Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Re: Scoutmedic -- The trials and journies of a *n00b*

#121 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Well, the battery tested fine and the bike is running like new.... Not sure what the problem was. Took it for a spin today of about 60 miles and never had a glitch. Talking to some friends that ride, I'm going to follow the suggestion of tracking down the frame/engine side of my main ground wire and check it.

On another note, took a test ride on the Victory Vision Tour. WOW! Very nice ride. Fit me well. Lots of luxury. Now I just need to win some money in the lottery tonight to pay for it. A local dealership has a smoking deal on a left over 2009 but, I promised my wife house remodeling this year and we're taking a trip to Vegas next year for my 40th birthday. So, if you're in the Erie PA area, Off Road Express has a 2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium in Black Cherry on sale for $16,999. It's the last of 10 that they purchased in December of 2009.

They also confirmed today that Arlen and Cory Ness will be at Roar On The Shore in Erie PA in August along with the factory test ride trailers for Victory and Yamaha.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#122 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Another summer has come and gone. My "old zuke" finally rolled over 15,000 miles. I enjoyed a bunch of great riding including Roar On The Shore in Erie, PA, the 3rd Annual Michael D Crotty Memorial Ride and, most recently, the Val Brown Benefit Ride in Butler County, PA. I helped coordinate a local display of the American Veterans Traveling Tribute. And I became a Road Captain for my Fire and Iron Motorcycle Club Station 281.

The bike problems disappeared with a new battery and I never had any other issues this summer.

I'm still hoping to get a few more Fall rides in before the snow flies including a "Grape Run" through Northwestern PA and Southwestern NY.

Still hoping to upgrade next year to a Victory Vision Tour. Only time will tell if I can truly afford it or not. Of course there are rides being planned already for next year. All the "regular" stuff as well as some special occasions such as my MC hosting a regional Meet & Greet.

I hope everyone had a fabulous year! Maybe I'll see some other TMW Riders next year!

Stay Safe Out There!!!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#123 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Another riding season is coming to an end as well as an end to my Zuke Noob days....

I'm ending this season with a little over 3,000 more miles on my 2006 Suzuki S50 (Intruder). As of today, it has 18,137 miles. I put a bunch of money into it in the Spring thinking that I would be keeping it for a couple more years and wanting to improve the comfort for longer distance riding. I invested in a Mustang seat, floorboards with heal-toe shifter, luggage rack and a full service including new air filters and checking all of the fluids. It also needed a new rear tire. Shortly after that "check-up", the rear tire started going flat. My opinion; They pinched the tube during installation. Their opinion; "You must have hit something really hard causing the tube to tear." Also after that "check-up", I started having some clutch problems. I didn't take it back to the dealership instead deciding on an independent mechanic that I know. He found that the clutch fluid was low and also "dirty". It had all kinds of "floaters" in it. He replaced the fluid and I haven't had a bit of trouble since.

About two weeks ago, I received an interesting offer that I couldn't pass up. My Zuke is now for sale and, my Zuke Noob days have ended.....

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Goldwing Noob ----

#124 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

A friend of mine purchased a 2003 Honda Gold Wing three years ago with 9,000 miles on it. It now has a little of 32,000 miles and, he has a knee problem prompting him to "take a year off". He knew that I've been looking at touring bikes for several years now. I've waffled between bikes, mainly the Victory's and the Wing. He asked if I'd be interested in buying his. My wife and I spent a couple days discussing the pros and cons and decided to go for it.

The Bike:
2003 Honda Gold Wing Blue with approximately 32,000 miles.
Extras:
Brand new Dunlop Elite III's, brand new brakes, fresh oil change, inspected through next July, half cover, full cover, driving lights, ring of fire lighting, driver backrest, Kuryakyn grips and driver 4x4 pegs, highway boards, Ram base mount, cup holder, saddlebag and top case carpeting, top case light, chrome dash surround, glow control surrounds (the '03 didn't come with lighted controls) and the Hornet deer alert. There may be more that I can't remember off hand.

I paid $11,000 and will be picking it up next week. The low book value was $12,000 and high book was close to $14,000. I think I definitely made a good deal on it and, I'm looking forward to enjoying it for years to come!

I'll post some pictures once I've got it home....

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#125 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Well, I've put around 1900 miles on the Wing. I can't say enough about how nice it is to ride. It's getting about 40 mpg, it's comfortable for both me and my wife and it's got more power than you could ever need. Already have some long distance rides planned for next year.

Now it's time to start buying some addons... lol ... I've already purchased some RAM mounts and the Cardo Scala Rider headsets. Planning on buying a vertical hitch and cooler rack. The rack will mostly be used for additional luggage (I know my wife and she doesn't know how to pack light).

The color is "Blue Illusion". Depending on the lighting, it looks blue or purple. Here are some pics of it:

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#126 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Nice shiny bike! Very nice!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#127 Unread post by Wrider »

Nice Geezerwing ya got there!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#128 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Thanks Pete and Wrider! I've been catching some harassment about buying an "old man bike" but, I just tell them I was born an old man! And then usually mention that the fastest recorded time on the Tail of the Dragon is on an 1800 Wing.... lol

I call it the Road Sofa!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#129 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Well, riding season 2012 is finally kicking into gear! I've got about 500 miles on the Road Sofa so far and looking to have close to a thousand by next week. I hope everyone is having a wonderful time on their bikes. Keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up! Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#130 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Well, it was a wonderful time riding this weekend in Northwest Pennsylvania. I put around 400 miles on traveling to Pittsburgh to participate in a benefit ride for the West Penn Burn Camp For Kids. The ride started at the MSA factory in Cranberry and ended near the North Hills section of Pittsburgh totaling a little over 100 miles. Myself and several of my motorcycle members wore our kilts during the ride. That was an interesting experience!

This afternoon, my Suzuki S50 sold. It's kind of bitter sweet. It was my first bike and I ordered it new from the dealer. I took it for one last ride to fill it up with gas for the new owner and to run some errands. I'm a bit sad to be seeing it go but, looking forward to spending the money on some home improvements and upgrades for my Gold Wing.

Looking like some pretty nice weather for the next 10 days so, I'm hoping to get a lot more riding in!

Stay Safe Out There!