MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

MZ33: Taking Aim at Colorado

#1 Unread post by MZ33 »

If it were held annually, I probably would have waited a year before setting my sites on the AMA Women’s Motorcycle Conference, but it isn’t. It is held every four years, and I don’t want to wait that long. Keystone, Colorado. Over 1300 miles. Hmm.

If you count the 125cc scooter, and most don’t, I started riding in August 2007. If you only count the 650 V Star, which is much heavier and had a much higher learning curve, then I started riding in April 2008. I logged roughly 3,000 miles last year, and learned a lot. Among other things, I learned that I wasn’t going 1300 miles on that bike without a whole lot of modifications. Seat, yes, no surprise, and bigger saddlebags, of course, but what was I going to do about the vibration from the handlebars into my hands? Noticeable after an hour, barely tolerable after two. I know I should take frequent breaks, but it seemed to me that this would be unbearable by the fifth or sixth hour.

For a bike with so many aftermarket parts and accessories, you’d think someone would have figured out how to fix this. But it doesn’t seem to bother very many people that own the bike. I never hear about it from other owners. Blues went from Vancouver to San Fran, for Pete’s sake!

So, I stepped back and took a hard look at the bike, what I liked and didn’t like about it. I talked to more than a few people, and they weren't surprised that a 650 V-twin vibrated enough to annoy me at highway speeds. And I do have a history of carpal tunnel-like symptoms several years back, but once I stopped having to write on triplicate forms and type all day, that went away.

If I had my druthers, my feet would be under me, not in front of me, and I wouldn't have my hands so far out there. What was all this talk about "flickable" I heard on posts and reviews of other bikes? It doesn't take much to scrape the floorboards on the V Star.

But I loved flat-footing, and of all the stock cruisers, it fit me best, even the handlebars. I screwed up buying the windshield--it sits right where it can buffet my head the most, and the noise is downright painful. Earplugs became a necessity, not an option.

It was my husband, whose middle name should be "Supportive", who suggested that maybe the cruiser style is not for me. He was the one first interested in bikes, he was the one who loved the cruiser. I knew I didn't want a sport bike, so I thought that meant I wanted a cruiser. The Ninja 250, although more standard than sport according to sport riders, was still too forward-leaning and too much on the hands for me--and probably too small for a long trip. I was leaning toward a V Strom, but where to find one to sit on??

I patiently waited for the Cleveland Int'l Motorcycle Show. Waited and waited. Still waited. FINALLY! Went to the show, sat on everything I could possibly want, including the new 950 V Star. Now that really fit me. Pulling the handlebars back would be even more perfect. But a) this was its first production year and I don't care who makes it, I don't want to be the one who gets stuck with the bugs, and b) was I really going to want to go for extended miles with my legs out front? With floorboards, it would probably be fine.

Then I met Sue, who was at a women's booth at the show. Shorter than me. Showed me her boots she uses on her dirtbike, with the 2 inch platforms!! (I wonder how she gets her toe under the shifter?) Anyway, I told her my "issues", and that I was here to sit on standard bikes, especially the V Strom. She told me to also have a hard look at the Kawasaki Versys, a similar bike that was lighter in weight, and more importantly, the OEM gel seat lowered the seat 2 inches when selected as an option. That was before lowering the suspension. She also was the first to tell me, since I am not strictly a newbie, that I could acclimate to not flat-footing anymore.

To make a long story less long, the Versys can be lowered down to a 29" seat height, using the gel seat, a lowering kit, and dropping down the rear suspension and front forks. The V Strom could only come down about an inch. Plus, I got to test ride a Versys with the seat and the lowered suspension. I was really, really pleased with how it handled, and the reduced vibration (although I know that by some standards, it still vibrates.) I can sit up, I can look around, I can keep my feet under me--so that the MSF drill going over a 2x4 actually makes sense. Trying to add throttle and stand on my feet (remember, they're in front of me) was an exercise in futility on the cruisers.

So now, I have the bike--a significant step in the direction of Colorado. A beautiful, red, 2008 Versys with 1100 miles on it--it was a demo bike, so it gets the full factory warranty. It was also the store owner's bike: Jeff Hinds, who races in the Thruxton cup, and is not taller than me. He hadn't changed the suspension because he is quite proficient, but he had outfitted the bike with the gel seat, a really cool windshield, and Versys side bags made by Givi. Everything I wanted and nothing I don't.

The temperatures have finally turned in a spring-like direction. Time to ride.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: MZ33: Taking Aim at Colorado

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

MZ33 wrote:.........he had outfitted the bike with the gel seat, a really cool windshield, and Versys side bags made by Givi.
Want some unsolicited touring advice? Add a Givi top case if you're not already planning to. Givi makes a topcase rack for Versys that will fit any of their Monokey or Monolock models - that's a lot of choices.

I had V35 sidecases for my V-strom, finally added a E46 top case last summer. Don't know why I held out so long, was concerned about the weight high up I guess. In truth you don't feel the weight. Now I put the sidecases on only when needed, but the top case stays on constantly - it's just too darned handy to do without!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

I agree about the top box. I always hated them, I thought they were so ugly. Then I put one on the Connie for a trip and I loved it. I bought a better one and now it stays on the bike and the saddlebags get put up.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

Have you considered a "bar snake" for vibration. This a a long piece of rubber that goes inside handle bars to cut vibs.

Also so ppl don't get confused. There is no town in Colorado named Keystone. Keystone is the resort name, the nearest town (and post office) is Dillon. If it is still there the Cougar Diner in Dillon on HWY 9 is a good place to eat cheap, at least for Summit County (Breakfast and lunch only). Nearest Wally world is in Frisco. Don't count on Spring type weather here. It can get below freezing even in July and August at nights so don't forget to bring plenty of cold weather gear.

While staying at Keystone make the loop through Breckinridge over Hoosier Pass through Fairplay and Buena Vista to Leadville (in Leadville the Golden Burro is a good cafe) then take US 24 to I 70 through Camp Hale and Minturn, from Minturn take Shrine Pass road to I 70 if not afraid of gravel (this is actually much better scenery going Southbound), otherwise stay on 24 until you get to I 70 then return to Dillon on I 70 through Vail.

Also ride Loveland Pass US 6. (this is the same road that goes from Dillon to Keystone) This was the pass that has been replaced by I 70 and the tunnels. Still used for all hazardous material not allowed in tunnel so often has heavy truck traffic.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Very nice intro to your new blog! We're all excited for you! (Especially those like me that get to see you riding it... :mrgreen: )
I also agree with slimcolo, but I'll add Wolf Creek pass if you really want some gorgeous scenery... Very steep (known for cars overheating and brakes catching fire) but absolutely beautiful and would be amazing on a bike (haven't had the chance to ride it yet).
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by MZ33 »

Thanks for the input, guys!! Of course I will happily take advice, it is one of the reasons I'm out here. Did I say "everything I want" ?? Ah, well, I really meant "everything I want to start with." :wink: Yes, a top case is a definite likelihood on the want list, but there are issues with fit. The OEM Versys side cases, although made by Givi, will not fit with the OEM Versys top case, also made by Givi. In order to make it all work, SW Moto frames need to be incorporated. I have an email from someone on the Versys forums letting me know some options, but I'm waiting on all that for a while. I was also looking at the one of the frames that Shad uses--it might be compatible with the current side case frame. Or I might just strap a soft bag on top for the trip. Glad to hear the V Strom didn't suffer from top weight issues, but yours is 1000, not 650. Do you suppose that makes a lot of difference? The Versys front end is probably lighter than the 650 V Strom, too, since the whole bike is a little lighter.

If the Versys vibes start to concern me, I will definitely look into the bar snakes. I messed with different grips & grip covers, which helped some but not enough, so I was reluctant to keep ordering stuff and not having it work. And I thought bar snakes were for race bikes? Every time I googled for solutions to the V Star handlebar vibration, I got little help. Lotsa stuff for Harleys, but not for little V Stars. :cry:

The rides in Colorado sound awesome. Thanks for the tips. ESPECIALLY about the cold temps in August. I plan to track the temps before I leave but I sure wouldn't have expected below freezing! :shock: I thought it was bad when I was scraping frost off my windshield in Syracuse in June.

Wrider, I would love to meet up with you (and slim!)--maybe all of the TMW folks could get together, like Lion Lady, coffee brake, follow, and anyone else hoping to head for the hills (with a capital H). I love the name of the Golden Burro.

Today, my husband and I went to a "Crash Course for Motorcyclists" taught by Accident Scene Management, Inc. But this post is long enough, so I'll save that for tomorrow.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

fYI the Golden Burro has a attached bar called the Brass "O Ring".

You might also look into padded fingerless gloves like people wear when using a jack hammer.

As to temperature dont be scared but the cold does happen. One year on the way to Sturgis stayed in Leadville and woke up to gun shots (camped next door to a skeet range) and 28F

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#8 Unread post by MZ33 »

the Brass "O Ring".
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Love that!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

MZ33 wrote:Glad to hear the V Strom didn't suffer from top weight issues, but yours is 1000, not 650. Do you suppose that makes a lot of difference?
Nope. DL650's aren't all that much lighter than DL1000's. I think I just had a prejudice against top boxes, which I'm glad I've overcome. My wife's BMW G650X weighs over 100 lbs less than your Versys, and she's got a little Givi E30 top box on it. She says it doesn't affect handling at all. As long as you keep the load within the box's weight specs, you should be fine.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#10 Unread post by MZ33 »

^ That's good to know, thanks!!

As I mentioned before we went to a "Crash Course yesterday, a course aimed at motorcyclists about what to do at the scene of a motorcycle crash—a sensible approach, since they may well be at the scene from the beginning. For me, it was largely refresher about first aid techniques, which was still a good thing. But the one thing I most wanted to know I learned: how and when to remove a full-face helmet while protecting the spine. I also learned neat ways to treat a sucking chest wound with a plastic baggie, real-life jaw thrust for emergency breathing, and how to move someone who absolutely needs to be moved, even if they outweigh me. I have an idea of the bare essentials for a first aid kit: a lot can be done with just an emergency blanket, trauma scissors, sterile saline, a clean/sterile ace wrap, and tape, all in the afore-mentioned plastic baggie. There were more items, one could pack a duffle with them, but for me personally, these will be fine. Gloves, an emergency breathing mask, and sterile gauze if space allows. Next, cold packs or hot packs, depending on weather. Also included are some non-medical tips, such as assessing the scene for safety and such. It doesn’t replace good first aid and CPR courses, but it reinforces those and adds a lot of helpful hints. Not only were the instructors riders, but one was a retired paramedic and the other an ER nurse, so they had in-the-trenches knowledge that was great. I do recommend taking it if one gets the chance, but it would probably be less confusing and more beneficial to take basic first aid and CPR first.

It was held at A.D. Farrow, which is apparently the oldest Harley dealership in the nation. I have never had such full-immersion into HD culture before. :D I had thought about riding up, but John’s bike is still in the shop, so we went together by car. My Versys and riding gear would have been sooo out of place! Even in street clothes nearly everybody was Harley-ized: Harley shirts, vests, pins, patches, boots, earrings. And the instructors knew their crowd, because while they talked about cutting through leathers & such, they also mention, “you know, those riding jackets some wear that have the thing down the back to protect the spine?” as if it really were a foreign idea. And bikes! Bikes, bikes, bikes! Big s-h-i-n-y bikes! It was a lot of fun, and they fed us some awesome BBQ pulled pork. Hubby kept walking by the pot, inhaling deeply. That was one happy man, I can tell you. :laughing: He noticed that even the biggest, brawniest Harleys didn't feel quite as big to him as they used to. We sat side by side on a couple of Electra-glides, I think it was, and I just laughed. It would be pointless for us each to own one, because there was an entire sofa chair behind each of us. :wink: And that dashboard--my goodness!

If I had a Harley, I think I'd have to get a trike. If I dropped one of those paint jobs, I'd have a stroke right then and there. They fit John pretty well, but he kind of likes a quieter bike, so I doubt that he'd ever spring for a Harley. They are fun to visit, though!

We dodged raindrops today and reorganized the garage so that it can fit 2 motorcycles. Yayyyyy! And I'm washing my white riding jacket. 4 days and it looks like I was under the bike instead of on it. :roll: But it is pretty visible--well, if I keep it clean :oops: .