Mookie
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: DNA

My first 'unintended' lay down!

#1 Unread post by Mookie »

I'm a noob back riding after a couple of decades off. While searching for a bike to buy, opinions here suggested a used bike since many said '...as a noob, you're probably going to drop it or lay it down...' I found the truth of that statement that last week.

Traveling in traffic in downtown Denver at less than 20 mph (on a '05 Honda Shadow VLX), I noticed that a car two slots in front of me was on and off the brakes as if searching for something. I thought I backed off enough but before I could realize it the car immediately in front of me came to a sudden and FULL stop - I guess the first car ahead found what they were looking for and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn. No chance for an avoidance swerve on either side, so I locked up everything I could lock up and slid, still vertical, into the car ahead of me. The sudden contact stopped the bike but my momentum threw me off to the right side. Luckily, no sliding on the pavement, no contact with the street with my head, etc. I was uninjured but found myself lying on the ground staring at the kill switch - which was then right in front of my face. I hit it and then tok stock of my physical condition. I was ok and quickly got on my feet to tend to the bike. The driver behind me stopped and helped me right the bike and get it out of traffic.

The lady I hit, got out and was very attentive to my condition and apologized for the sudden stop blaming the driver in front of her. She was actually pretty good about it all and made double sure I was ok before she left.
The driver who helped me with the bike might have been a rider since he offered that '...I was watching you and you did everything you possibly could...'. Faint praise.

Anyway, I'm ok, lucky AND informed. It can and will happen as "they" say. I'm adding a bit more following distance now. Maybe using a 14 sec. rule vs. a 12 second one.

The bike has a small scratch and small dent at the tip of the front fender, and I think I pushed the handle bars down a bit making my exit since there is a small dent on the tank right were the start switch would make contact - which obviously it did. And I have a claim on my insurance since I left a soft-ball sized dent in the car's lower plastic bumber - dang it.

I was able to ride away, but I'll be taking the bike in as soon as possible to see if I bent the forks or the front wheel, and to have the handlebars re-positioned.

So I've had my first one. I hope and intend not to have more 'unintended lay downs'. At an empty parking lot, I'm revisiting what I learned about sudden stops from the riding course, and building upon what I learned from this 'slow-speed' incident.

Be safe gang. Take the rider's course, pay attention and practice. At least I'm able to get back on my 'scoot' and keep riding...a little wiser for it all.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: My first 'unintended' lay down!

#2 Unread post by madjak30 »

Glad to hear you're okay and there was little damage...but like you said, practice...that's something I am going to be doing for my first few rides this season...hit the parking lot for some slow ride practice to get my balance & control back...then practice some panic stops & avoidance...you can never practice too much!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Glad to hear that it did not end up a lot worse than it did and it sounds like you have learned how to avoid the same costly mistake in the future. The only shame that comes from something like this is when riders look to blame others instead of looking for what they can do themselves to prevent the same thing from happening again. Well done :righton:

The only thing I really feel compelled to coment on is the "unintentional lay down" comment that you made. This leads me to suspect that you believe there is a time to "lay'er down" as per the old bikers mythology. I urge you to challenge that notion and ask yourself when giving up steering and braking control in favour of skidding uncontrollably on your @ss down the pavement would be a good decision. It was a common phrase used in bygone days by bikers who were looking to tell a good story to cover up for their incompetence in riding for one reason or another. Usually the real reason for the "lay down" is locking up the rear brake in a panic situation, ending up on your butt and then looking for a cool sounding way to say "I meant to do that".

Thanks for telling your story - it can happen to any of us and it is a good reminder

Ride safe.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Good to hear you are OK thats the most important bit. The beginning of the season for us riders who have riding seasons is always about getting back into the swing so don't get discouraged and keep on keepin on!!!!!! :D
there aint nothin like it

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Glad you're OK. I absolutely hate driving and riding in Denver traffic. It has to be one of the least accessible cities for cars after D.C.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

momule
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650

#6 Unread post by momule »

I had to chuckle at the reference to your first "unintended" lay down. I've never thought of it that way, considering any lay down to be unintended and the result of a series of events, some unavoidable perhaps, but mostly preventable somewhere before the bike went down.
"ONE DAY AT A TIME"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Glad to hear you are ok and the bike sounds like it faired quite well. With this experience under your belt you'll find yourself a little different type of rider now, but that's good as it's a continuous learning curve. For replacement parts I would check eBay rather than dealer if you want to replace anything. Too bad about the insurance call, is her insurance covering anything on your bike or?

I have to admit, I did get a chuckle out of your first line as it's so true for so many:
opinions here suggested a used bike since many said '...as a noob, you're probably going to drop it or lay it down...' I found the truth of that statement that last week.
I have to agree with High_Side, laying down a bike doesn't stop it as fast as using the brakes. I imagine back in the 60's when drum brakes were the norm, laying it down might have been an option but even then I would hesitate to say it would stop faster, with today's brakes, you'll definitely stop faster using them.

I wonder if this experience will lead you to your next bike being ABS? I've never tried ABS before (shock!) but a bike with ABS might not have gone down in this situation.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.