ddavitt
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2002 V Star Classic

Helmet Intercoms

#1 Unread post by ddavitt »

I've seen a few different types out there , and later this year might be considering purchasing a good solid system . Mostly driver to passenger , but the connectivity intrigues me .

For those that Cruise and use intercoms , what do you use and how do you like it ?

My use would be at mostly highway speeds , in a modular or full face helmet and almost exclusively for passenger to driver communications .

I searched the forums and didn't see this topic covered , but did see announcements of new systems out and available , is the G-9 the end all-be all for intercoms ? I'm not into complicated systems so much as solid performance ! But ,, if a complicated set-up is going to give me some rock solid performance , I'm up for that too .

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: Helmet Intercoms

#2 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I use a Sena SMH-10, and I'm really happy with it. Being able to talk to my buddies while riding really transforms the experience. All sorts of simple things are made lots easier; telling people you need to stop for a restroom/snack/stretch break, discussing navigation or where to eat, giving really specific warnings, or just chatting if the road is boring (especially on freeways).

Pairing a bluetooth intercom with your phone for music or phone calls should also be handy, although I don't often listen to music. The only times I've called a cellphone from a moving motorcycle was when a riding buddy got out of bluetooth range, and we were wondering where he was (his phone was also paired to his intercom). So yeah, that functionality is handy for minor/major emergencies.

I chose the SMH-10 because you can conference call with a bunch of other riders, but if you're pretty sure you'll only use it to talk to a pillion, there are simpler and less expensive systems that will fit your needs. Lots of comparisons between different systems online, so there's no lack of info out there. Good luck with your search.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

We bought a matched set of G9's as our Christmas present to ourselves this year, but haven't had a change to try them yet, due to the vicious winter we had here. Come back in a few weeks and I'll probably have a report!

(BTW, this is our second comm system - we also have an older Autocom wired set up; still have it as a back up).
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The guys I ride with took mine away cause NOBODY wants to be in my helmet :mrgreen: I rant I sing I scream and make sound effects apparently. :shock:
there aint nothin like it

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Almost two years ago now I got to test all the models on the market as part of building the On Street Experience course for Cape Fox Professional Services (They run the military traffic safety program for the US Navy & Marine Corps as well as the PA state program- hopefully more soon). After testing literally everything on the market we found the Sena SMH-10 to be the most durable, reliable and useful. The only advantage was the newer uclear units for multirider signal strength. Instead of linking unit A-B, B-C, and C-D, the units link to each other in a mesh network. So each unit projects to the next unit and they all sync together. We were able to get much further apart and still have good signal. With the Sena units if A switched places with D the signal degraded quickly. For our experience though, it wasn't an issue as we didn't get that far from each other but uclear definitely stole the market.

Another good part about sena is the units are firmware up-gradable. They've added numerous features since I bought mine which I can quickly upload onto my unit and take full advantage of every few months. There tends to be a deal on Sena units online (especially through ADVrider). You get a bigger discount if you buy a two pack (which it sounds like you will). My friends have been able to get two packs for as low as $200 shipped.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Just saw this on youtube. Bike intercom buying guide. A bit too much focus on the flagship models of each manufacturer, but still a good overview . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPibkZS-H4
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

storysunfolding

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Good find!
My Blog

ddavitt
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by ddavitt »

Some great Information !

Thank you all !

Now, to dig in and start doing some homework .

Brumbear , I was hoping to avoid just that situation myself . I rant , yell at stupid cage drivers , and often think out loud in general , do any systems have a kind of 'Over-ride' that prevent my incoherent , not so polite rambling from being broadcast to the entire group ?

ddavitt
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by ddavitt »

Grey Thumper wrote:Just saw this on youtube. Bike intercom buying guide. A bit too much focus on the flagship models of each manufacturer, but still a good overview . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPibkZS-H4

Just watched this , Great overview ! Thank you !

storysunfolding

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

ddavitt wrote: Brumbear , I was hoping to avoid just that situation myself . I rant , yell at stupid cage drivers , and often think out loud in general , do any systems have a kind of 'Over-ride' that prevent my incoherent , not so polite rambling from being broadcast to the entire group ?
You'd be surprised what happens on an open intercomm over a long ride. Last time me and 3 guys just started singing random songs, then improvising riding songs. Stopped, took the helmets off then went down the way singing said songs as loud as we could in search of a not as busy eating establishment.

Intercomms open a whole new level of riding friendship.
My Blog