Old-N-Slow

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#31 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Hiya Old-n-slow. Glad you enjoyed the highway. When Doug gets some more experience he'll probably be more consistant.
I have ridden behind a couple of people like that and it is difficult to follow them.
The ones that weave from side to side in their lane when we are riding staggered also make it hard to ride behind them.

Once school goes back in next week, you could plan another trip...there won't be all the lineups.

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#32 Unread post by old-n-slow »

blues2cruise wrote: The ones that weave from side to side in their lane when we are riding staggered also make it hard to ride behind them.
Ha. I forgot to mention that part :lol: :lol: 'fraid the longer rides are about over for me this year. Too many other commitments getting in the way. Would still like to do Duffy Lake but midweek if possible and that makes it tougher to find someone to accompany.
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#33 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Saturday Sept 2, I joined with the SCRC people from Victoria for a memorial ride up to Duncan to honour a fallen rider, Jeff Prichett. I didn’t know Jeff nor had I ever met him but in the short time that he belonged to the Southern Cruisers he had made quite a name for himself.

Jeff owned a paint and bodywork shop and his big love was motorcycles. I had the chance to see a number of bikes that were examples of his work and from what I could see they were quite good as far as finish goes. None showed any great originality but then a lot of that may have to do with the owners rather then the artist. There was much talk about his artistic abilities and how much he loved his work. What can I say? He was a lucky man in that respect if that is true.

Jeff was 49, if I have the facts correct. So young (I’m at the stage in my life where I can say that now) to die. Apparently he hit a semi head on while failing to negotiate a right hand curve along the highway some where east of the lower mainland. It leaves one to wonder what happened as he had been riding since the age of nine we were told so this should not have happened. There has to have been extenuating circumstances, in my opinion, something we are not being told.

The highway, as usual, was busy for the trip up to Duncan and back. The amazing thing was the sheer number of motorcycles on the road. I don’t think I have ever seen a day when so many bikes were in evidence. This has to be a good thing. I think cage drivers would learn to become much more aware of bikers if our numbers were up. There were so many bikes that almost nobody bothered to wave or wave back if waved at. Had they, you might have driven most of the way with only one hand on the bars. I can only attribute the volume to the great weather and the threat of approaching fall/winter. Whatever the reason, it was good to see the fellow bikers

My Sportster license is rapidly approaching the expiry date. Good before Sept 16th. After that it’s a no go. This winter it will get torn down somewhat. I need the tank and fenders off for painting. I have a few ideas in mind. Most require some airbrush work and I’m not sure whether my eyes are up to that any more. I’ll try it with a set of magnifying lenses I guess. I want something different from the usual flames and skulls that typically are found on regular “customs” I ran across a picture of an old geezer with a long beard flying in the wind that I would like to use but it looks rather challenging. Oh well I have all winter (about five months worth before I want it back on the road. In the meantime the old Yamaha will get put to good use. It also will get some upgrades like a set of sprockets and a new chain and maybe even a new pair of carbs depending on how well the old ones do. As it is I think I’ll have a go at balancing the existing carbs if I can.

The Yamaha is 26 years old and has only 30,000 km on it. That’s about a thousand a year and I have to confess that I have owned it 4 years and put just less then 4 k on it so that seems in keeping with past performance. At that rate it aught to be good for a hundred years. LOL

Staying off the roads today, too many idiot drivers out, all in a frenzy to get someplace so they can party hard then head back home in a bigger frenzy tomorrow. Mother and I have come to like staying at home for the long weekends. Chances are our neighbours will be gone on a long weekend and we have peace and quiet that I wouldn’t trade for an entire week at the beach.

Got an email from Doug to advise me that the Suzuki bandit 1200 is available with ABS for a price that blows trhe soxs off of a beamer. Hmm, have to have a good look and a sit on one of them.

Have a good weekend all. It’s time for my afternoon nap.
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#34 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Your avatar is an old geezer.... :laughing: Is that the one you want for your custom paint? :wink:

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#35 Unread post by old-n-slow »

blues2cruise wrote:Your avatar is an old geezer.... :laughing: Is that the one you want for your custom paint? :wink:
No that's much too difficult for me to pull off. :?

Hmm. I just happened to notice that it’s been a while since I entered anything in my “blog”. Could that be because I’ve been busy? Well I have. I took on another part time job. Sheesh … I’m supposed to be retired but the term mentally challenged seems more accurate. Heh. heh. So now I work each day from 5:30 in the morning till about 9:00 (am still). That leaves me plenty of time to ride around locally but I don’t usually just ride, I need a destination so use the bike to fill local transportation requirements.

Last day for the little Hog tomorrow. I’ve already added fuel conditioner to the tank and I’ll take it for a quick spin before putting it away till spring. I’ve already had the old Yamaha out for a few rides over the past two weeks and it’s running better then ever so it’s just a matte of getting used to it again and I’m back in business. I believe I’ll pull the saddlebags off the Sportster and slip them on the 650. Not sure if that’ll cause any problems as I didn’t have saddlebags on when I took the required photos for the collector plates. Then who’s to check anyhow I guess?

If I still have the Sportster come spring I’ll have it all repainted and maybe even have the exhaust changed out to something less noisy. I’m sure my neighbours ain’t gonna like my starting the thing to go to work at 5:20 in the morning. Ha ha.

Port Albernie toy run this weekend. Big doings with a huge attendance but as usual they’ll be doing without me. I like toy runs but I generally support those closer to home. This particular toy run is big doings for the SCRC crowd out here. Most of them have booked accommodations since last fall or early spring so they can take in the entire event. Hope they have fun. Saturday is looking good for weather but Sunday a bit iffy.

The crazy woman, that’s the one I have been living with for the last forty years, has my time all booked for this weekend. We are remodelling the computer room which amounts to installing a new counter and turfing the old desks and the hodge podge of items that have been holding the computers off the floor for the past three years. If you don’t hear from me again, I may have died of a heart attack from all the hard work I’m being forced to do LOL.

Have a good weekend all.

November 2 update

Hmm. I see it has been a while since I updated this thing. (I think I said that before) I'm happy to say that I managed to finish the computer room and it didn't kill me :lol: Not that I thought it would but it helps at times to be able to use things like that as an excuse.

Looks like the bad weather has finally hit. Too bad. I threw fuel stabilizer in the Yamaha today just in case it's a while before it gets out again. Not much time for riding just now anyway. I write from time to time and I have been invited to submit a novel to an agent in New York so that sure is cutting into my time as I rush to complete it and get it off. If I sell it I can definately see a new ride in my future. :? Wouldn't you do the same? :wink:

Later.

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Wow.

#36 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Can it really be 2 1/2 years since I have posted here? I guess it's time to dispel any rumors about my demise. I know I said I was busy in my last entry but this is ridiculous ----- NOBODY is that busy... :oops: but somehow I managed to overlook this site for the past couple of years.

I was working on the Yamaha today and keeping one eye on the weather but my thermometer must be stuck as it sure is hanging around the low end of the scale. This is where the non-metric system would look better. I think we hit a high of 8 degrees today which is riding weather but come-on mother nature. This is not the way things are supposed to be out here on the west coast.

I still have the Sportster but my youngest son (nearing 40) says he wants it and will be down (from Alberta) to pick it up later in the season. (They still have 2 feet of snow where he is). It's okay by me if he wants it as I never seemed to get around to advertising it for sale and I did not use it last year at all. I stuck with the 650-xs which has the major advantage of being soooo much cheaper to license and insure since it qualifies as a collectors bike here in BC.

Anyhow, I'm off to check out some of the forum threads and see who all is still active. C U All on the roads – on 2 wheels.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#37 Unread post by Wrider »

Hehe welcome back! Yeah the last time you posted I was just getting into riding. Amazing how time flies eh?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha