The Daily Grind

Patrick
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1998 V-Twin 1500 & 2008 Suski C50T

#101 Unread post by Patrick »

aw58 wrote: Clear the hold up (no sign of wreckage but an ambulance passing earlier may have been sign), had the VN failed to fire who knows – must have an angel watching over me – hope so.
Ade
Aw,

Man I truly believe things happen for a reason and I bet it was an Angle watching over you. But man, you are a hard core rider dude. Your poor Angle must be on over time. Becareful in that weather, I do not want to hear of a reck on your blog. By the way, it is cool!

Patrick
Keep the wheels on the road.

If you want check my blogg at this site.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=25466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

phil frog
Rookie
Rookie

#102 Unread post by phil frog »

hi ade
just to say nadolig llawen and enjoy the new year ,catch you at the next knights reunion.
frog

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#103 Unread post by aw58 »

I'm getting no signal on my cellular phone. (lyrics)

As with many other times, I forget bits of the journey.
Monday as I approached Cardiff Gate on my way home and with a BM in tow, I sight an orange shape rolling on the road ahead – it’s a spare wheel in orange cover rolling between the 2 lanes, travelling like myself Westward. I pass it with around 18 inches to my left.(obviously fallen off a 4x4).

Tuesday - Cold
Via Bridgend then Cardiff , pay for the hire of the floor board stripper. On site.
Leave St David’s Hospital and through centre giving voice to the stone animals as I roar past Cardiff Castle.
Pulling off at Gabalfa roundabout the VN skips out – power?
On to Bristol.
Homeward -
Traffic heavy- 2 cars and myself head for same space.- Well I’m still here and the space was mine.

Wednesday – Still Cold
On site at Parc for an hour.
Inflate tyres at Sainsbury’s (not power – but 31 psi instead of 36 in rear).
In the road works at Coryton and brake as hit new speed trap. (the devil’s have re sited a speed camera.) Phone rings as I approach the tunnels but I’m getting no signal as I enter (am running 10 mins late for meeting). Climb out of the vale after the tunnels and pass the police bike (and rider – stationery) parked in same spot as earlier in week- the exhausts seem to catch his attention to observe.
Home
Clip white van man mirror with mirror – ah well no damage.
80 up toward highcross inc to 90 in left hand holding off the Audi.
after coryton, the uphill inc power to 85 after 50 zone –VN twitches on the road repairs. I know they are there but the buggers are right on my line.

Thursday – really cold – the whole journey is a frosty one.
Cars roofs not defrosted, even after miles of travelling.
Cross bridge and fog either side but clear above –like the day after tomorrow (almost).
Home foggy and cold - the vn is really dirty from the salted roads.

Friday – last day to Bristol this year. Milder but dirtier – have completely forget Firday as a few beers have wiped a few brain cells over the weekend as the Christmas cheer approaches.

Gear off for the holiday – unless I can get out over the season for a pleasure ride. Hope so. Thought my middle boy had an appendix problem today – spend 3 hrs in hospital – ok but not 100%. Phoned Frog and hope to catch up before next September.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year. God Bless.

Song – No Signal – Tobymac.

Have cleaned the salt off the boots since.

If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

aw58

#104 Unread post by aw58 »

Came down with Flu on Xmas eve and have been feeling like cack since.

Plan to be back in work tomorrow - haven't had chance to service the vn and she needs some loving care and attention on the chrome. (hate the wet and the new salt they use extra adhesion for the road - but also to metal - must have been developed by someone who travels on the train).

Well the discs are a red colour but a few dabs of the brakes should clean them up.

Will let you know how the new year starts - chatted to a guy (german living in uk) who runs an old R100 (once a week Cardiff to Aberystwth and back), have the original advertising brochures for the R series from the late seventies in the attic must pass them on to someone who'll appreciate them. He'd been off bikes since 83 and returned in 2005 (my gap being 84-06) - being boring we chatted about tyre wear, cold, rain, riding gear all the things that alien to wives.

Speak to you all soon .

Best wishes
Adrian
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental

aw58

#105 Unread post by aw58 »

lyrics
It's not the time to breakdown.

1st day back in the saddle.
Clutch lever does not return – spray with wd 40 to free. Quite a bit of WD40
Brakes are red and when I try to pull off the VN front forks compress. Rock the 1/3 of a tonne back and forth for several minutes to clear the brakes. Eventually get going. The journey isn’t too bad but the wind is grim. At Coryton begin to weave between the lanes, but a little hairy as I am having to push the clutch lever back out after changing gear.
Homeward and after crossing the bridge seem to lose power, have to pull into middle lane and then inside line as can’t clear 70. Clears and away to go. Hope this is not something waiting for me. Between Bridgend and Pyle am ahead of a ’92 Mercedes – the 2 youngsters wave in appreciation of (I presume)the note from the V&H.
Tuesday – a repeat of Monday but clutch is easing with use. Yesterday, I was being passed by Audi’s and VW’s today is the turn of the BM’s and Mercs.
The journey home is hairy due to the wind and it’s quite dark. Signs up the Ferries to Ireland are cancelled from Fishguard and Pembroke (adverse weather). Still power on and running through the tunnel and I am tailed by a Peugeot – drop down a cog just before leaving the tunnel – he keeps his distance. Reach Pencoed and the temperature plummets and then it pees down. Am reduced to 40 and visibility is really cack. Get home drenched.
We return to Rain.

Wednesday to site in Cardiff. The journey in and I find myself closing down White Van Man as I approach road works on M4 around 80 plus. I am in the outside lane and am counting down to the outside lane being closed

800 yds behind the van

600 yds closing but still behind

400 yds alongside

200 yds moving slightly ahead

100 yds still in outside lane

50 yds

30 yds

20 yds into middle lane.

Well that keeps the ticker pumping.

Love leaving site as I get to thunder through the city and go past the Castle Walls.

Thursday
Meeting in Swindon – which is a hundred mile run. Weather is overcast and windy, able to roar past drivers who have not heard me before (between Bristol and Swindon). Pass a 1 yr old Merc driven by a 50 something fat of the land. These guys don’t like being passed by noisy 2 wheelers and he pushes over 90 and passes me. I pass him again just before I pull off at Swindon.
Leaving Swindon for Bristol and it is peeing down (well that’s unusual.) Refuel and head West. Prior to Junction 18 and the traffic jams up – work my way through the slow wet traffic (accident). Reach the M5 and hit another log jam – M5 closed (accident) I work my way through to the front of the queue just as the police re open the motorway – see the remains of white van man’s van and an Alfa.
Friday
– Snowing whilst at work and leave for home early

– cross the bridge and
Its raining. Chat to a fellow on a v Storm in the queue at the tolls, travelling from Cheltenham to Cardiff (we share the drink of loneliness rather than drink alone).
Monday seems to be going ok (albeit it's raining)

until I leave for home – almost demolished by an illegitimate copulating Uranian on the roundabout. Driver of a Renault people carrier just charges through the roundabout whilst I am circumnavigating it – must have missed my arse end by a foot or two. I exclaim the “uranian” phrase in more earthy language.
Cross the bridge and clear the tolls. Begin to lose power – its not the time to break down. Sadly, I do. Power continues to fail. Front brakes seizing up. Call the RAC for assistance its 18 30 hrs. Guy on a 600 Ninja stops and offers advice and a cigarette (gave up 8 yrs ago) We chat and he heads on. At 19.20 hrs the RAC subbie turns up. Nice enough guy (owns a 125 cc cruiser style bike) but transpires to be a bit of an idiot and me a bigger one for listening to him. With the wheels cooled I (against my better judgement) rode out side on to the traffic and back in to put the VN on a rear mounted bike frame. The VN is too big for the frame. We struggle and get the VN back off – Chest is hurting and I use the GTN spray. The Subbie calls for further assistance. Second guy very good and the VN is strapped down on a flat bed. Get home at 22 00 hrs.

Tuesday and the VN is in JT’s and the brakes are replace and callipers cleaned up and I am running once more.
Thursday and I have to go to Swansea for a check up on the stents. I am discharged – however only managed 9 ½ mins on the stress test. At least got to ride somewhere different again. Later that day drop in on a guy (Tony Peters) haven’t seen for 23 years. Some people don’t change and he runs a Kawasaki 1000. Whilst at Sainsbury’s chat to another aging motorcyclist for a while, his son and daughter in law both ride bikes and they holiday together.
I’ve forgotten Friday.

Monday peeing down all the way. I am being tailed by a piece in an Audi and as I climb up to High Cross the spray has reduced me to 70 and my tail must want my arse she’s that close.
Gear change is beginning to give me a little trouble and suspect the clutch fluid. Check it and it’s black. Really think it’s time to renew the fluid. Book it in, but decide to change the oil and filter before I take it to the garage. Why I did this I’ll never know. Filter will not come off and collapses. Manage after a few hours by walking to the other side of town and buying a chain wrench. Changed the oil/filter but still not changed clutch fluid.
Next day gear change is worsening. Beginning to pull off in second to avoid 1st.
Clear the tolls and clock an Seat Leon powering in the outside lane, watching me. I power on and we head for the outside lane where they merge. Two cars ahead are beginning to converge and I slip to the left of one and then the right of the other. The block the Seat and I feel a sense of smugness. I ease back and a few miles on let the Seat pass as I am quite content. Next day and the Gear change disconnects from the shaft before I leave for work. The VN is off the road. The next week and a half have been spent in the Saab. The VN is in Thunder Road awaiting collection having had a new gearbox shaft to the toe heel changer. I collect tomorrow and part with £87 pounds. In 31,000 miles over a 15 month period quite a good indictment to Kawasaki.

lyrics

It's not the time to breakdown.

Daughtry > Its Not Over (2006) > Breakdown

Sorry for the gap.

Ade

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#106 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You have quite a way with words. :laughing: :laughing:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#107 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey bud, haven't seen you in quite a while! You doing ok?
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#108 Unread post by AZRider »

Ya, wow, hes been gon for awhile now.
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

aw58

Sorry For Being Away

#109 Unread post by aw58 »

To bear the unbearable sorrow.

Sorry for the gap - missed you all.

Back on the road in Feb and continued to battle the cold and salt - never knew whether it was road salt in my moustache or my nose was running. Sadly for the VN it was the road salt. Fought the unbeatable foe on many occassions (audi TT and Jag XK's). Almost turned to Golash by an Hungarian Lorry approaching the M5 as he decided to cut my lane off (sod). Rode alongside a BMW R series late mid 90's, with the spitting image of the Sam Elliott from Ghost Rider even down to the Duster, from the Bridge to Almondsbury - weird.
April - had to bear the unbearable sorrow as the VN was knocked off its stand by a woman in a focus (she came to the door to accept responsibility and apologise -with "it couldn't have been a Vespa could it") Off the road for a month £1244 damage). Insurance loaned me a Suzuki Bandit 650 - couldn't safely reach the ground on the 1200. Apart from someone trying to steal it (cost me £250 excess) it was an experience - to hold the road so well and go so quick (TT's stood no chance well not at 2 miles a minute). Bit like an affair fun to be with a racey number but soon miss the comfort of a loved one (ps. not through experience). Handed my notice in at Haden and last major run was to a meeting in Vauxhall (central London) and on to Sidcup (Kent) and return in one day - 412 miles. The VN overheaded around Chelsea and Westminster but started to recover as she opened up along the embankment, but carried on overheating down to Kent. Stopped at Membry Services on return and my spine seamed to decompress when I got off the VN.
Finally left Haden end of June after 4 yrs to take a 6 month contract with South Hook LNG (owned by Qatar Gas and Exon Mobil) need to avoid the credit crunch - would be an early casualty. Hope it lasts longer and hope it gets me into the LNG sector an a more permanent basis.
So my journey is now West in the morning a total of 85 miles each way and the VN has clocked up over 48k with 43k being mine since Oct 06.
The drivers are lot better than going East - maybe doesnt make such interesting reading. The first 28 miles are Motorway, the next 22 miles are dual carriageway (M4 is dual from Port Talbot) and the last 30 ish are single carriage way 3 hrs plus in the saddle each day but wouldn't change it at all.
Had to change the fan switch on the Rad - straight forward job - and got to change the coolant which was overdue.
Caught up with a lot of the guys I rode with back in 76 to 80 recently - they still ride but not my mileage although they haven't had the break I had. Must be trying to make up for lost time.
Again sorry for the gap been so busy but have bought a camera for the bike and am posting on youtube will add link later, and try to get back to posting more frequently.

To bear the unbearable sorrow - The Impossible Dream - from the Man from La Mancha.

aw58

#110 Unread post by aw58 »

hope the link works.

Ade

http://www.youtube.com/aw58vn