The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#161 Unread post by mgdavis »

Got all the riding gear back from that last gf. Going to sell it now to finance the next bike. Probably going to recoup most of my money since I bought nearly all of it on steep discount. Hope I remember this lesson about gift giving for the next time around.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#162 Unread post by mgdavis »

Went for a New Years ride today with some of the guys off PNW Riders. Did the 101 loop around the Hood Canal, a familiar route. Stopped for lunch at Loggers Landing. It was the first time I've stopped there, and I can now recommend them. Twenty soaking wet and dripping riders (did I mention that it was raining a little?) walked through the door, and the didn't even bat an eye. Service was friendly, and they even took the time to refill everyone's coffee multiple times, which I can't get at Shari's even on a slow night. Food was good too, but I forgot to take a picture of my chicken cordon bleu sandwich, which was composed of swiss, ham, and chicken strips.

After we left lunch it really started raining. My Kilimanjaro actually leaked. Nice cruise though, there was a minimum of Sunday drivers suffering from recto-crainial inversion. Only real slow one was a truck with camper that was doing 5-10 under, and actually decided that it would be ok to bypass a slow vehicle pull-out. :evil:

Got home and had to take a hot shower to warm up. Gear was completely soaked. Left boot was holding standing water. Pants might need replacing, they might as well have been made of mesh for all the water they kept out.

Everybody regrouping after the twisties.

Gassing up.

Lunch. I'm the good-lookin' dude in green. 8)
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#163 Unread post by mgdavis »

On the New Years Day ride my bike was rode hard and put away wet, and the abuse has taken its toll.

I finally pulled the Strom back out yesterday to go for a ride, and I noticed that the backside of my chain is starting to rust. Also, at some point the rubber frame protector on the left side of the bike fell out. The brake rotors were starting to rust as well, but I think that they're doing ok. Come spring time I'm definitely going to have some maintenance issues to catch up on.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#164 Unread post by mgdavis »

It has been a pretty dry and warm January so I've been logging some miles here and there. Nothing epic, but it's good to be in the saddle.

I got the missing heel guard replaced, and finally got a new rubber mat for the rack to replace the one that I ripped off installing the Action Packer.

I washed the bike for the first time in a few months, so it's looking pretty good now. The chain is still rusty, it's coming up on 20k miles so I think I'll just replace it before spring for piece of mind. The brakes are starting to squeal a little at slow speed so it's time to check the pads too.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: The ramblings of mgdavis

#165 Unread post by mgdavis »

How time flies. :)

Still riding, at just about 21K miles now. Had the chain replaced with an RK x-ring last week.

Starting a new job Monday, so I'll have to see if it will be practical to commute on the bike in the future.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#166 Unread post by Wrider »

Congrats on the new job! What are you doing now? Besides terrorizing little old ladies with your big mean Strom of course.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#167 Unread post by mgdavis »

I was hired by one of the big DoD contractors to turn wrenches on ordnance. Quite a big difference from working at the hospital, where I've spent the last six years, but it allows me to finally capitalize on the technical education I received while in the Air Force Reserves.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#168 Unread post by mgdavis »

Garagenight.tv

Bunch of guys who meet up to work on bikes, often using somewhat ingenious work-arounds. Watch it, I bet you'll enjoy it.
Last edited by mgdavis on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#169 Unread post by Wrider »

I thought of a perfect picture for you, but I'll link it since it isn't safe for this forum.
http://www.officechatter.com/wp-content ... 2/bomb.jpg
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#170 Unread post by mgdavis »

:twisted: I like it. :twisted:

It seems that it's time to start improving my body positioning while cornering. I rolled on the throttle through a sort of fast 90* RH turn and managed to grind a bit of material off my Caribou box on that side. 8)

I still have chicken strips though, so it looks like the boxes will be coming off next time I feel like going quick.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!