Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: None

New Bike Advice - Dirt-Pavement Commuter

#1 Unread post by apash »

Hi everyone,

First time posting. Haven't ridden a bike in a long time and looking for a little advice. I live about 1 km in on a dirt road and travel about 30 km each way to work every day. No highway driving. We live on the top of a small mountain so there is a decent incline to climb coming home every day. I'm looking for a bike to use primarily as a commuter, but it would be nice to be able to take it on the back roads in the area. It would be even better if I could also take it for highway trips of no longer than 6 hours from home. I'm 5'10'' and 180 lbs. As a kid I rode a little Honda CT70 for years and then rode a Yamaha 650 Maxim for a couple of years in my early 20s. That was nearly 20 years ago now and I haven't been on a bike since. I've been doing some research and I think my best choices are:

Honda NC700x
Honda CB500X
Honda CRF 250L (probably wouldn't work for the highway trips)
Kawasaki KLR 650 (might be a bit big?)
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Suzuki Boulevard S40
Suzuki DR650
Yamaha XT250 (also not good for the highway)
Zero DS (pricey, but...)

Drawn to the look of Bonneville and Royal Enfield, but not certain about them for my purposes.

Any thoughts? What would work best of these if budget weren't an issue? Which would be the best budget conscious choice? Anything I'm overlooking? Thanks.

Anthony

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: New Bike Advice - Dirt-Pavement Commuter

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

You're correct to rule out the 250s for the 6hrs on highway riding.
If it was JUST the commute they'd be fine and super-economical.

Next thing to look at could be seat height. Might rule out the KLR650 since if it's really tall you might have issues with low proficiency. (I might be wrong about tall seat height though)

Any of the rest should work well enough unless your short stretch of dirt is really a 4WD jeep trail....

The 400/500/700 displacement is the sweet spot for sufficient power but not too much weight.

My personal style is that I like to explore places which suggests wider handlebars for good leverage when turning around at lows speed in the middle of some forlorn road.

You have several good choices. Have fun making the decision :D
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

apash
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by apash »

I guess what I really want to know is what would be my best, cheapest choice for a bike to get me back and forth to work and what would be my best choice for all-round use: dirt, trail, pavement, and touring. Thanks again. (Budget depends on a lot of variables at this point.)

Anthony

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

apash wrote:I guess what I really want to know is what would be my best, cheapest choice for a bike to get me back and forth to work and what would be my best choice for all-round use: dirt, trail, pavement, and touring. Thanks again. (Budget depends on a lot of variables at this point.)

Anthony
Not even experienced riders will agree on the answer to that question. It's kind of like the "fast/cheap/good - pick 2" problem.

You'd even have to define your terms - what *kind* of dirt? what *kind* of trail? How far are you touring and how much stuff are you carrying? (Don't try to answer - that's a rhetorical question)

You may find that you don't actually know the ways you'll use the bike until you have had one for awhile and notice some things you can't do with what you own.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Kawasaki versys, Suzuki Vstrom should do it and you can find em cheap.
there aint nothin like it

apash
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by apash »

Thanks for the advice everyone,

I think the plan will be to look for the following bikes first:

Honda CRF 250L
Kawasaki KLX 250S
Suzuki DR200
Yamaha
TW200
XT250
WR250R

Or if I can find one for the right price:

Honda
NC700x
CB500x
XR650L
Kawasaki
Versys
Royal Enfield
Bullet 500
Suzuki
DR-Z400
V-Strom 650
DR650

Any clear winners or losers here? If not, I'll probably just go with whatever feels best and I can pick up the cheapest. Any thoughts on new over used or vice versa? Thanks.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Should be able to find an older KLR for cheap. I like the older look better, it's truly the best for any offroad on the list you mentioned. Once you upgrade the doohickey (google it... that's seriously the name). She's fine on the interstate for touring if a bit buzzy. Lots of aftermarket accessories both new and used (craigslist for the win!). Best part, as you get back into riding (especially off road) and find that you dropped it- you'll barely notice on a KLR. It's a tank of a machine. That's your best budget machine.

If not a for a budget the BMW 800 GS Adventure. Just nimble enough for good offroad (versus the beast 1200), great for commuting and killer for touring.

I like the bonnie too but I'd never take it on anything other than slab or light gravel roads. I'd stay clear of the Royal Enfield. Those things are awful for relability.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

apash
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by apash »

Thanks storysunfolding,

I'll have to sit on the KLR to see if it is too big or not, otherwise I've heard it's a great bike. As for the Royal Enfield, they are supposed to have gotten more reliable with the new Bullet 500, but maybe they're still not there yet. Thanks again.

Anthony

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

When someone has to tell you that a brand has gotten more reliable- it's a sign to worry.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

apash
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by apash »

storysunfolding wrote:When someone has to tell you that a brand has gotten more reliable- it's a sign to worry.
Point taken.

Sat on a couple of bikes today. Found the KLR650 a bit too tall for me. Tips of toes on the ground, but that's it. Same with the Suzuki DR-Z400 and the Yamaha WR250R. The V-Strom 650 was much better, but having not been on a bike for a lot of years, it felt a bit heavy to not have my feet firmly on the ground. The XT250 felt just about perfect for where I'm at right now. Would like to compare it with the Honda CRF250 and the CB500x. Also interested to see if the Yamaha DR650 feels more comfortable than the KLR.