About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Re: About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

#11 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I missed the $2k... You can buy a running Vulcan 500 inside the DC beltway for $2k. 20 years newer, better motor, great sound. Pre 85 nighthawk is... Ok but not worth $2k
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

juntjoo
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 82 Honda Nighthawk

Re: About to be a proud new owner of an 82 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike EVER! So... yeah, kinda excited.

#12 Unread post by juntjoo »

Thanks all. Too late now lol. Keeping my fingers crossed as I'm inspecting this bike and finding all the missing screws and what-not. I'll figure it all out and report back.

I wanted a cruiser initially but when I found this bike, others browsing CL, I fell for it's hybrid style. Again, I've never ridden so I'm going off my imagination but I so far I like the way it feels under my butt. Just gotta get it in good health hopefully for not too much money. We'll see...

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by juntjoo »

Oh no, what's the part called that opens the fuel tank up? The switch with the reserve setting. That's leaking. No wonder he didn't want to put gas in it. Is there a gasket in that to change or just change out the whole part?

Also the front brake system is clogged or something. I put some fluid in and it didn't go down. And I couldn't suck any through the bleeder valves/nipples whatever they're called. Is there some flushing procedure/solution? I shall start googling....

storysunfolding

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

You want a petcock (fuel valve) rebuild kit. Can't hurt to do a master cylinder rebuild kit (brakes) and switch to steel braided lines at the same time.

Pictures?
My Blog

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by juntjoo »

storysunfolding wrote:You want a petcock (fuel valve) rebuild kit. Can't hurt to do a master cylinder rebuild kit (brakes) and switch to steel braided lines at the same time.

Pictures?
Thanks. No pics yet cuz my camera is broken. Gotta fix that too! Ugh. Okay, petcock, funny name. It looks small enough to just replace but I'll take your suggestion into account. I'm not looking at it at the moment but I thought I saw it was held together with a could rivits instead of bolts. Will look into it tomorrow. Steel braided and MC rebuild. Or get a whole new one as the lever is broke at the very end. No biggie. I just want to get this running first of all. Will look into some sort of flushing solution if available. Trying to minimize costs, initially at least. Will check online for a manual. That's what I need...

storysunfolding

#16 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Worry about safety.

If I were you Id inventory what I need first. No way you are getting around not buying new tires. Carbs are going to need to be pulled and cleaned. Brake system rebuilt (you can try flushing fluid through it by opening the nipple as you squeeze the lever - a bottle might do it- then bleed the air out), new fuel lines, no vaccum lines, new battery, and petcock rebuild to start.

Begin pricing it out but remember a motorcycle is already dangerous - don't cut corners fixing it. Take your time.
My Blog

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by juntjoo »

storysunfolding wrote:Worry about safety.

If I were you Id inventory what I need first. No way you are getting around not buying new tires. Carbs are going to need to be pulled and cleaned. Brake system rebuilt (you can try flushing fluid through it by opening the nipple as you squeeze the lever - a bottle might do it- then bleed the air out), new fuel lines, no vaccum lines, new battery, and petcock rebuild to start.

Begin pricing it out but remember a motorcycle is already dangerous - don't cut corners fixing it. Take your time.
Thank you. I hear ya. Being that I've never ridden I'm in no rush to ride more than around a few blocks within my vicinity under 30 for a good while. And I'm not young and made of rubber so I'm not planning on taking many risks, beyond simply riding a motorcycle.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#18 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Since I last looked at this thread the value of that motorcycle has plummeted as the actual condition is being revealed.

If you can't flush brake fluid thru it then chances are that the pistons are rusted because the fluid has never been changed.
If the petcock is leaking and the tank is empty not only does the petcock need to be rebuilt or replaced but the tank is likely rusty because instead of being immersed fully in gasoline, the tank interior has been exposed to air and moisture the entire time - that after the gasoline has stripped any possible oil film that could have protected it.

Projects are fine but it sounds like there are a lot of obstacles between you and actually riding.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

juntjoo
Regular
Regular

#19 Unread post by juntjoo »

storysunfolding wrote:You want a petcock (fuel valve) rebuild kit. Can't hurt to do a master cylinder rebuild kit (brakes) and switch to steel braided lines at the same time.

Pictures?

Here's a vid. Blurry but little better than any possible pics. Btw, any way to respond to posts without quoting? Thanks

storysunfolding

#20 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Check out this site. http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/c ... rs[page]=2

Grab the fuel valve and brake rebuild kits. If you can afford another grand it would be easier to have a mechanic do this for you. If not, see if you can find a local forum and wrenching day for assistance.

Where are you located btw? It's not in your profile.
My Blog