Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Scoutmedic -- The trials and journies of a *n00b*

#1 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:motorcycle:
Howdy All! Welcome to my Blog. This first entry will more than likely be the longest and, I apologize before hand for it's length. With that in mind, read on but, try not to injure yourself when you fall asleep reading.....

Introduction: My name is Barry. I'm 35 years old and reside in Corry, Pennsylvania, USA (It's in the Northwestern corner of the commonwealth with the nearest "city" being Erie). I'm a career paramedic for Emergycare Inc.. My username here is derived from part of my last name and part of my profession. I'm happily married with no children.

Riding: I've been riding snowmobiles and ATVs since I was a teenager. I rode a relatives dualsport once when I was 15. I managed to stay on for the full 8 seconds before wrecking. I popped the clutch, wheelied and smashed into the back of a pickup truck.

My next experience on a motorcycle was, thankfully, much better. At the young and impressionable age of 34, I decided to take the PA version of MSF which is called PAMSP. Partly to get a better working knowledge of motorcycles since I deal with them at work and partly because I was bored and it only cost me $10 for my learner's permit which covered the cost of the course.

My course was one night of classroom, one day of riding then the cycle repeated the following week. I was interested after the first classroom session. I was ADDICTED after the first riding session. I called my wife after the riding session all excited and telling her about it. Her first words when she finally got a chance to speak were, "We're getting a bike aren't we?". I passed the MSF which earned me my "Class M" endorsement.

The search: My wife's only conditions for buying were that it had to be new and that I have to dress in full protective gear. I started searching the manufacturer websites but, quickly became overwhelmed. So, having remembered that I registered here a few years ago but, never did anything else, I came here and started searching for answers. After looking, listening and questioning, I started to visit the dealerships with my loving and understanding wife. I looked at everything from 250 cruisers and streetbikes to 600'ish "everythings". I was resisting the peer pressure to purchase a "large" bike fairly well until my wife came to the conclusion that I should just start out on a Mid to Large bike so that I don't become "bored" or want something different in a year.

I know! This goes against a lot of the advice here and, I may still regret it but, I have been fairly warned. I'm going to wear the power ranger outfit, it's going to be fully insured and I've seen enough crashes in my line of work that I have no desire to drive like I'm on a track.

The decision: After sitting on about 15 different cycles and debating the pro's and con's of each, I decided on the Suzuki Boulevard S-50. It will be black with a Memphis Shades windshield. No other additional goodies initially unless I can find a tank bag that I want. My gear will consist of a G-Max 18g Full Face Helmet, A Cortech "all weather" jacket (Mesh outer, removeable rain and thermal liners) with shoulder, elbow and spine armor, Himalaya jean style pants with removeable thermal liner and armor in the hips and knees and, finally, Thor motocross gloves with padded fingers, palms, etc. I can fit a set of mechanics gloves under the Thor's when it's cold. Footwear for now will be my standard workboots which are 8" all leather with safety toe, heal and shank. I wore them in the MSF and they were fine.

That's It! FINALLY! I'll try and update this whenever something new comes up. And, I'll post when I have pictures of the new ride loaded. Until then....

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:crybaby:

So, I go to the dealership today to set aside a jacket and nail down the build date on my bike. Everything's going good, salesman is gonna get the VIN for me so I can set up my insurance, the bike was delivered to the warehouse earlier today.

Friend from high school comes over and starts talking to us. He just started working there. Cool. I tell him I ordered a Boulevard S-50. The salesman says, "Yep, bright shiny red"......

I think he's screwing with me and in a jocular voice say, "Better not be red or I'll beat on ya. I wanted the black one." .......

I get the deer in the headlights look. "You wanted red right?".....

(ummmmmmm.... NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!) "No, I ordered black. You already had a red one in your warehouse.".....

"I'll be right back...."

He now has 2 Shiny RED S-50's in his warehouse while I wait for him to find a Beautiful BLACK one for me. :frusty:

Oh well, I wasn't planning on getting one until June originally anyway.

To be continued.....

yoda731
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by yoda731 »

Bummer on the wait, but at least you're on track to get what you want. Keep writing.

Are you by chance a Steelers fan? I grew up 10 minutes west of Wheeling, WV, in St. Clairsville, OH, and am black and gold through and through.
'81 Honda CX500 Custom

Get busy living or get busy dying. That's G-d-d-mned right.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Without a doubt! Love the Steelers. Hoping to make it to a game or two next year. A guy I know has season tickets and lets others take them when he can't go. Unfortunately, we worked the same schedule last year so, he was always going when I was off work.

You won't believe it but, I married a Cowboys fan. Even worse, after she finally got tired of rooting for them since it seemed like they were always in jail or in trouble, she looked around and picked the only team we hate more.... :frusty:

I had to buy her some Cowboys apparel the last time they beat us in the Superbowl. :laughing:

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

So how long do you have to wait now for them to get you the black one?

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

No real estimate yet on how long I'll have to wait. Could be up to a month. :(

Think maybe I should ask for MORE than the standard 15% rebate on the jacket I'm going to buy the day I pick up the bike?? I'm buying a Cortech GX Air in Blue. Regular price at the stealership is $199 and $169 after my "buyers rebate".

On another note, my new riding pants came in today. I purchased a set of Himalaya Road Speed riding pants on eBay (I know, the shipping was WAY too much. Even with that they were just under $80 which I didn't think was a bad price). I'll write a review about them after I've worn them. But, unfortunately, I'm at work for 24 hours. My wife called me to let me know they were delivered. Talk about frustrating! I think she does that on purpose sometimes.... :frusty:

:laughing:
Last edited by Scoutmedic on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#7 Unread post by NorthernPete »

The botched up the order, making you waste away a month of riding time, youd best gte a discount on your jacket and a free first service for that. and a dealership hat... allways get a hat!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks for the advice Pete! I can't believe I forgot a hat. I LOVE hats (honestly!).

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

do like me, buy a $32000 hat get a free SUV *L
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I didn't spend quite that. I bought a $26,000 Hat and got a free Dodge Dakota Quad Cab back in 2001. :laughing:

On a motorcycle note, I tried my riding pants on this morning and, so far, I like them. Wore them around the house for about an hour. They were comfortable but a bit warm for indoor use. And, best of all, they're now covered with dog hair making them truly mine! (Everything my wife and I own has dog hair on it.... lol) Can't wait to get them used in the proper setting!