New bike for a new 50 yr old rider, help.

TSilva
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None yet

New bike for a new 50 yr old rider, help.

#1 Unread post by TSilva »

Hello everyone, my name is terry. I have always wanted a bike, but because of limited money all my life i never put to much thought into getting a bike since it will mainly be just for fun. However now at 50 i have plenty of money.

I’m kinda a bigger guy , 6 ‘ 1” 235 lbs. Thant being said : i like the triumph bonniveille t100. But many people are saying to get the larger t120. Is the 1200 engine way to much? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks , Terry

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: New bike for a new 50 yr old rider, help.

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

TSilva wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 pm Hello everyone, my name is terry. I have always wanted a bike, but because of limited money all my life i never put to much thought into getting a bike since it will mainly be just for fun. However now at 50 i have plenty of money.

I’m kinda a bigger guy , 6 ‘ 1” 235 lbs. Thant being said : i like the triumph bonniveille t100. But many people are saying to get the larger t120. Is the 1200 engine way to much? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks , Terry
First...welcome to Total Motorcycle.
Second, congratulations on finally making your dream real.

As for the Triumph.....aside from the engine size difference, the T100 is a 900 cc machine, which is actually plenty big, and has a five speed transmission. The T200 at 1200cc is much more powerful, s o you will have to really respect that extra power as a noob. However, it has a 6 speed transmission, which is so much better for highway riding.

Only you can tell if it's right for you. Have you sat on the bike to know it fits you?

SamEdward
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012 BMW F650

#3 Unread post by SamEdward »

Initially, warmly congrats for your final success as you nailed it after that being in your early 50s you should choose a safe option. Motorcycle can be your passion but still elect that one who could be easily manageable, comfortable with no hurting or irritations at all. Harley Davidson's Street Glide would be best for all riders who are in their early 50s.

Reggie Stark
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Yamaha

#4 Unread post by Reggie Stark »

Take a look at Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. I recommend to search public auctions like which is a dependable platform to offer vehicles with great value for money. Not long ago I got another car there. 2 weeks of driving, zero complaints.

booth082
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Jupiter

#5 Unread post by booth082 »

TSilva wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 pm Hello everyone, my name is terry. I have always wanted a bike, but because of limited money all my life i never put to much thought into getting a bike since it will mainly be just for fun. However now at 50 i have plenty of money.

Hello Terry! Congratulations on having the means to purchase the bike you've always wanted. It's never too late to fulfill a dream!

When it comes to choosing between the Triumph Bonneville T100 and T120, the decision ultimately comes down to personal preference and how you plan to use the bike. The T100 has a 900cc engine and the T120 has a 1200cc engine, so there is a significant difference in power.

If you plan to use the bike mainly for leisurely rides and occasional trips, the T100 may be sufficient for your needs. It's a great bike for cruising around town or taking short trips on the weekends. However, if you plan to use the bike for longer trips or want more power and acceleration, the T120 may be a better fit for you. The larger engine will provide more torque and power, which can make a difference on longer rides or when riding with a passenger or luggage.

That being said, keep in mind that the T120 is a heavier bike than the T100, and it may be more challenging to handle for a newer rider or someone who is not used to larger bikes. It's essential to test ride both bikes to see which one feels more comfortable and suits your needs best.

Ultimately, it's your decision, and it's essential to choose a bike that you will enjoy riding and feel comfortable handling. Whichever bike you choose, make sure to invest in proper safety gear and take a motorcycle safety course to ensure that you are a safe and confident rider. Hope so it will be useful for you .

Deviandra
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: Honda Adv 160

#6 Unread post by Deviandra »

I recommend buying the Harley Softail Standard. The reason is because this motorbike is very comfortable to ride and its power is easy to control.

tepidponie
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Raven

#7 Unread post by tepidponie »

As a beginner, you should be wary of the T200's increased power due to its 1200cc engine size. Even if riding a motorcycle is your passion, you should only choose a model that you feel confident controlling and which doesn't cause you any discomfort.
Hurricanesoccer random