New wannabe rider, stumped by questions lol

zhuk
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: not yet purchased

New wannabe rider, stumped by questions lol

#1 Unread post by zhuk »

G'day to everyone on the forum...an aussie here :) and just barely a rider (at 2x 1hr private lessons so far, didn't get out of first lol)

Starting out pretty late in life (just turned 49) but bikes have been on my mind for a long time before deciding to take the step and get the wheels rolling. Lots of questions? yeah I have them lol

I'm going for my pre-learner's course next week, a Govt-mandated course of 3 1/2 hrs each day over two days (not sure how that equates with your MSF) which concludes with a basic pass/fail test - if successful you attend a motor registry, pass a written test and voila! A brand new pair of L plates which enables you to roam wild on the public road system...7 hrs total doesn't seem like much, does it heh :o

Presuming I pass (and I don't see why I won't) the next step is to buy the bike! Which is the least of my questions, having decided on the TU250 for its standard position, reliability and lack of plastic (sorry to sportsbike lovers out there lol)

What really concerns me is the *learning issue. Everything I've read states "go to an empty parking lot" (we just don't have them everywhere as apparently you do in the US!) or ride a route in quiet local streets until you are familiar. My problem is where I am is a looped point of land, very hilly with no real flat areas, the only access to it being a very busy 4 lane road (also hilly terrain) which leads onto a high speed 70km/hr roadway and the largest concrete span bridge in the Southern hemisphere lol

Not ideal, obviously heh.

I am wondering if it is even feasible to start learning on a rather steep hill, with few in any real flat areas and narrow streets? (not counting actually getting out of it onto the 4 laner)

People I've talked to, including a mate who rides just say "Get out there and you will eventually learn" but at 9 hrs total riding exp, I dunno that sounds like a bit of an ask :P Not to mention potentially risky lol

I've really come to the forum to get some opnions on this - I really do want to ride but this scenario seems to go against all the advice I've read (including the beginner section on TMW)

Any thoughts, much appreciated guys.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: New wannabe rider, stumped by questions lol

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

What is needed is an area of roads with no traffic. While learning your mind is focused on dealing with the machine and has little left for dealing with traffic. Meantime, traffic (other drivers) are the biggest real danger to you.

Your scenario sounds terrible. Can you get a buddy to ride your bike to a better area and you ride over there for a few hours? Then have your buddy ride your bike back?
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

zhuk
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by zhuk »

Thanks for your reply, GS - much appreciated mate.

Yeah its bit of a rock-and-hard-place scenario, I admit!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who rides, so it might be the deal-breaker. Although the training centre does have a private road, and (for a price, ahem lol ) you can hire one of their bikes after you obtain a licence, and work up some kind of competency before buying your own bike.
That might be my only recourse, though its not going to bring the traffic-factor into the equation. But for basic bare handling/gearing skills, it could be the solution. I have read of people on newly-minted L's riding their bikes home from the dealer/seller, with a friend following in a car, white-knuckling it all the way at about 40km/hr...and on a major multi-lane freeway with everyone passing you at 110 :shock:

Not something I'd be keen on doing lol

Thanks again for replying GS...I'll run my options past the instructor at the course tomorrow :)

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I'll admit to white-knuckling my first motorcycle home from the dealer. But then I had a nice quiet neighborhood to practice in afterwards.

Good luck!
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

zhuk
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by zhuk »

Thanks mate! :mrgreen:

I'm like a dog with a bone when I get my mind on something, so I'm sure I can work a solution to this. Appreciate your opinion and feedback, I'm even more determined to get something sorted now :)

Cheers from the unfashionable Hemisphere lol

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#6 Unread post by pchast »

For several months I loaded my wife's bike into my PU truck and drove to a parking lot for her to
practice. Are you sure there isn't a parking lot around you could use? Even check out businesses
after work hours.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

#7 Unread post by Jamers! »

Hi there and welcome to TMW and to Riding!

Your concern and worry is just and its obvious you are taking the right steps with the right attitude. I would be most curious how you felt after your course. Living in a VERY hilly area I had some of the same fears. Yet after my two weekend MSF course most were relieved. I still did a few things the first few weeks to get my confidence up. Full disclosure I have a Manuel transmission in my truck so for whatever that is worth the idea(s) of timing the clutch gas exchange and feathering it and all that is well ingrained.

Even still, let me share a few things I did. I got up early and rode around the hills nearest my house. Either very early before AM rush hour or maybe 0900 after most people are at work. This close to home, safeish time were excellent to work on coordinating all my feet, hands and head to get the bike to chug up a hill without lurching or sputtering.

Another thing I did was to pull over a lot on hills to practice. Got a long hill with no one on it? pull to the side, stop, start. go a block, repeat. If you have limited time and space, use the most of it.

Anyhow, hope that helps in some way. Best of luck in your classes and please come back and update us as to your progress!
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

First off, welcome to TMW, lots of friendly people here, ask your questions and I'm sure that many will chime in. Secondly, welcome to this crazy lifestyle choice of two wheels.

Tough choices, but I'm sure you'll over come these "small" obstacles. Parking lots: These can be anything, Church, Strip mall, Large shopping centres. Do your practicing after hours and get all your skill sets honed. After hours works because there is less traffic to and from the parking lot. To help with your practice, small pylons for setting up an obstacle course are very handy, but, bright orange or yellow tennis balls cut in half can sometimes be a $ saver. IMHO, concentrate on figure 8's, emergency stops, shifting/ throttle control, starting and stopping at a corner or on a hill. Most training courses give you just the basic skills so you can go out and scare the crap out of yourself, if more time with an instructor is what you need, don't hesitate...

Tips: (Feel free to add to these folks...)

* Probably one of the most important ones, "Where you look, is where you go." It may sound obvious, but if you're having trouble with figure 8's, chances are that you're not looking where you want to go. If you are trying to get to the other side of a 25 foot circle, look at that spot, but keep looking ahead of it as you make your way around, if you fixate on just the one spot, chances are, that's where you stop, in a not so convenient manner.

* Which leads us to fixating, This can be on anything, a sign post, another bike or vehicle, the curb. Chances are if you fixate on these things, you'll end up getting way too close and possibly hitting them, or having another obstacle take you by surprise. Be aware of your total surroundings, but never centre your concentration on just one thing. When setting up pylons for doing the zig zag through a long line of them, don't look at the pylons, look at that big open space in the middle of them and that will be where you go between them.

*ATGATT: If you've been browsing the site, you'll have seen this handy little acronym around. All The Gear, All The Time. Dress for the fall not for the ride. Even a slow speed fall can be hard on you, just imagine one at hwy speeds. The idea is to stay on two wheels, but when you don't, you want to be able to walk away rather than be carried away.

Enough for now, enjoy your journey, keep the rubber side down...

Doug
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"