The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Damnit.

#31 Unread post by mgdavis »

I went out to start my bike Thursday and found the choke was stuck. I'm unable to close the choke, and can't get the bike started. I think it's the linkage, or the cable slipped off the cam, if there is a cam. I can't remember if there is or not.. I'll be pulling the seat and tank off next week to try to fix it.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

CLP: It's good for what ails ya

#32 Unread post by mgdavis »

Yesterday I pulled the seat and tank off my bike to see what I could do about my sticky choke. I found that, while I could not force it to move by pulling on the knob, a screwdriver placed in the appropriate place would move the assembly quite readily. Hmm... The cable's not sticky, the whole deal moves easily when the choke is already set via screwdriver. I bet this is the bikes way of protesting being rode in the rain the other day. I'll bet judicious use of lubricant will clear this up. Never one to settle for the obvious solution, WD-40 in this case, I walk inside to where I keep my gun stuff and grab a small bottle of Breakfree CLP and the long applicator tube. A half dozen drops of teflon imbued lubricant later things are freed up and good to go. I love CLP.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#33 Unread post by mgdavis »

It's been a couple weeks, so I'll post just to keep this toward the top of the stack where I can find it. It snowed last week, and it's cold as hell. I need to start the bike. I need to get it to the shop; last time I ran it, it wouldn't idle. I'm starting to get antsy, I'm really looking forward to spring so I can start riding to work again.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#34 Unread post by mgdavis »

Well... Monday I went out and ran my bike a bit, just sat in the carport and warmed it up. It ran alright, was a bit hard to start. The starter seemed to not want to turn the engine. This is something that has intermittently presented itself in the past, but it was a bit worse this time.
Thursday was a decent day, about 49 degrees and dry, so I decided to go for a ride. I geared up and got on the bike. When I pressed the start button all I got was spinnnnnn. The starter was turning without the engine, I couldn't get the bike to crank. The book says this is caused by a faulty starter clutch. Looks like I get to find out how to replace my starter clutch. If it's not one thing, it's another.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#35 Unread post by Wrider »

Sounds like you're having a heck of a time! And unlike some people, I won't say it's because it's a 79... Actually, lately I've seen a LOT of older CBs sitting in driveways, garages, etc... Curiosity, what kind of guns do you own? I've got the CLP also sitting here with my gun stuff. Have a great day!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#36 Unread post by mgdavis »

Finally got around to draining my carbs the other day :oops: . The drains dump onto the exhaust, I'll have to remember not to do that when the bike is hot. I haven't checked on how bad it's going to be to R2 the starter clutch, my shop manual went AWOL.
The other day I went down to a dealership and talked to one of the salesmen, just killing some time. He had all sorts of nice things to say about the Ninja 650R. I was a bit surprised that it has a parallel twin. I sat on it, man it's a lot lighter than my CB750. I still want that SV650, might be a few years though, the girlfriend and I are saving for trucks right now.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#37 Unread post by Shorts »

mgdavis wrote:Finally got around to draining my carbs the other day :oops: . The drains dump onto the exhaust, I'll have to remember not to do that when the bike is hot. I haven't checked on how bad it's going to be to R2 the starter clutch, my shop manual went AWOL.
The other day I went down to a dealership and talked to one of the salesmen, just killing some time. He had all sorts of nice things to say about the Ninja 650R. I was a bit surprised that it has a parallel twin. I sat on it, man it's a lot lighter than my CB750. I still want that SV650, might be a few years though, the girlfriend and I are saving for trucks right now.
Same thought I had draining the carbs on my bike :humm:

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#38 Unread post by mgdavis »

I finally found my Clymer book. It was on my bookshelf, of all places. I re-looked up R2ing the starter clutch, it shouldn't be that hard once I get parts. I don't have to tear down the engine, just take off the side cover and a couple other parts. Hopefully I'll rejoin the riding soon.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

IT LIVES!!!

#39 Unread post by mgdavis »

I got my bike started Friday! I went to check the battery, just to see if it needed to be charged after sitting. The headlight looked strong, so I figured I'd try to turn it over just for care and giggles. Much to my surprise the starter actually caught and cranked the engine. I opened up the fuel petcock and let the float bowls fill, then tried again. It actually started and ran, though it didn't want to idle at all. It was a decent day so I went for a lap around the block after gathering my helmet, jacket, and gloves. I should have checked the tires before I left, the front end felt really strange. When I got back and checked the ties they were 30psi rear and 10psi front :oops:. No wonder the front felt funny.
On that first lap the engine was running "pee"-poor, not wanting to rev above 3000 rpm. I poured a half can of Sea Foam in the tank and went out again. I'm not sure if the engine had warmed up or if it was the Sea Foam, but it ran much better the second time out. Total I rode about 20 miles. At the end of the ride my exhaust was popping at bit at idle, not sure what that was all about.
Now I definitely need to get that starter clutch taken care of and get the bike in for a tune and carb balance. I HAVE REJOINED THE RIDING!!!
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#40 Unread post by Shorts »

:clap: Get her going!