Crofdragon
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: TBD

New rider - weird bike choice?

#1 Unread post by Crofdragon »

Ok stats on the situation.
I’m six foot two tall, 250ish pounds 47 years old. Never ridden a motorcycle outside of an msf course a couple years ago. Looking for a daily rider/commuter bike. The commute is four and a half miles in Southeast Michigan. So that includes four sets of railroad tracks and a metal grate drawbridge, but only 25 or 35 mph the whole ride.

Why am I looking for a daily commuter bike when I’ve never ridden before? Because after 20 years of 40-60 minute commutes on the freeway, I could finally afford to take a job I actually want and it’s ridiculously close to home, so why not ditch the never-ending leases and get something fun?

Am I getting in over my head too-quickly, probably. Am I going to regret this next January, oh hell yeah...but Winter makes way for Spring every year.

So, I’m looking at bikes that can honestly and objectively handle a rider my size and skill level and year round Michigan weather.

I started looking at scooters because of the easy learning curve and the Honda trail cub 125 is a strong contender, but then I came across the Yamaha tw200.

Weird little bike, cheap to operate/maintain, designed as an indestructible farm bike. I like it.

At my skill level, it sounds like it will be a bit forgiving if I take some time getting used to shifting or the inevitable drop. It certainly won’t be too powerful and get me in trouble that way, yet still enough horsepower to get me to my commute speeds without struggling.

Am I crazy to consider this? Can anybody recommend a better option?

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: New rider - weird bike choice?

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Couple of questions.....

Have you ridden a bicycle in your life?
Have you seen and sat on the bike yet?
Any urges for other uses of the bike?
Do you have gear yet?

Tall and larger as you are. Fit and feel are going to be important.
Before you buy find a dealership, or several, sit on and try how
one feels and if controls are easy to hand. Do your legs cramp or
can you sit relaxed. Its important, even in that short commute.

Because once you are comfortable with the ride Other uses will
arise.

PS
There are no weird choices in my mind.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Crofdragon
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Crofdragon »

Thanks for the response

Bicycles were practically a requirement where I grew up, so pavement to trails even a couple old quarries were great riding.

As for other uses, probably around town, running basic errands on days off etc. I don't really have a desire to ride on long trips, well, not yet at least. But I do fully understand that this bike wouldn't be a great one to ride for hours on a highway.

Test fit/sit will be a definite, right now I'm doing research and comparison shopping.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hi Crof!

TW200 is a solid choice, we have a couple we use as trainer bikes and everybody really likes them.

That said, at 6'2" and 250, you're gonna feel a little cramped on the TW. I'd recommend a dual-sport like the Yamaha XT250. We have a couple of these on my range too and they are bulletproof.

I'll also go on record as saying you should take a BRC again, even if just to knock the rust off.

Crofdragon
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Crofdragon »

Jack, I'll add the xt250 to my list, and I'm already looking around for a basic rider course that fits schedules and budgets.

Thanks for the input folks!

shawn2876
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 89
My Motorcycle: tamiya

#6 Unread post by shawn2876 »

Off-road Bikes (MTB) It is the most generally utilized bike type. It was intended for navigating timberlands and more unpleasant or hilly territories.

CorwinRT
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2008 CBR650

#7 Unread post by CorwinRT »

Welcome! What bike did you end up with?