MikeL
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

Which Course?!

#1 Unread post by MikeL »

Hey everyone. New guy here. =] I don't know how other states are, but here in Oregon we have different levels of Saftey Courses to take. I initially signed up for the 3 day beginner class. But after thinking it through, and not wanting to miss work, I decided to upgrade to the 1 day intermediate class. I know HOW to ride and I'm familiar with the controls. But I've never ridden a street bike before; I have an old 175cc dirt bike that sometimes runs that I learned on. (unfortunately, I can't get it to run often so I never got a lot of practice time)

So knowing what I know, having a basic understanding of how the bikes run and are controlled, would you guys say that I can get by with taking just the intermediate class? I'd like to avoid the "This is a motorcycle" orientation if that's essentially what more the beginner class offers.

If you guys think I'd have better luck taking the basic class, then I'll switch back. Otherwise, I'd like to avoid missing work and take the intermediate class.

Thanks

Mike

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Which Course?!

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

That is what the beginner course is. Keep in mind though in a lot of states when you complete the BRC you come out with your license, plus you use their bikes. In the intermediate course you use your own bike and it's expected you already have your license.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MikeL
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by MikeL »

Wrider wrote:That is what the beginner course is. Keep in mind though in a lot of states when you complete the BRC you come out with your license, plus you use their bikes. In the intermediate course you use your own bike and it's expected you already have your license.

Actually here they have bikes for both classes. In the basic class, both the written and skills tests are waived. But in the intermediate class, just the skills test is waived and the written test will be administered at the DMV. So no, they don't expect us to have our own bikes or a license.

Anyway, since that isn't an issue, are you saying that the two tests are essentially identical except for the "motorcycle orientation" that the basic class offers?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Oh wow, here it's much different then. And I honestly can't answer that last question personally, because I haven't taken the Intermediate or Experienced riders' courses.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi and welcome!

If you've never had formal training and have had very limited time on your dirt bike I'd say you'd be better off with the beginner course. I know three days sounds like a lot but you'd be surprised at all the things you learn when you start from scratch.

That being said, when I took my beginner's class I remember there being a fairly cocky guy who had ridden many a dirt bike for many years and he definitely did not need to take the beginner's class. However in Canada you pretty much have no choice if you want an insurance discount on your first street bike - you're going to take the beginner's.

Regardless, I also believe that dirt riding is waaaayyy different to street riding so just because a person has ridden a dirt bike doesn't mean they are an expert on the road.

Where do you think your skill level is with your dirt riding?
Andrea :sun:

MikeL
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by MikeL »

sunshine229 wrote:Hi and welcome!

If you've never had formal training and have had very limited time on your dirt bike I'd say you'd be better off with the beginner course. I know three days sounds like a lot but you'd be surprised at all the things you learn when you start from scratch.

That being said, when I took my beginner's class I remember there being a fairly cocky guy who had ridden many a dirt bike for many years and he definitely did not need to take the beginner's class. However in Canada you pretty much have no choice if you want an insurance discount on your first street bike - you're going to take the beginner's.

Regardless, I also believe that dirt riding is waaaayyy different to street riding so just because a person has ridden a dirt bike doesn't mean they are an expert on the road.

Where do you think your skill level is with your dirt riding?

My dirt skill level? Beginner. Haha. I know how to start a bike, use the clutch, shift gears, use the breaks, etc. I'm familiar with the operation of a bike. And that's about it. =\

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

MikeL wrote:
My dirt skill level? Beginner. Haha. I know how to start a bike, use the clutch, shift gears, use the breaks, etc. I'm familiar with the operation of a bike. And that's about it. =\
Well then it goes without saying - I'm going to recommend you stick to the beginner's class. :motorcycle:

Wouldn't you rather learn from the ground up, rather than be expected to start at mid-grade and go with the flow? The last thing you want is to feel pressured to keep up with people who have higher skill level than you. This is the NUMBER ONE thing new riders need to remember when starting out. Push yourself too much and.... accident.
Andrea :sun:

MikeL
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by MikeL »

sunshine229 wrote:
MikeL wrote:
Well then it goes without saying - I'm going to recommend you stick to the beginner's class. :motorcycle:

Wouldn't you rather learn from the ground up, rather than be expected to start at mid-grade and go with the flow? The last thing you want is to feel pressured to keep up with people who have higher skill level than you. This is the NUMBER ONE thing new riders need to remember when starting out. Push yourself too much and.... accident.

I agree completely. I'll give Team Oregon a call tomorrow and reschedule my course one more time. :P I think I just needed some reassurance. I could use more hours on a bike anyway and with the basic course I think they have two 7 hour range sessions.

Philo
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

#9 Unread post by Philo »

Take a look at the following terms:

Counter-steering
target fixation
contact patch
"look through the turn"
decreasing radius turn
outside-inside-outside

If you don't know what any of these terms means, take the beginner course. Not knowing the meaning of these (and many other terms) could cost more than you want to pay. There is no such thing as too much training.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#10 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I took a beginner course in 2003 after riding on and off since 1993. I gained an amazing set of skills that have saved my life on more than one occasion. I'm considering taking it again next year just to refresh my memory (and get more practice with parking lot maneuvers on someone else's bike).

Good for you, taking the beginner course.
Ooooooh. Shiny!