Motorcycle was backfiring, then completely stopped firing up, but will turn over

Cenglish
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1974 CB360t

Motorcycle was backfiring, then completely stopped firing up, but will turn over

#1 Unread post by Cenglish »

:(

The bike was running fine the other day.
Started it up today and was backfiring a lot for some reason. Turned the bike off and figured I’d come back to it later. Now the bike won’t fire up at all, but it will turn over. I’ve also tried bump starting it. It’s getting spark, I’ve cleaned the carbs, it’s getting gas, and I’ve also tried starting fluid and the battery is good.

I just need some help!

Is it compression or timing chain, does it need new rings and a piston. Could someone just give me an idea of what they think is wrong.

Miles_Ha11
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2016 Ducati Supersport

Re: Motorcycle was backfiring, then completely stopped firing up, but will turn over

#2 Unread post by Miles_Ha11 »

Have you tried to check your battery? A weak battery is one of the common reasons why you are having a bad start. You may want to check out your air filter as well.

SamEdward
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2012 BMW F650

Re: Motorcycle was backfiring, then completely stopped firing up, but will turn over

#3 Unread post by SamEdward »

Motorcycle's sudden Firing up, black smoke or cringe sounds alarm you of something messy in engine or battery. Do check battery first after that have keen look of engine.

Alfredlewis
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Suzuki

#4 Unread post by Alfredlewis »

Cenglish wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm :(

The bike was running fine the other day.
Started it up today and was backfiring a lot for some reason. Turned the bike off and figured I’d come back to it later. Now the bike won’t fire up at all, but it will turn over. I’ve also tried bump starting it. It’s getting spark, I’ve cleaned the carbs, it’s getting gas, and I’ve also tried starting fluid and the battery is good.

I just need some help!

Is it compression or timing chain, does it need new rings and a piston. Could someone just give me an idea of what they think is wrong.

Hello,

The bike was running well but now it's backfiring and won't start, even though it turns over. The spark, carbs, gas, and battery have been checked and seem fine. The person is seeking advice on what could be the problem, such as compression or timing chain issues, or if new rings and a piston are needed. They're looking for ideas on what could be wrong. My Sutter Online

Deborahh4196
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Livo

#5 Unread post by Deborahh4196 »

This can be caused by a faulty mass airflow sensor or a clogged engine air filter "choking" the engine and not allowing enough oxygen to flow into it. Or, it could be caused by leaking fuel injectors forcing too much fuel into the engine.

donkyhote
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: 2012/yamaha/2012

#6 Unread post by donkyhote »

Good to hear TMW people are helpful to fix things!

lauryfriese
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: Honda 2009

#7 Unread post by lauryfriese »

If your motorcycle was running fine previously but is now backfiring and refusing to start, despite having spark, fuel, and a good battery, there are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can take

1. Check the Timing: Backfiring can sometimes be a result of incorrect ignition timing. Verify that the timing is set correctly according to the manufacturer's specifications. If the timing is off, adjust it accordingly.

1. Inspect the Spark Plugs: Even if you have confirmed that there is spark, the spark plugs themselves could be fouled or worn. Remove the spark plugs and inspect them for signs of damage, fouling, or wear. Consider cleaning or replacing them if necessary.

1. Fuel Quality and Flow: While you mentioned that the bike is getting gas, it's worth checking the quality of the fuel and ensuring that there are no obstructions in the fuel lines or filters. Old or contaminated fuel can cause starting issues. If in doubt, try draining the fuel tank and adding fresh fuel.

1. Air Intake and Filter: Check the air intake system, including the air filter, for any blockages or restrictions. A clogged air filter can affect the air-to-fuel ratio and hinder starting. Clean or replace the air filter if needed.

1. Compression Test: Conduct a compression test to evaluate the condition of the engine's cylinders and piston rings. Low compression can lead to starting difficulties. Consult the motorcycle's service manual for the recommended compression values.

1. Electrical Connections and Grounds: Inspect all electrical connections, including those related to the ignition system, for any loose, corroded, or damaged connections. Ensure that all grounds are clean and secure.

1. Consider Professional Assistance: If you have exhausted all the above steps and are still experiencing issues, it may be beneficial to consult a professional motorcycle mechanic or dealer. They have the expertise and specialized tools to diagnose and resolve complex starting problems.

Remember to prioritize your safety while working on your motorcycle. Wear appropriate protective gear and follow all necessary precautions outlined in the motorcycle's service manual.
Last edited by lauryfriese on Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.