VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#301 Unread post by VermilionX »

jstark47 wrote:
Yeah, but Verm, how many of them were on their very first trackday? You're not a Motorcycling God, but that doesn't mean you totally suck, either. Give it time, dude. Motorcycling is something you can work on your whole life. I'm definitely a better rider than I was a year ago, but a year from now I hope and expect to be better still. It just takes time and practice.
yeah, some of the riders in the street group that i did talk to have been riding way longer than me.

but anyway... like i said. it's ok. i had some fun, learned some stuff, and most importantly... i didn't go down like so many riders did that day.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#302 Unread post by VermilionX »

CNF2002 wrote:
I disagree. I could do any kind of riding and the 'expense' is all up to me. I can race a 20 year old sport bike on a stock setup or a brand new bike with 10k of engine upgrades (my performance is based on my skills, not on my bike - with the exception of me being a professional racer). I can cruise the boulevard on a cruiser with or without 15k of chrome all over it. I can commute on a 12k VStrom with hard saddle bags painted to match or an old cheap Blast. I can wear a $1000 pop-brand helmet or a $70 one from Walmart.

The result is the same, regardless of what I spend.
but still... you will spend a lot of money on the tracks regardless of what bike you have. tires, gas, transpo, track fee, etc.

you really can't compare how much more expenses you will spend on the tracks compared to streets.

unless of course you race on the streets... that's gonna more expensive if you get caught by the popo.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#303 Unread post by VermilionX »

i forgot to mention.

this is what i will be working on...

i got the tip that when turning, you don't even have to sit on the bike. i don't mean to hang off so far that you don't sit... i mean when you hang off, the half of your butt that's still above the seat should only be hovering above the seat.

this will also help you put more weight on the pegs.

i will go try this next time in the canyons.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#304 Unread post by VermilionX »

10/3/06

just got a call from my new friend, john. he said my bike is street legal again.

picked it up and rode it home tonight.

tomorrow im gonna call mr andrews and have him work on my stock suspension. then i'll go decide from there what i'll do. if i can get a decent setup, i'll stick to the stock. if not... i'll go ahead and upgrade it.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#305 Unread post by Kal »

I'm glad you had fun. As for getting better only practise is going to get you there. The guys wiping out, well they'd be pushing thier personal evelope - as you already know that's why I was suggesting you ride something more 'disposable' as a track bike...
The Crimson Rider® wrote:i forgot to mention.

this is what i will be working on...

i got the tip that when turning, you don't even have to sit on the bike. i don't mean to hang off so far that you don't sit... i mean when you hang off, the half of your butt that's still above the seat should only be hovering above the seat.

this will also help you put more weight on the pegs.

i will go try this next time in the canyons.
You didn't know this one already? :)
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#306 Unread post by VermilionX »

Kal wrote:as you already know that's why I was suggesting you ride something more 'disposable' as a track bike...
if i can find a 400cc trackbike like a VFR400 for around $1000... i'd go buy one. :wink:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#307 Unread post by Sev »

The Crimson Rider® wrote:10/3/06

just got a call from my new friend, john. he said my bike is street legal again.

picked it up and rode it home tonight.

tomorrow im gonna call mr andrews and have him work on my stock suspension. then i'll go decide from there what i'll do. if i can get a decent setup, i'll stick to the stock. if not... i'll go ahead and upgrade it.
I just learned that most japanese bikes come set up for someone around 150lbs, with the ability to go from 120 to 180 with relative ease. On a bike as expensive as yours... well, you should be able to get a lot out of it without having to upgrade your suspension.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#308 Unread post by VermilionX »

Sevulturus wrote:
I just learned that most japanese bikes come set up for someone around 150lbs, with the ability to go from 120 to 180 with relative ease. On a bike as expensive as yours... well, you should be able to get a lot out of it without having to upgrade your suspension.
i also heard 150lbs is common for JP bikes.

but for my particular model... it's around 165lbs as i heard from others who have experience with tuning it.

anyway if it is 165lbs... then im only under 35lbs. i do hope i can get get a good setup from it.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#309 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Just out of curiousity, what does your manual say about tuning your suspension? or someone from a Suzuki dealership?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#310 Unread post by VermilionX »

NorthernPete wrote:Just out of curiousity, what does your manual say about tuning your suspension? or someone from a Suzuki dealership?
it has very little info on it. it only says how to adjust it.

haven't taken my bike to a dealership for work and i seriously doubt their mechanics do suspension tuning.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer