Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: -

My first Motorcycle

#1 Unread post by Bruno23 »

Hello everyone

I'll soon have my driving license (car) and want to jump right away into learning to ride the motorcycle. First I'll need a bike obvs :D. The thing is, on a good day I'm 5.7 and about 147lbs (19 years old) in other words light and short. I live in switzerland which means good streets. It also means that I have to wait until I'm 25 to ride whatever I want, till then there are limits. I will be buying a motorcycle during the winter and keep it until I'm 25 and can finally buy myself something like a HD Dyna Super Glide ( 6 more years till I'm 25 ). My budget is max. 4-5k without the gear. The less I spend the better. I will be using the motorcycle when the weather is fine to go to school and work. Bassically to ride in the city and not long distances.

I'm afraid that if I buy a very heavy bike I wont even be able to controll it. I'm having a hard time choosing a bike. My biggest concern expect for the weight is the sitting position. I am afraid of the aggresive one, that heavy bikes have, like the Ninja 250.

Something like a FZ-07, cb 125 r or ys 125 would be better, because of the sitting position.

Another factor I'm scared of is leaning sideways like MotoGP. Do I need to that if I buy something like a Ninja 250? Or can I atleast until I'm comfortable just not lean at all?

A lot of you might say I should just go for a test drive, but I have only been once on a Super Moto and would probably fck up the bike that is not even mine. So how do I even test if Im afraid I'll crash?

Regarding SUMO's, I really liked riding one and they are not out of the question, but I'd prefer what I've listed down below.

So with all that said. What should I go for? Keep in mind the fear of heavy bikes (bc I'm not strong:)), aggressive sitting position and leaning sideways.

Here are some I've been looking at:

- Yamaha YS 125

- Honda CB 125 R

- KTM Duke

- FZ-07

- Ninja 250 (maybe)

- DRZ 400 SM (maybe)

*Edit: My Workplace is 9 minutes up the alps, so I need a somewhat powerful bike.

Thank you and please don't be mean because of my fears. I have to start somewhere and need all the help I can get.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: My first Motorcycle

#2 Unread post by madjak30 »

My first advice is...

Before buying anything, go take a motorcycle safety course. Most courses (at least here in Canada) have an assortment of bikes you can "practice" on. Try all the different styles of bike that the course offers so that you can see which style makes you feel most comfortable and secure.
Riding a motorcycle is very stable, so once you are moving there is little chance that the bike will tip over. Tipping over usually happens when you are coming to a stop. It doesn't take long to get used to the bikes balance points.
A cruiser style bike is normally heavier, but the weight is also at a lower center of gravity as opposed to a sporty style bike which will be lighter but the weight is more towards the top of the bike.

For me, the dual sport bikes were most comfortable to learn on but their seats do tend to be higher (I'm 5'11" and about 230lbs).

Another option is going into the bike shops and asking to just sit on all of the different styles of bike...comfort is key. You don't need to take them for a ride to feel the weight and balance of the bike.

Hope this helps...good luck and have fun!

:cheers:
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#3 Unread post by pchast »

He is right. When you check at dealers, sit on what they have and evaluate how they fit...

Then talk to the mechanic staff. Many, if not most, machines can be adjusted somehow
for their height and reach. It may affect the way they react.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#4 Unread post by ZooTech »

Those bikes don't belong in a lost together. I vote for the Duke. Otherwise I'd suggest a Ninja 500 over the 250.

Luettgen
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: honda

#5 Unread post by Luettgen »

madjak30 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:56 am My first advice is...

Before buying anything, go take a motorcycle safety course. Most courses (at least here in Canada) have an assortment of bikes you can "practice" on. Try all the different styles of bike that the course offers so that you can see which style makes you feel most comfortable and secure.
Riding a motorcycle is very stable, so once you are moving there is little chance that the bike will tip over. Tipping over usually happens when you are coming to a stop. It doesn't take long to get used to the bikes balance points.
A cruiser style bike is normally heavier, but the weight is also at a lower center of gravity as opposed to a sporty style bike which will be lighter but the weight is more towards the top of the bike AARP Medicare

For me, the dual sport bikes were most comfortable to learn on but their seats do tend to be higher (I'm 5'11" and about 230lbs).

Another option is going into the bike shops and asking to just sit on all of the different styles of bike...comfort is key. You don't need to take them for a ride to feel the weight and balance of the bike.

Hope this helps...good luck and have fun!

:cheers:
This post is really amazing. Thanks for the sharing.