New Bike Questions - for a 6'5" rider (non-sport ha!)

tog
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: n/a

New Bike Questions - for a 6'5" rider (non-sport ha!)

#1 Unread post by tog »

Hey! Been perusing this forum and it's been a big help.

I'm a new rider, signed up for my safety course and am looking at bikes. Naturally, I have a lot of questions. The one difficulty I'm having is that I'm 6'5" with long legs (36" inseam) and lots of bikes are apparently too small. Here's what I've "decided" on so far (based on advice from experienced riders I've received):

1) Get ABS. While you shouldn't ever "need" ABS, who's going to argue when it saves your life?
2) Buy your gear first - get good quality gear and a new helmet.
3) Not interested in a sport bike, looking at a standard/naked/cruiser.

The difficulty is then in finding a used bike that would fit my frame, my price range (ideally $5000 but have looked at $7000). I've looked at a number of different bikes, but am feeling overwhelmed. Luckily, I have an experienced rider who is helping me check out these bikes. Here's what's been recommended to me so far:

1) H-D Sportster 1200 (883 is too small)-but doesn't have ABS and apparently lots of people on this forum don't like Harleys?
2) Ducati 796 (696 too small)-but I can't find any in my price range. Maybe the S2R or S4R?
3) I've looked at the Yamaha Virago, V-Star, and Honda Shadow but people I know who have ridden these bikes have argued against them for various reasons.
4) There are a plethora of other bikes I've looked at as well (Suzuki Boulevards, Triumph Speed Triples, V Stroms, etc. etc. etc.), but based on some recommendations the top 2 are the ones I've focused on.

So, if you're really tall and not interested in crotch rockets what do you look at?

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Re: New Bike Questions - for a 6'5" rider (non-sport ha!)

#2 Unread post by sapaul »

Hey, there are plenty people on this forum like Harley's. I am not fond of them and they are not my style, but there are some really good models out there. I notice non of the adventure tourers are on your list

BMW GS
KTM 990 adventure
Yamaha super ten

do non of these appeal to you, very capable bikes that would suit the taller person
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

If you're more interested in utility than looks, I'd check out bikes like the Kawasaki Versys and the Suzuki V-strom 650. These are both 650cc twins in a mild state of tune, built on spacious frames, with lots of aftermarket support. I'm sure used ones can be found in your price range. The V-strom comes with ABS, not sure about the Versys.

By the way, all Sportsters (perhaps excluding the XR1200) have basically the same size frame, with minor differences. If you fit on a 1200, you'll fit on an 883. I'm 6'1" and I find Sportsters cramped, but each person is built differently. Go test-sit on some at a dealership and see if they're comfortable.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Welcome to the forum tog...

I'm with sapaul...long legs, look at adventure type of bikes...a great bike to start with would be the Suzuki DRZ400SM...taller saddle height & a blast to ride around town...can take abuse (you may drop a bike a few times when learning ;-) ) It is essentially a dirt bike for the street...uber manouverable, light, torqey and comes with huge grin factor. It's also available as the DRZ400S and is even taller yet, but is more off road than on...still a decent road bike though.

If that isn't your style...the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, Suzuki Boulevard M50, Honda Shadow 750 and Star 950 are all good bikes to start on...and are a little larger in frame, although they are a little heavy so you need to be cautious in slow stuff for a while...they won't do well in a drop, lots of metal bits to scratch & dent.

The Versys & Vstrom are great bikes, but more of a second bike choice to me...but definitely not out of the question. But they won't fare well in a drop...fancy body work to crack & break...

The European bikes are good choices too for tall guys...BMW G650GS...not sure on pricing, but you should be able to find one used in your range...

Kawasaki KLR650...great utility bike...decent comfort...heavier than the DRZ, but lighter than the rest of them...high seat height, good leg room...

Just a few suggestions.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Almost every motorcycle is designed for a 5'10" dude weighing about 170 lbs. See lots of guys that go up in size thinking the seating is going to change but it never happens.

Go sit on every bike you can find, even new bikes. Once you find the right feel, you can start narrowing down the search so you're not driving 100 miles to get a deal on craigslist just to find out it hurts after siting for 3 minutes.

I joke with Gummi on Harleys from time to time but it's good natured fun. I make fun of all bikes equally- especially Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Gas Gas and BMW (ones I own). Harley represents one of the best build qualities in the industry and feels like a luxury bike in every model. I'm just not a fan of their geometry or engines as I tend to be more of a sport to adventure leaning rider (all puns intended). One day if I get into cruisers, they'll be on my list- but so will victory, honda and maybe triumph.

As an owner I highly recommend the V-strom. It's already high and theres lots of accessories/room for opening up your footpeg options. I loan mine to my 6'7.5" friend alot and he loved it better than his connie right up till he bought his GS adventure. The 650 is plenty of power and is out the door with ABS for what 7-8k new? Used they're significantly less.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I have the same tallness issue as you. I'm 6'4" tall, and like size 14 shoes you never have as much choice as if you were a size 10. There are very few cruisers that will fit you that are good to start out on, most of the ones that will fit you are full sized (but also full weight) cruisers and anything over 750cc I would suggest to stay away from. But as suggested, check out those 750/800cc ones and see if any fit (if you are interested in going that route). None fit me though, but your inseam might be shorter.

Adventure bikes DO fit me (and will you) such as a V-Strom 650, KLR650 and Versys 650. The GS650 is a good bike but see if you like it's seat.

No Ducati will fit you most likely. Great bikes but small framed.

If you want a standard it's short pickings. Bandit 600/650, ZR7, even a GS500E will fit you. Triumph Bonnie may or may not fit you (I'll bet not).

I decided for my 8th bike to get a Moto Guzzi V7. (750cc standard). They fit me and I'm in love with it even with it's little Italian issues.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

tog
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: n/a

#7 Unread post by tog »

Hey I wanted to thank everyone for the replies, this was hugely helpful.

I had the opportunity the past week to visit a bunch of dealerships and thus look at a bunch of bikes. Unfortunately, I just really do not like the adventure styling one bit, dirt bikes have never appealed to me and I just really don't like the look. Not saying I'm refusing to settle for a V-strom (given how many of you recommend it) but I'm hoping to find something else that meets the criteria. At the end of the day though, I'm not going to pick a less safe/worst bike just because of looks, rather live on an ugly bike than die on a pretty one right? That being said, what I did is talk to some people and try and find bikes that were similar to those here mentioned and in my price range.

In terms of standard, the Versys and Honda NC700S fit. While adventure, I did like the Triumph Tiger and KTM Superduke 990 and were able to find both used in my price range and both fit. Not sure if the superduke though is a good beginner bike. Haven't found any BMWs in my price range (had a bead on a F800R but sold before I could look at it). The Bandit didn't fit well and I haven't been able to find a GS500E yet. The one other bike I looked at were the Aprilia Shiver 750. It seemed to fit based on sitting on it (my knees were on the right position on the tank) but I can't say without being able to test ride yet.

In terms of cruisers the V star and Shadow I found uncomfortable, while the Boulevard M50 and Vulcan 900 seemed to fit well. A Triumph American also was comfortable. The Sportsters didn't fit either, but I was able to get in contact with an old friend who's been a Harley mechanic for over 40 years, and he recommended a 98 or 99 H-D Dyna Wide Glide (apparently superior bike to later models). Not sure your thoughts on the Dyna.

Clearly my best bet will be once I have my full license (week tomorrow!) to test ride some of these bikes as sitting on them helped (goodbye Triumph Triple).

For your amusement, I included a picture of myself riding my sister's Honda Rebel 250. Think it might be a little small, eh?
Attachments
Rebel 250... little small
Rebel 250... little small

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Since you're signed up for the safety course, in the event that you have to use a rebel (sometimes it's the best of what they have), sit on the pillion seat. I've had lots of students do that over the years that encumbered with additional airspace.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#9 Unread post by Hanson »

One thing I have noticed in the used market is that most of the V-Strom bikes for sale have a lot of miles on the odometer. I think this says something good about the utility of the model.
ImageImage