Scoutmedic -- The trials and journies of a *n00b*

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#41 Unread post by NorthernPete »

week end? whats that?

(Sat night shift tonight)

Glad youre havin fun, even in the raining humid, rainy cold stuff....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

FreeRide
Veteran
Veteran

Congrats!

#42 Unread post by FreeRide »

Well you finally got the black S50. Well i'm glad for you and for choosing black.Did you notice the blue flaking in the paint? looks cool 8) How is the cold start? Do you need to choke it?.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#43 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I just noticed the flaking yesterday while washing it! First time I've really had it out in the sun. Been nothing but clouds and rain here since I got it! :laughing:

Yep, I've had to choke it every time I started it cold. And, I have the same squeeky disc brake that everyone talked about as well.

Other than that, I'm LOVING it. I'm glad I chatted with you before making a final decision. Thanks!

Checked my fuel mileage and I'm getting 44 mpg right now. I'm hoping to watch that figure gradually rise.

FreeRide
Veteran
Veteran

#44 Unread post by FreeRide »

I get about 40mpg because it's so hard for me not to roll on the throttle and really like the power this bike puts out. Had it since march and now have going on 1k. miles. I read that suzuki will discontinue the s50 after '07. Glad you're enjoing your new ride.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#45 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I've got almost 400 miles on mine. Going to need my first service in another week or less. :bigsmile:

FreeRide
Veteran
Veteran

#46 Unread post by FreeRide »

I did the oil change myself and is very easy except for one thing as stated in the owners manual pg.7-29, there's a major typo. It indicates to tighten the oil filter 2 turns past contact with the base. This is very wrong!
I'm not a very good motorcycle mechanic and have no prior experience working on cycle engines,but I was following directions and did what the manual stated. Disaster! :twisted: I could barely get the oil filter to tighten 1 1/2 turns. Now thinking,common sense would have told me this is wrong since I have changed oil filers on my truck and riding mower and only have tightened them with about 1/8 turn past contact.

But I thought it was different for a motorcycle. Soooo.... I followed directions and when I was finished I started the bike and let it idle for about 5 mins. and checked for any oil leaks and it was ok. Then I decided to take it for a mile or so down the road and come back home and recheck the oil level and inspect for leaks. I got less than a mile when the oil and coolant lights began flashing. Thinking it was a malfunction in the electrical system I pulled off the road and looked down on the right side the bike was spewing oil from the filter :shock: I shut it off and sat there dumbfounded. I checked the oil leved and I lost 75% of the oil. So I turned around and slowly rode back home around 30mph with the oil spewing out and it was smoking due to the oil on the exhaust pipes. I made it home ok.

The next day I went to my dealer to buy more oil and a filter and explained what happened and showed them the owners manual about the directions for the filter. They couldn't believe what they read too. The mechanics and staff were passing the manual around and everybody read it. They told me it's a typo and the mechanics said I overtightended it. Duh! So I'm going to contact suzuki about the typo. Live and learn the hard way I suppose. Also the bike didn't suffer any engine damage or the transmission. What a mess it made. There was oil under the rear fender well and the wind had sprayed oil from the brake pedal all the way back to the license plate. It took 2 handwashings with Dawn dish soap to remove all the oil. After that I gave the entire bike a good waxing. :laughing: Not sure if there's any more typos in the manual but If I have any doubts before I attempt any maintenance I'll contact my dealer.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#47 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks for warning. I remember reading that "two turns" and thinking it was too much. Sounds like that was an aweful mess. I'm going to have the dealership do the first service since they change all the fluids. After that, I'll be doing them myself. A motorcycle mechanic recommended Amsoil. It's a bit more expensive but, he swears by it.

A co-worker said we might be able to solve the cold start problems with hotter plugs. I may try this after the break in period as well. I'll let ya know how it goes or if I hear differently about it. Figured I'd just keep the stock plugs as my spares.

I still need to get more photos of the bike in the sunshine and with me in my gear. Maybe this week I'll be able to talk my wife into it. :laughing:

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#48 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Just filled up today and my fuel consumption was awesome. I got 44 mpg on the first two fills and this time I got 53! Quite a jump. Triple checked my figures to make sure I did the math right. I'm hoping that's not a fluke but, it probably is.... :laughing:

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#49 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Scoutmedic wrote: I still need to get more photos of the bike in the sunshine and with me in my gear. Maybe this week I'll be able to talk my wife into it. :laughing:
She like mine? "But I took a picture of you last year"
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#50 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:laughing: Pretty much. At this point, I may be waiting until after her birthday. She wants a new digital camera. It's the least I can do since she let me buy a new motorcycle. :laughing: