Honda 599 New to Now

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#481 Unread post by Sev »

So it's been a while since my last update, and things at the shop are definitely interesting.

Part of my job is pushing quads in and out of the shop. Every night before we close all the quads/bikes get pushed into the shop so they can be locked up at night (the entire yard gets locked too, but this is safer for the customers units and keeps them out of the weather). Every morning they get pushed back out.

I'm responsible for moving bikes/quads that can weigh up to 7 times my body weight in and out of the shop. This was tough at first because too be honest I'm not exactly in the greatest shape. But after a week I'm already starting to notice a difference, things are easier to push around, and I can lift stuff that I couldn't before. This job is good for me haha.

I've started doing more and more PDI's (assembly of new bikes) as it gets closer and closer to the start of the season. Believe it or not, the most common bike to put together is a Triumph Rocket Three. That's right the biggest production cruiser on the market (excluding the Boss Hoss). In fact the season hasn't even officially started yet, and we've sold almost our entire allotment of rockets for the year... if you want one, get it fast.

The damn things come shipped with no handlebars, no front wheel, and tied into a huge "O Ring" wooden crate with slats all over the place that basically make it annoying to do anything, but keep it safe.

One of the things you need to do is install the front tire, and at the bottom of the page on the assembly manual there is a little note that says, Warning: When lifting the front of the bike to install the front wheel remember that it weighs aproximately 7 times what you do. YIKES! But I did it all by myself.

I've also become an expert at installing saddlebags and windscreens on the damn things too, you wouldn't believe how many little nuts/bolts hold the buggering things on, but I can do it as fast as the experienced mechanics in the shop.

I've been making friends with the custom paint guy at work, he does all kinds of airbrushing as well as body work and factory paint. Good kind of friend to have, especially considering that we're (the family) is trying to get my younger brother to learn to airbrush - be a painter.

I'm also hanging around with the high performance guy. He moved here from Australia, and is obsessed with making things - anything go fast. He recently installed a nitrous kit on a Triumph Speed Triple, and took it from 118rwhp to 180... Watching the graph you can see it climb from about 70hp to 150 in 0.7seconds! Just flick the switch.

Other then that, I'm still waiting for the season to actually start, below freezing every day and lots of snow. I bought the same grips that Shorts did, and I'm hoping to get them installed today. I like them better then the stock ones already.

I also splurged and bought a tank bag setup from bikebandit. It was on for 50% off, and based on the pictures it will triple to quadrouple my storage space on top of the tank. Which will be perfect for the camping trips I'm hoping to go on this year.

I've decided to remove my windscreen, I like having it for longer trips, but hate the way it looks... and the problem is that it makes riding a lot noisier directing all the wind right into my helmet. I'll probably put it back on for really long trips, but otherwise it'll sit in the garage.

I'm still collecting parts for my tailchop, and swingarm replacement. I hope to get that done this winter either at school, or during my free time on weekends. Going to need to get either a heated shed or heat the garage.

All in all life is pretty good.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#482 Unread post by Big B »

Sev wrote: The damn things come shipped with no handlebars, no front wheel, and tied into a huge "O Ring" wooden crate with slats all over the place that basically make it annoying to do anything, but keep it safe.
:laughing: yamaha does the same thing, the sportbikes are almost fully assembled, the cruisers are about half there, and the touring bikes are basically two boxes of parts :evil:
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#483 Unread post by Sev »

So does Kawasaki, and every manufacturer that I know of. Damn them to the bloody bowels of hell. Sportbikes are all the same too.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#484 Unread post by Sev »

So, I rode in to work today, first person to ride in this season(out of the whole dealership) and I've got the farthest to go! Haha, I'm hardcore!

The first and BEST response I got was from Chad. Went something like this. "Wait, you brought her in today? FVCK, peopleee're out riding and my engines still on the blatty bench. What've you got? Wanna get out n go at it? That little thing? We should spray the "dog" down. Then she'll reallly blatt!."

Translation, you rode in, my engines still on the bloody bench! Nice bike for a little thing, want to race it? We should put nitrous on it, then she'll fly! He's the guy who actually does nitrous kits too..." I backed away slowly.

Also did my first ever real-life electrical trouble shoot. Vulcan 2000 came in with no rear turn signals or brake light, also needed a new rear tire. Tyler was doing the tire change, I got to do the electrical. Okay, turn it on and check, yup the fronts work the rear don't. Go looking for the manual to find the wiring diagram. Give up after 5 minutes and say, "fudge" it, I'll do it the hard way.

Pop the seat off, and poke around near the battery. I disconnected junction sitting on top of the battery. Five wires on each side. I look up at Mike (Mike is the shop foreman... anyone who is having trouble with something talks to him first) who is walking by and say, "it can't be that easy can it?"
"Try it and find out."
I cobble the connection together and turn the bike back on, both signals and the brake light now work.
"Sweet two hundred bucks," says Mike.
Everyone laughs... and we just mark it completed on the work order.

It's fairly common knowledge that the second someone suspects there is an electrical problem they will just start throwing money at the bike until it goes away (or sell the bike). Some shops take advantage of this. We didn't even bill him for the time it too me to "fix" his problem.

mandyedwards
Regular
Regular

#485 Unread post by mandyedwards »

I got my bike out yesterday Sev! Whoo hoo!! Oil change done, chain lubbed, gased her up, air pressure and ready to go.

Question for you though, what can I do about my clutch lever being too far from the bar? It is not adjustable like my brake is. My brake is now set so that when I reach out it is as far away as my knuckles, my clutch is at my fingertips. So after my first ride of the season my hand hurts like hell. I need to get it closer so it's not such a painful reach. Can I replace the clutch lever to an adjustable one? What's my options?

Thanks!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#486 Unread post by Sev »

Bike still feels like it's sliding around when I turn. Not really sure why, but I've got some theories that I'll have to start putting to the test.

Mandy, there are aftermarket adjustable levers you can buy... mine we $160, I'm not sure if you want to go that expensive... but you can buy just one lever. Accessories dept at any shop ought to be able to help you find one to fit your bike better then I ever could. I'll help you install it though :D

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#487 Unread post by Jamers! »

the bike slides around when you turn cause your a n00b and your bikes a funny color :-p hahahah hows it going man?

JWF
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

mandyedwards
Regular
Regular

#488 Unread post by mandyedwards »

Hey Sev,

So I called Riverside and they don't have an adjustable clutch that will fit my bike - or at least my bike isn't listed in their damn catelog. I got so excited that I could do this and now i'm a bit deflated. It hurts so damn much. Anyhow, thinking maybe i'll have to bring the bike up there so they can visually compare clutch levers...

Mandy

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#489 Unread post by Sev »

So recently I've seen a couple of spots on the news where the reporter was interviewing bikers asking about their opinions on all the gravel that has been laid down on the street to help deal with the ice and snow we've had this year. I think it's supposed to be some sort of cheap shot at the local gov't for not picking up the gravel sooner.

I must say I found it rather remarkable that no matter who they interviewed it always involved the "biker" complaining that the gravel made it much more dangerous to ride, and many commented on "close calls" they've had as a result.

Twice I realized I was near the area that this had gone off, and found myself wishing that I could have been one of the ones interviewed.

"No, I don't think the gravel is dangerous, it just means that you need to pay a little more attention to the road. Gravel is a static problem, it stays in the same spot and won't move into your path. Some foresight will save you from it every time.

The true problem on the roads is the other cars, cars that will change lanes into you, that will turn left in front of you, that swerve for no apparent reason, or are full of generally inattentive drivers. I've had more close calls as a result of idiots on the road then because of gravel. If people learned to pay attention the road would be a friendlier place to bikers."

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#490 Unread post by Sev »

So last Thursday I decided to splurge and buy a new set of handlebars for my bike. After work finished I wandered up to the parts counter and hashed out that I'd be buying a set of Renthals which would be ordered and hopefully shipped post-haste.

Tuesday I was working in the back shop when Amy yelled across the yard from the parts building/show room. "JEFF!"

"JEFF!!!!"

"Your bars are here!"

So I ran across the lot to check them out. "Sweeeeet, they look hot. I'll pay for them tomorrow."

Amy says, "I called your house, but you weren't there, so I left a message for you at home."

Thirty minutes later Warren comes up and says, "you got a message, your bars are in." He looked really confused that he had to tell me, and Mike the foreman was laughing.

I didn't get the story until I got home the next night, but apparently Amy called my house and told my Mom that my bars were in. Who then turned around and called the service desk to ask them to tell me that my bars were in. She's pretty funny sometimes.

Thursdays we're open late, but the service dept basically closes down at 6 like normal. There are a couple of guys who stay around to move stuff and get bikes moved out. But generally nothing happens. I stayed behind to replace my bars, and help out a little bit. So at 6 I rolled my bike into the shop and went to work.

Que up an appropriate song.

Remove the bar ends, and bar end mirrors.

Pull off the left grip, and switch gear housing. The disk is the choke.

Rip off the clutch and we're 1/2 way done the dissasembly.

Take off the brake lever and the switch gear housing. Then remove the handlebar clamp and slide the bars out of the throttle housing. This saves you from having to reattach throttle cables.

Naked bars.

Compare the old bars to the new bars.

Install the left grip and barend mirror.

Drill a hole for the switchgear mounting locating pin.

Drill a hole for the other side.

Start bolting "poo poo" on in the opposite order. Remember to fit the choke disk before you fit the lefthand grip. That's right I had to pull it back off then put it on a second time. It's a "dog" to push a fitted race grip over that knurled surface.

I hope you remembered to fit your throttle tube over the right side before bolting down the bars.

About this time we had a bike come in for an "emergency service" so the three of us hammered through a 1.5 hour service in about 20 minutes. Then we cleaned up and went home.

On the ride I realized that the bars were rotated to far forwards and the left hand switch gear was too far away from the grip. The clutch lever was also too high.

So I got home and started pulling stuff apart again. It took two solid tugs to free up enough slack to get the switch gear where I wanted. Haha..

Mark the spot again, this time I used nailpolish lacking a paint stick at home.

Drill the hole straight up with a cordless drill... and no safety glasses.

Forget to take a picture of the final-final project. Haha, I'll try to get one tomorrow.
Last edited by Sev on Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.