franklyfresh
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Suzuki VS800 Intruder

First Bike Advice: 2003 Suzuki VS800 Intruder

#1 Unread post by franklyfresh »

Hey, been looking around for my first bike for a while now. I definitely had a 250cc Ninja/CBR in mind, but someone who just got out of the military contacted me. He's leaving for home and cannot take his bike with him so he needs to sell it quick. It's a 2003 Suzuki VS800 Intruder with 17,000 miles. He originally asked for $2,500 or best offer, but I quickly told him I only had $1,650 budgeted to spend on my first bike (truth). He said he would accept that offer.

I have a few questions about this bike:
  • It is 805cc, but a cruiser not sportbike, would it be too much for me to handle? the owner does not think so
  • Assuming no major mechanical or electrical problems, is $1,650 for a 2003 Intruder with 17k a good deal? He claims this is a very good deal.
  • What should I look for and ask about when I meet up to check out the bike, what guide/checklist should I use?
  • Would taking the bike to a mechanic be necessary? If so how would I go about this?
I really know nothing about bikes, as fresh as new riders get. Sorry for all the questions but it would be extremely appreciated if I could get some help. I only have $1,650 for the bike, some money set aside for gear, maintenance, insurance, etc. But I do not have money for major mechanical fixes. I want to make sure that what I am buying is both a good deal and a reliable bike. I will be using it all summer to commute to school and work.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: First Bike Advice: 2003 Suzuki VS800 Intruder

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

It's a horrible deal. Terrible deal. In fact, it's such a bad deal, I'd like to tell this guy how scummy he is for trying to take advantage of you like that. What's his number? 17000 miles you say?

Seriously though -- yeah, that's not a bad deal at all for the bike. In fact, it's damn near a steal. Kelly Blue Book lists that bike at $2,925, so the guy's not lying when he tells you it's a very good deal. It's probably killing him to consider $1,650.

Is is the right deal for you? That I don't know. A sub-liter cruiser like this certainly isn't the best commuter bike you could get your hands on, and it isn't going to get anywhere near the same kinda gas mileage you could get out of a 250 Ninja or CBR. That said, the Intruder's a great bike and that's an excellent price for one. 17000 miles is nothing, especially if this guy has been diligent with maintainence. It looks well taken care of from the pictures, exhaust is a little blued but that happens.

Only you can answer if it's more power than you can handle. Have you already or are you going to take an MSF beginners course? If you don't want to do that, then this certainly isn't the right bike. But if you're going to take the steps to learn properly and be responsible on the bike, then you shouldn't have any trouble handling an 800.

You should certainly have a mechanic look at it if there's time to arrange it. Call around to some motorcycle dealerships and talk to someone in the service department, they'll help you set something up. You'll definitely have to pay the mechanic yourself for a once-over, and you'll probably have to break this guys balls to get him to bring the bike to the shop. I doubt you could get a mechanic to travel to the bike, but who knows? Give it a shot.

There's a lot of stuff you should look for yourself, what I'll recommend is you Google "used bike checklist" and just print what you get.

Finally, hell, you could do worse than to buy the bike from the guy, then turn around and sell it to someone else for $2,300. Congrats, your bike fund just when up $650.

One more thing that just occured to me, did you take the pics or did he take them and send them to you? It'd be nice to see the other side of the bike...

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#3 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Good looking bike. I'd hate to drop it. He left a decent amount of tread on the tires, too. 17k miles is respectable. Might mean he rode it just often enough to keep things in good working order.

800cc is a lot to handle and I agree wholly with Jack. If you plan on riding this beast, you had better take the MSF course. It may save your life, especially while handling a bike this size with no other practical experience.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#4 Unread post by pchast »

Hi, If you check the spec guide here, that bike is listed as 50 HP and less then
500 lbs. A little heavier but not more Horse Power than normally recommended.

Only you can judge if it fits you.

IMHO we all need a class to get a good introduction to using a Motorcycle. Are
classes available there?
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

First off let me say I definitely recommend the MSF class.

Secondly let me say I started off on a 2001 Suzuki Volusia (VL800). Exact same motor as that, and definitely has enough power to move you around without a problem. It'll do 90 all day long, won't do over 100 without going downhill with a tailwind, and 80 is perfect for it. It will still surprise you how fast it can accelerate, and the Intruder handles better than my Volusia did (which wasn't bad itself), so that won't be an issue either. Make sure it's not a bit heavy for you to pick up off of the sidestand and you should be fine.

It looks like he's taken exceptional care of it.

I'd definitely recommend taking it to a mechanic, the easiest way is to drop it off at a shop and ask for a pre-buy inspection. They usually run about 50 bucks, but it's 50 bucks well spent if you avoid a lemon, plus 50 bucks well spent to have peace of mind.

As far as price, if the bike checks out and you don't jump on this deal, I'll jump on you! lol That is an absolutely fantastic price, and like Jack says, it's probably killing the dude to sell it at that price.

The only thing that I would be any kind of concerned about is the bluing on the pipes. I'm guessing he's running a bit lean, but that is quite literally a 2 hour, $50 fix for someone who's never owned a bike before. Trust me on this.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by Scott58 »

I have an 05 and it's a good bike. Light for a cruiser that size (reason I bought mine) and pretty fast. I've got almost twice the miles on mine with no issues. Just tire and battery change. The price is right. Go for it. If for some reason you don't like it you could sell it and probably make a profit.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

Great advice and not even a thank you...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"