NorthernPetes Bike Adventure

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

NorthernPetes Bike Adventure

#1 Unread post by NorthernPete »

It was suggested I start one of these for my restoration project. my 1983 Seca 400 XS

June 8th

Sigh, if its not one thing its another, got my carbs in finally, only to discover Im missing a few things to actually attach them to the bike. also found that all the bolt holes to attach my pipes to the heads are stripped.. i like nothing better then tapping blind holes! oh well, no one said my restoration would be easy I suppose. But I can see the light... should I walk to it though? lol. Well, its an interesting little thing to say the least. Ill post a pic once I get the pipes all straightened out.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

June 11

Got my Carberator parts in yesterday, so hopefully Ill be able to get it started up this week. Im all antsy to hear thios thing. I am going to have to macguiver a little bracket for my exhaust though, the muffler doesnt exaclty line up..umm, with anything, I tried to put it where Ive seen others but only suceeded in bending my foot peg guard. *sigh* but I got it all straightened out and have learned that if it dont fit, use a bigger hammer isnt allways the best way of doing things. But Ive got a plan, and we'll see how it goes!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

June 12 (13th, pretty close)

Well, got the carbs on, bloody hell, what a PAIN IN THE "O Ring"! I had a hell of a time getting all the fittings on. (I assume that they carbs should come apart, but the screws on mine dont wanna move, so I had an interesting time fitting my Intakes back through the air filter box. dont ask) but they are on, the cables are attached, everything seems all right. Tommorrow Im gonna hook up my fuel lines (have to go se where they go to first) and try to fire it up. It turns over though!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#4 Unread post by NorthernPete »

June 15

Well, she runs! Man, what an awsome feeling, to take something that had no life and hear it turn over and catch! louder then I expected, but that could have something to do with the exhaust not quite fitting the way it should, Im off to Canadian Tire to pick up some exhaust pipe putty repair stuff, Im gonna try to seal up the hole a little, just a slight gap is all, should be much of a problem. Man, Im feeling good. Im going to get my M1 as soon as the bike is in the shop and road safetied. Nows when they are going to find the big problem I know (Do I sound pessimistic, Ill keep my expectations low, that way, if its really farked up, I wont be as dissapointed, and if its not, Ill be thrilled...
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

June25

Sigh, I guess my hopes were not as low as I thought,m cause I got some news that sort of took me down a peg. I need new fork seals and rear wheel bearings, and since those are things Im not really prepared to do myself, I asked, how much? the dealer quoted me $500 :shock: Umm, considering the bike aint worth that much,m I decided to take it else where for the work, and found a much cheaper garage to do the work, and I ordered my own parts. so hopefully he is able to do the work. Ill find out next week. but the main problem I have is in the shed today, I open the door and am greeted by the heady fumes of gasoline.. the pet stick was leaking ALOT through the on possition (bad seals and o rings Im thinking) so that got dismantled, and Im waiting on parts for that now. Oh and I broke a bolt of on the horn cover (No big deal< but stilla "pee" off) Its depressing to go from having your bike go from looking street ready to back down to the frame in a matter of days..oh well, another day in the life of restoring a 22 year old bike I guess...
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

July 7

Well, bike is at a back yard mechanic to get the work done on her. (fork seals, rear wheel bearings, rear brake shaft and carb clean up) I replaced all the petcock internals and its still leaking, so the carbs gummed up. Fortunately with the mechanic that I have doing the work, he said hed show me how to open the carbs up and work on them since I have no idea. Nice guy eh? and at 20 bucks an hour labour a bargooon! anyways hopefully we are ready to roll soon, oh and Im going for my M1 today. wish me luck!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#7 Unread post by NorthernPete »

July 27

New fork tubes came in today.. unfortunately, the garage LOST my seals at some point so now I have to wait for new ones...Im starting to think theres a conspiracy against me here.... Oh, BTW, Old forks were bent, got my M1. thats my update... *sigh*
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#8 Unread post by NorthernPete »

JULY 29 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I swear, who ever owned this bike must have hit a wall.. another part is bent and the wheels wont line up...Ive invested too much to give up, but my "free" bike is gonna end up costing me 1000 bucks by the end of it... *sigh* why cant I ever just learn and buy new?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Aug 1
*sigh* why cant I ever just learn and buy new?
apperently never. Just got home with my maxim 650. which hasnt run since 98 according to the registration sticker (unless it just wasnt renewed. it was pared 5 years back according to the seller.

anyways, Ill have some pics posted soon, Its a sweet looking bike.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#10 Unread post by NorthernPete »

AUG 24

Got my Seca running safetied and plated..went for a short little round the block sort of ride, gased it up... not insured ATM, so i didnt go far, tommorrow the real practice begins. Im liking this though.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F