Lucky Lady
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Harley Sportster XL1200

right of way

#1 Unread post by Lucky Lady »

Since I've begun motorcycling (on my 3rd year), I've noticed that cars often don't take their right-of-way. They think they're doing us a favor by waving us on...but I don't feel comfortable with that. This problem occurs at small and large intersections. It's very frustrating. Anyone else bothered by this? Do you just go ahead and take the turn anyhow?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: right of way

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

Yup. Particularly in the early morning, the car refusing to take its right of way is backlit by the sun, and I really can't see whatever stupid little gesture the driver is making.

If I drop the sidestand and put my feet up on the bars for a nap, they generally get the idea I ain't moving till they go..... :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#3 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

This is the sort of situation where I've become a bit of an agressive rider. If they don't go in a reasnable amount of time, I just take the intersection. I figure they've seen me if they're waiting, so they'll read me getting ready to go in plenty of time to not run me down.

If visibility is awful (sun angle, etc), I pop it into neutral and put my hands at my sides to indicate I'm not going anywhere until they do. Fists on hips and head cocked, if need be. I call it the "Disapproving Mom" pose. This last may only work for lady riders.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

ShovelheadJohn
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1983 FLH

#4 Unread post by ShovelheadJohn »

Thats a tricky spot to be in....I giver and get the heck outa there, I'm always afraid the car driver will loose patience and pull out the same time I do. At least I know he/she see's me.........

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#5 Unread post by Loonette »

I cannot stand it when cagers treat me as if I can't manage an intersection properly. I too have resorted to putting the bike in neutral, crossing my arms, and shaking my head "no". Creating confusion at an intersection doesn't do ME any favors.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600