Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

Plausible? 2nd car replacement / yacht on 2 wheels in TX

#1 Unread post by Septimus »

Hi TMW:

Been a long time. You all helped me a ton back in 2006/2007 when I was first getting my license and tooling around on my first bike, a fantastic Kawasaki Ninja 500 that I used to get the heck out of New York City for a while until Life Happened (wife happened) and suddenly I was getting out of NYC beyond bike distance and with more luggage than my little Ninja would fit, so I sold it :crybaby: and have been driving around a cage in the interim, a situation only made tolerable by the fact that I was able to spend the money I was no longer spending on motorcycles on airplanes and got my pilot's license. :kicking:

Fast forward to early next year and we're moving from the NYC area to Austin, Texas, and it's time for the Second Car, which, on account of my having completely given in to my wife's preferences on First Car, I have considerable leeway over. The big reason for this is that I work from home and she does not, so she's driving every day and I only occasionally need to go anywhere when she isn't around. But it's occasionally enough that having one vehicle ain't gonna cut it, and as yet I cannot afford my own personal VTOL, which brings me back to TMW.

'I want a beemer,' I realized, totally irrationally (I've never owned a beemer, though my dad had one growing up). 'But I can only afford half of a 3-series...so why not get a bike?!?' Cue chest-thumping and happy monkey noises at this Brilliant Plan I hatched.

'But I haven't ridden a bike in three years except for that scooter in Sorrento,' replies the rational side of my brain, 'and I could buy three Ninjas for what a beemer costs. Possibly I should put on the brakes and check in with people who know this stuff better than I do.'

So here's my dilemma:

- I don't know anything about Nice Bikes like beemers, just Great Bikes like little Kawasakis. I know they're purdy, that's it.
- I don't care about top speed and I don't care about looking like a tough guy. I am the ultimate vehicle pragmatist. Our cage is a Mazda3 (2.5 liter) and we love it even if it doesn't turn too many heads.
- The weather in Austin is the opposite of what I'm used to: great outdoors weather 8-10 months of the year and 2-3 months of misery right where high season used to be.
- I'm looking for versatility and comfort in case I have to ride the thing for nine hours straight, though chiefly it'll just have to run errands. I won't be taking it offroad (on purpose).
- Since I budgeted for a car, I can afford a nice bike, but it has a lot of jobs to do: hard luggage (removeable, preferably), not going to cause muscle/joint pain after more than 45 minutes in the saddle, and I do love me some gadgets (do they do bikes with built-in gps now or is that stupid?)
- I am willing to invest a good amount of time and money (and will be re-taking the MSS) but also don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
- Can buy new but would prefer to buy 1-3 years old.

My questions:

- Is it practical to think that you can ride pretty much year-round in the Austin area? Forgetting about the 1-3 days a year with extreme weather (110 degrees, everything on fire), am I shooting myself in the foot by relying on two wheels? It's not southern CA, I know, and I'm more comfortable riding around in the cold as I'm from New England, but I have no friggin' idea what people ride around in when it's 95 degrees out, except for t-shirts and flipflops and that's not me. Can you be safe without boiling yourself alive?
- I'm looking at the 'touring' segment just because the kind of versatility I need seems to lend itself to that. What kind of bikes would you recommend? I joke about beemers but I don't really dislike any brands or have preferences as to country of origin: if it gets the job done I'll gladly take a look. What kind of features should I expect in the higher end of the market and what kinds of things do you give up in the middle/lower segments?
- Is this a) the best idea ever or b) I'm an idiot for thinking about it and should just buy a car and come back later to buy a bike that doesn't have to do more than get me from A to be on a nice cool day?

I realize that some of these questions I can answer just by looking around the net and that's what I'm about to set out to do, but this forum was great when I was getting started and I wanted to drop back in!

Thanks so much,
S
2007 BMW F800ST

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Plausible? 2nd car replacement / yacht on 2 wheels in TX

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

First, :welcome2: back!! Not only to TMW but to riding as well. 3 years away? No worries! A week of refresher riding and you'll be back in your old stride in no time. :D

For a BMW motorcycle, you are in for a quality and prestigous ride. They are pricy used and parts are more costly (it's a BMW) but quality is right up there and with the 800cc series (in fact, almost all BMW's) they get amazing MPG too. I'm not sure about insurance or BMW accessores but do expect them to cost a little more than Suzuki's stuff.

For a recommendation, I suggest checking out the 2010 (or older) BMW F800ST, light, comfortable and it's setup for commuting or touring. http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... F800ST.htm

If you are tall, look into a used Suzuki V-Strom 650, they have won a boat load of awards and are get in everything like the BMW: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ouring.htm

For hot weather riding, well, I never take off my gear when it's hot (even boiling 104°F / 40°C) I prefer to sweat than to bleed myself. But if you buy a textile jacket they have cooling pockets/zips that let in the air.

Whatever you do or get, have fun!!

Mike

P.S.: I just howled at your line:
'I want a beemer,' I realized, totally irrationally (I've never owned a beemer, though my dad had one growing up). 'But I can only afford half of a 3-series...so why not get a bike?!?' Cue chest-thumping and happy monkey noises at this Brilliant Plan I hatched.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Septimus »

Those are exactly the two models I settled on in my first half day of checking them out.

For the V-Strom, what's the deal with the 'adventure' line? I've always loved the V-Stroms from what I've seen of them (and a buddy has one) but it seems to lean just a little bit more toward the off-road option, being a dual-sport, than the BMW 800s do as 'sport tourers,' even if practically they are in pretty much the same niche.
2007 BMW F800ST

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

You may also want to check out the FZ6, the Ninja 650, and possibly an FZ1 or Ninja 1000. All of those are pretty decent and reliable bikes, all can be fitted with decent sized saddlebags easily, and all can be commutable without a problem in the world.
The Ducati Multistrada also has a pretty good following as a sport tourer FWIW.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Septimus »

Has the bimmer 800 changed much in the last few years? It looks like it's fundamentally still the same bike as it was in '06. Any reason to get new or recently used rather than, say, an '07?

Like the Ninja 650 a lot but I think it's just a little bit on the 'sport' side for me. Looks like a great successor to the 500 I had though. The 1000 is probably overkill and I'll check out the Yamahas, not too familiar with them. Thanks!
2007 BMW F800ST

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

Then there's the Yamaha Super Ténéré

Really advanced technology and capable of just about anything you want it to do. A friend rode about 520 miles with nary a sore butt cheek. Totally loves his ride...

Last edited by dr_bar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Septimus
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Septimus »

want.

clearly, the solution here is: one of each
2007 BMW F800ST

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Definitely do your research, get on all the bikes you're considering, ride them if possible. Check out the standard features and see what you have to pay extra on the others so that all bikes are "equal" before you see he difference in price...

PS: the Ténéré's seat is adjustable in hieght in case you have issues.

Philo
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

#9 Unread post by Philo »

Hi Septimus,

I am in Houston. Our weather is the same as yours with more humidity. Yes, you can ride year round. A couple of things you might want to invest in. A cool vest for the six months (not two) that it is scorchingly hot. You can soak it in water, wring it out, and wear it under a perforated or mesh jacket and it will help make the heat bearable. Second, a heated vest for the few days the weather gets really cold. Those two items and a rain suit will aloow you to ride year round. As far as the bike, I ride a Goldwing, it has a built in GPS as well as a ton of other gadgets. I just got back from a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway, Syline Drive, and Washington D.C. Did 3700 hundred miles in 10 days, including one 800 and one 700 mile day. The bike handled like a dream and was super comfortable. Goldwings aren't for everyone, but I would at least take a look. They are a bit pricey. Good luck.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

You get temperature in Texas cold enough to warrant a heated vest?????????????????????????

I live in Vancouver BC and rarely ever plug in even if I wear my heated vest.