install one. Makes the little bit of chain maintenance needed even easier.
The heavy clutch on my cruiser is one of the reasons I'm changing to a different bike. My 650 V-Star was so easy....It was the fellow in the shop who suggested I compare the 650 and the 1000. The 650 had enough free play that the hand doesn't have to exert pressure for the whole distance. It was significantly easier than the 1000.

Also regarding chain maintenance...unless I've been riding in the rain....it most likely won't need any maintenance from me...it will get maintained every time I take it in for service.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#1389 Unread post by High_Side »

My first time back here in a while and now Blues is looking at getting a new bike! Hopefully you can get a demo on a V-Strom before buying it. They are great bikes and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them, but it's always nice to try before you buy - especially when it is so radically different than what you are currently riding.

Good luck with the shopping.

blues2cruise

#1390 Unread post by blues2cruise »

High_Side wrote:My first time back here in a while and now Blues is looking at getting a new bike! Hopefully you can get a demo on a V-Strom before buying it. They are great bikes and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them, but it's always nice to try before you buy - especially when it is so radically different than what you are currently riding.

Good luck with the shopping.
Thanks. I'll get a demo...it's just that they sold the one they had. I'll wait until Spring...they'll have another then.