The Daily Grind

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#81 Unread post by aw58 »

The rest of this week has been ridden a little more slowly.
The weather in the mornings has been warm for Nov and bright. Low sun after the tunnels means the vehicles in front are silhouettes but motor on. Homeward runs dark and cold.
The lasting memory this week was last night. Joining the M5 at Cribbs, check mirror, look over shoulder and begin overtaking on the slip road. Check mirror, look forward and the poxy traffic has stopped - I am looking at the rear of a Vauxhall Corsa (faded red) as I am still accelerating. Fxxx. Hit the brakes. The VN is no longer travelling straight, rather the back wheel is off to the right. There is squeal of rubber and the wheels are locked. All my being is focused on keeping this baby up. The Corsa is getting closer. Do I brake and hope to power past on the inside?
Well I don't think there was enough room and as my muscles were so taught they wouldn't have responded to releasing the brakes anyhow.
The VN stops with a foot to spare at an angle to the rear of the Corsa - both feet on Terra Fir-ma I relax as a cloud and the smell of burning rubber envelopes me, masking any other smells.

Lord thank you. I live to see another day.

Tyre will definitely need changing soon.

ADE
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#82 Unread post by Wrider »

Whew!!! Glad you're ok Ade!!! I know that feeling, scares the living daylight out of ya!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

aw58

#83 Unread post by aw58 »

Thanks - someone loves me.

The following 64 miles were a tad slower and with a little more space ahead than usual.
Never thought I'd hold the VN up in such a tight pinch, me at 5'4 and 165 lbs and the VN at 600lbs plus. And the Bridgestone did hold out despite being on 2 ml tread and over 13000 miles on her.
How a few seconds seem to last an eon.
At play back time at the pearly gates I may smile on that one. I wish I'd had the view of the guy behind me.
Does the back end swing out because the single disc is on the right or because being right handed the brake lever is pulled that much harder changing the direction of the bars?

Answers on a post card.

Ade
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental

aw58

#84 Unread post by aw58 »

PS.

Back in 77 I had a similar situation when the traffic ahead stopped prior to 3 step hill. As it was at roadworks and on gravel, it put me into a side on slide on my tiger 100ss.
On that occasion I found myself pasted on the rear of an Austin Maxi. - fortunately the owner was the dad of someone I knew by sight at the Knights Arms and the tiger 100 being lighter little damage ensued.
Most embarrassing.

It's funny I'd forgotten that until now.

Ade

Patrick
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1998 V-Twin 1500 & 2008 Suski C50T

Glad your ok

#85 Unread post by Patrick »

Its the close calls that keeps us on our toes, compatency is the root of most acidents. Glad you can talk about it. Good story, you had me holding on just reading it.

Oh and great carvings.

Pat
Keep the wheels on the road.

If you want check my blogg at this site.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=25466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

aw58

#86 Unread post by aw58 »

Took the VN out on the weekend.

Down to Bridgend to get some sockets and to Mum's for a visit -made a change.
The run in Monday was not too cold and the sky a pale blue. At Coryton passed the police stuck in the jam as I move through the lines and was followed by a BMW through the contraflow, but once out I realised an alien was at the wheel with this obsession with driving around Uranus at trying to drive as close to mine as possible - let the namesake pass.
Crossed the bridge into England but could not see it until half way across as a mist had descended. The sweep onto the m5 is at 60 and I power ahead of a Speedy hire van being driven by someone with too many free minutes on his mobile (handheld).
Have a wire in the helmet and get a call as I am on the last 1/2 mile. Surprised I can hear so well.

Been with this site a year today.

Ade

Patrick
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1998 V-Twin 1500 & 2008 Suski C50T

A year

#87 Unread post by Patrick »

Well happy site birthday.. :multistars: You picture looks cool too.

Patrick
Keep the wheels on the road.

If you want check my blogg at this site.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=25466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#88 Unread post by Wrider »

Happy site birthday! lol
And Patrick, you have way too much free time with all of your smilies and such!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

aw58

#89 Unread post by aw58 »

Hell it's getting cold

Monday rode in - frost in fields. Still insist on wearing summer gloves. Quite a number of guys on the road this morning. None wave think their hands are stuck to the bars. Fingers and toes numb take until midday to warm up.
Then the journey home.

As I leave the tolls on the bridge outside lane and power on. Pleb in a Ford moving out to carve me off the road - blind and deaf - can;t believe it - brazen it out and he finally hears my horn over the V&H.

Tailgated as I approach Cardiff Gate where I picked up my ticket but this time pull in and let the anus pass. Watch as the speed camera flashes him.
Most of journey below 70 so bloody cold.

Ade

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#90 Unread post by Apollofrost »

It comes a little late but it's good to hear that you're ok.

edit: The pumpkins were cool too.
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous