Kage909
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1999 Kawasaki en500 vulcan

Most Important Gear??

#1 Unread post by Kage909 »

Ok besides a helmet (required by law for new bikers in the U.S.) :USA: . I was wondering would would be sufficient gear for riding. I don't plan on racing with my bike (It's a 99 Vulcan 500) I am mostly going to be using it for the occasional commute to show off, and go on a ride with Friends. I have a DOT and SNELL 2015 approved full face helm, Icon striker CE vest, armored bilt gloves, and a good solid pair of boots. Will that be sufficient gear to ride in for a new biker? :motorcycle: (P.S. I'll post pics later)

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Most Important Gear??

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

You might want to include some pants in the list. At least don't ride in shorts.

Many people ride in jeans (me included) but recognize that they provide nearly no protection against crashes.
When I go out for an all-day ride I wear leather riding pants with hip and knee pads.

Of course it's all probabilities. If you aren't going to crash, you don't need any of it. But if you ARE going to crash- how much of it will you need?

I highly recommend earplugs as the wind noise against a helmet can be loud enough to damage hearing.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

GS_in_CO wrote:Of course it's all probabilities. If you aren't going to crash, you don't need any of it. But if you ARE going to crash- how much of it will you need?
What GS said. What's protecting your arms should you go down? What about your legs? How much skin are you prepared to lose?

Don't mean to be unpleasant, but nobody plans to crash. That's why they're called "accidents". Nobody plans to have an idiot car driver suddenly turn left in front of them. Nobody plans to come around a blind corner and find gravel or oil in the road.

I was backing my bike out of the driveway on Sunday, for about the 14,000th time, and almost dumped it (for the first time ever) 'cause I wasn't paying attention. The bike would have been scratched up, but my leg that might have gotten caught underneath would have been protected because I was ATGATT.

Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

jstark47 wrote: What's protecting your arms should you go down? What about your legs? How much skin are you prepared to lose?

I don't know what a CE vest is but sort of assumed it was kind of a jacket. If it's not a jacket, then a jacket with elbow and shoulder protection is needed. Unless you don't need your arms to work right for the rest of your life.

When thinking of protective clothing I think of fighter pilots waddling out to their airplanes baking in the sun while wearing 50lb of survival gear in nomex flame resistant coveralls wearing heavy boots and putting on gloves and helmet before starting engines. They aren't planning to crash either but they are about as prepared for it as they can be. I can do the same. In fact, my chances of being in a motorcycle crash are greater than their chance of being in an aircraft accident. I'll put up with the discomfort while riding so I don't have as much permanent damage later if something bad happens.

I've been riding since 1979. Haven't gone down in the street yet. But it could happen.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Kage909
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Kage909 »

GS_in_CO wrote:
jstark47 wrote: What's protecting your arms should you go down? What about your legs? How much skin are you prepared to lose?

I don't know what a CE vest is but sort of assumed it was kind of a jacket. If it's not a jacket, then a jacket with elbow and shoulder protection is needed. Unless you don't need your arms to work right for the rest of your life :clap: .
CE Vest/Field Armor, here it is. :? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon ... ryker-vest

I ALSO wear a Leather Jacket as well. Next time I get paid I'll get elbow pads and use those also if it's too hot for the jacket. :|

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

If the vest were ballistic armor it could be dual-use :-) Looks like a good idea. But hands, elbows and knees hit the ground first most of the time (as I understand it).

You're covering more bases than many so you'll do fine. Just don't crash.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Aside from the other obvious reasons mentioned above.... to wear long sleeved ballistic jackets with armour and full pants with knee pads...

Getting hit by a bee at highway speed hurts like hell. :mrgreen:

Kage909
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Kage909 »

blues2cruise wrote:Aside from the other obvious reasons mentioned above.... to wear long sleeved ballistic jackets with armour and full pants with knee pads...

Lol A bee? :blink:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

Kage909 wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:Aside from the other obvious reasons mentioned above.... to wear long sleeved ballistic jackets with armour and full pants with knee pads...

Lol A bee? :blink:
Bee, june bug, any large flying insect. You'd be surprised what they feel like at 60mph. The impact will raise a welt on unprotected skin. And there's small objects kicked up by cars like stones, etc.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:Bee, june bug, any large flying insect. You'd be surprised what they feel like at 60mph. The impact will raise a welt on unprotected skin. And there's small objects kicked up by cars like stones, etc.
+1 "Dress for the crash" does have a point, but all this stuff also protects you in everyday riding, everything from helmets minimizing hearing damage, to jackets protecting you from sun, wind, rain, the works. I've been hit by all sorts of weird tiny little things, like jstark47 mentions, which could've potentially hurt like hell. The fact that I was protected also could've prevented a crash, you never know.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."