The Oasis of my Soul... A Blog... a Journey on the Road.

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 53
My Motorcycle: 1996 GS1100R + Ural sidear attached

Re: The Oasis of my Soul... A Blog... a Journey on the Road.

#781 Unread post by Beemerchef »

blues2cruise wrote:I've never been to Texas. How hot is "hot"?
Well, it will reach 110 in the shade... at times!!! Colorado is only 800 miles away though...
It might be back to a past schedule when I lived in Africa meaning going to bed at noon and staying up most of the night.

Stay well...

Ara and Spirit
http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com our Blog...

http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/ our Photos...

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#782 Unread post by Beemerchef »

blues2cruise wrote:I've never been to Texas. How hot is "hot"?
HOT... like over a hundred in the shade... Will see how that goes. I lived in Africa where we went to sleep at noon! Many ways to avoid that heat like also air!... with solar power or a generator. But, it is a dry heat and ashe is always your friend as in also wet bandannas...

Coming to terms with the future. Big Bend. TX

I feel as I have traded "Old Faithful" for a skill saw, drill, jigsaw, plywood, shovel, rake, you name it! And I have part time. Undertaking a permanent [a hard word to pronounce!] home for the future is a task I am discovering will take more time than I thought. Especially while doing most of it myself having never done such work before. I have the utmost respect for carpenters lately! That is an art I do not possess or have any experience with.

Yet, we manage to get away within these three million acres which constantly stare at us, call our name while the weather is still perfect meaning a short sleeve T shirt is the norm. The stress of finishing it all is behind me, it will get done when it gets done. The discoveries on those roads traveled dozens of times are still present as even Terlingua offers new sights, new stores and people passing by or moving in. A donut shop open on the weekends! That is big for here... and good!

Spirit continues to roam around freely. This space is also his paradise where there is no leash. We walk the land seeing the changes after the storms, new paths, vegetation dying from the past summer heat and the ones thriving from the recent rains. It is a constant change on this stage we discovered in years past. Who would have ever known this would change from a home base to some day where we will rest when this body gets too tired from roaming around this huge country we live in. I don't have to come to terms with that notion, not yet. I do think however I am doing the right thing.

I am also still working on our Photo Coffee Table Book. Probably will be another couple months until that one is ready, that task also turns out not to be as easy as I thought. In the meantime "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash" is still available on our Journal, on Amazon and in all electronic formats.

Enjoy and stay well. Happy upcoming Holidays... just in case we do not make it back here before.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

9th Year, the Stars, living under them…

www.beemerchef.smugmug.com The Photos

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#783 Unread post by blues2cruise »

That photograph is stunning. Or is that a picture of a stunning sky?

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#784 Unread post by Beemerchef »

blues2cruise wrote:That photograph is stunning. Or is that a picture of a stunning sky?
It is a stunning sky... as always around here.

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#785 Unread post by Beemerchef »

Intermission in Life. TX

We both have been looking for a break, an intermission of some sort but not one in this fashion. A violent ice storm created the worse black out these three million acres have ever experienced when 30 electric poles went down. No fuel, no propane, no phone service, not even the SAT phone working for some odd reason, and of course no Internet. The lack of power does not phase us as we are on a solar system, the Internet? well, that can wait... right?

Yesterday as some power did come back in Alpine and the perfect weather was back we took the 120 mile round trip, my curiosity towards these pages I guess got the best of me while sitting at the local Library. The world is still spinning, nothing too important has happened. It was a great ride though.

We did manage to get into the Park before the storm hit, riding being a need more than anything else, and we found ourselves present at Panther Junction at the right time while the iced fog combined with winds was sculpting Nature. What a sight! With plenty of fuel as always carrying an extra five gallons reserve it was one of our best days in the Park. A cold one!

Everyone here is slowly getting back on their feet. The Internet addicts are again normally breathing, blood pressure back to normal. Not so lucky here as we depend on a tower and that little red light is still not on. We will probably ride to our neighbors tomorrow to post this as more photos are in our Journal.

And by the way "Happy New Year".

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

blues2cruise

#786 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I never knew Texas got winter weather.

Did that sign get painted special and installed in a hurry?

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#787 Unread post by Beemerchef »

blues2cruise wrote:I never knew Texas got winter weather.

Did that sign get painted special and installed in a hurry?
Funny! That is the road going up to the Basin in the Park, 5500 feet... Texas is not flat!

Winter this time around seems to be lingering forever or is it this construction while "it" feeling so against the grain of our Journey. Was it the wrong time? Trying to come to terms with it.

We already had "that one day of snow", the one day that transforms this desert into a surreal landscape yet does not last long, about half a day.

A couple visitors as Big Bend is increasingly putting its name on the map arousing the curiosity of many while they themselves discover the beautiful roads which surrounds us mixed in with much hiking. There is even a donut shop now open on Sundays in Terlingua! How about that for progress...

Between painting, trimming and mostly waiting for material to arrive we also continue ourselves enjoying the roads. River Rd was one of them the other day. Many photos and a new video on our Journal.

This intermission is a long one. Are we getting close to explore further? I sure hope so as it seems such aspect is now ingrained within us. It is amazing how one can get so close to Mother Nature no wanting to let her go.

It has been eleven years now since Lance is gone. That day was a rough one even if my tools are honed and sharpened to take on the emotions which never leave me, will never leave me.

Life goes on... It is what it is... Enough rambling.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#788 Unread post by Hanson »

I went down to Big Bend last fall for the first time. I am sure I will be back.

Texas is like a beautiful woman, she has part that are perfectly flat and smooth, and others with fascinating curves. She is mostly hot, occasionally frigid, but always mysterious.
ImageImage

blues2cruise

#789 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Well....you have got more snow than we've had this year. :laughing:

Beemerchef
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#790 Unread post by Beemerchef »

Hanson wrote:I went down to Big Bend last fall for the first time. I am sure I will be back.

Texas is like a beautiful woman, she has part that are perfectly flat and smooth, and others with fascinating curves. She is mostly hot, occasionally frigid, but always mysterious.
Now that is well said...

Open up your lens a bit wider... TX

Strange things happen in a Desert while away from it all. It is mainly called thinking! Not as bombs amidst an Urban Jungle, here silence prevails, one needs to be comfortable in their own skin... and mind.

Life moves on here at its own pace as at times I look at the calendar and conclude it is unwinding a bit too fast with not much time to waste especially as age catches up with me.

This intermission while securing a dwelling for future years seems to be a long one. I question myself often. How and why can someone so much likes (love!) living in a tent? The main aspect I figured out is simplicity and a close touch with Mother Nature. Nothing like it.

The weather this winter has almost daily been a gift. Sometimes even a bit too warm to our liking. Good rains at times are providing our water, sunshine equals power. What more can I ask for combined with a solar oven, wood and multi fuel stove to cook with? Nothing...

We are only in February. The Northern roads will have to wait a bit longer!

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit