Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0

Having trouble finding the right 1st bike for my GF and me

#1 Unread post by DMV Messiah »

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys can help!

My girlfriend and I just took the MSF class last weekend and I'm ready to pick up a starter bike. We have run into some issues, however. Here is the basic rundown:

$$$: I'm looking used and not looking too much over $3,000 (US).

US: She is 5'3" / 120lbs and I'm 6' / 170lbs. Finances kind off dictate that we are going to need to ride the same bike for a while. Plus, I don't have the greatest confidence in here ability to handle something too big or powerful and I don't want her to hurt herself. I would rather have something small on me than big on her.

Kinds of bikes: She will just be riding around the town. Me, I commute 20 miles via highway to work, so I need something that can at least keep highway speeds. I'm not into sport bikes--I'm pretty fond of the standards (especially) and cruisers I've seen.

So far I've looked at a few Hondas--mostly Rebel 250 and Nighthawk 250. The Rebel seems to small and underpowered for me, and the Nighthawk seems a little better, but I am not sure how it will perform on the freeway. Is 250 too small for us to start with if I plan on doing daily freeway driving?

Any other recommendations? I had a friend over today who suggested that I start with something in the 450-600cc range. He suggested a used Suzuki.

I am looking at Honda Rebels and Honda Nighthawk 250s this week and would love to hear any thoughts on whether or not those bikes would fit my needs, or whether or any other recommendations you guys might have.

Thanks!
DMV

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Having trouble finding the right 1st bike for my GF and

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

DMV Messiah wrote:So far I've looked at a few Hondas--mostly Rebel 250 and Nighthawk 250. The Rebel seems to small and underpowered for me, and the Nighthawk seems a little better, but I am not sure how it will perform on the freeway. Is 250 too small for us to start with if I plan on doing daily freeway driving?
I guess it depends on where you are. Where I am (south-central New Jersey), "freeway driving" means "cruise at 80 mph, with power in reserve if needed for evasive maneuver". That generally rules out 250's, except maybe the Ninja 250........ which despite it's sport-bike appearance, is actually a plastic-clad standard. Also check out its big brother the Ninja 500 (no longer in production, but many late-model used ones around) and Suzuki's GS500F. These are also more standard in riding position than you might think at first glance.

Good luck with your search.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

DMV Messiah
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by DMV Messiah »

Thanks jstark47!

I'm in Austin, TX and driving to Round Rock, TX everyday (about a 25 mile commute for me daily on I-35). I could probably safely get away with cruising about 65-70, but I would definitely need a bit of power to get out of tight spots at that speed if I needed to.

We checked out the Ninja but it is actually a bit tall for my girlfriend. The seating position is such that she can't really touch her feet to the ground completely during a stop ... which makes the whole thing a little unstable for her.

Is 500 too much power to take on in a first bike?

Thanks!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

DMV Messiah wrote:Is 500 too much power to take on in a first bike?
The two 500's I mentioned are generally considered appropriate as first bikes. They have user-friendly, predictable torque curves. You didn't mentioned cruisers as a preferred style, but cruisers tend to have lower seat heights. Smaller cruisers like Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Suzuki Boulevard S40 (formerly called the Savage) and Honda VLX would be appropriate as first bikes. Of these, only the Suzuki is still in production, but again, many lightly-used ones are around for sale. (I even know a dealership that has a '09 Vulcan 500 leftover still on the floor.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by agraebner »

If you like cruisers the Honda VLX might be a good fit its easy on a beginner both power and handling ( IMHO) As far as standards go night hawks from a few years back might be a good fit up to the 650 version. I recently acquired a 1991 Nighthawk 750 and I would advise that's too much bike for starting on as a general rule. The older models can be had well withing your price range including any needed service.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

zee
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GS500F

#6 Unread post by zee »

Congratulations on starting out the right way - with MSF and research into a good starter bike for you both.

I started about 2 months ago on my GS500F. I'm just a little taller than your girlfriend at 5'5", and I can pretty much stand with both feet flat on the ground. It's a stretch, but I can do it. And I don't think it's too much bike to start out with. YMMV

We just picked up a 2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 for my husband to start riding. As he doesn't have his endorsement yet, I rode it home. With just two months riding experience, I didn't have any trouble with it at all. It'll take a little getting used to... but it doesn't seem like it would be all that bad to start off with. Sure, it's a little heavier, which is noticeable at stops. It's definitely easier to stand up though.

If you haven't already, check out the Beginners Guide to Motorcycling on the main site. It's full of good info! :righton:

Best of luck in your search, whatever you decide!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome: Franklin to the Total Motorcycle Community! Thanks for joining us.

Ditto with the "Congratulations on starting out the right way - with MSF and research into a good starter bike for you both." that is a really smart move in so many ways.

You and your g/f are going to have so much fun riding. With $3,000 USD you could get 2 used motorcycles. I keep this page up to watch the $1000 motorcycles on eBay: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/shopping ... urance.htm . I purchased BOTH of our motorcycles on eBay for about $4000 USD, they are being a 2001 Kawasaki Z750F and a 2002 GSX-750Y, neither are recommended for starting on but just to show you can buy 2 bikes for $3k that are smaller.

If she is 5'3" tall then a cruiser is going to be her style of bike, for 6' you are just at the tallish mark for many cruisers and sportbikes. A standard would work for you both like I and my wife started out on (1978-1981 Honda CB400T) but they are hard to find now, a GS500E would work nicely though. A side note about the 250 ninja, it will do 145km/h (that's 90 MPH).

About used bikes, try to find a well taken care of one, which the owner doesn't want to sell or part with. Had regular oil changes and looks clean and starts easily.

Thanks Zee for recommending my Beginner's Guide to Motorcycling BTW! :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#8 Unread post by flw »

Totalmotorcycle is right. Two $1500 bikes becuase you two are to far apart in height for a single solution. She needs to be flat footed at the stop light and you need to be able to turn the bike without the handlebars hitting your knee's.

Generally speaking the type of bike she would fit best in most likely in the 250 class with the 500 class like the Kawaski vulcan 500 as a option.

For you start at the 500 class like the Vulcan 500. It still rides like a small bike but has a larger frame than typical 250's. Depending on your inseem you may be too long for the Vulcan but only a test ride will tell.

For both bikes, find a local seller not a dealer for a test ride and best price. If your not familar with bikes bring someone that is with you or make the deal contingent on a inspection within a day before the deal is final and it MUST BE IN WRITTING. If its not written down, it didn't happen. Forget any verbal agreements. Inspection must be in written agreement.

Good luck.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

DMV Messiah
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by DMV Messiah »

Wow! I didn't expect such a generous response. Thanks a lot guys! I will definitely keep an eye out for multiple bikes instead of one then purchase something that might be better suited for us individually.

I had a question about a few more bikes though that you guys might be able to help me with ...

There is a great local deal on an '01 Suzuki Savage LS650. I sat on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 (pretty much the same bike, right?) and it felt pretty comfortable. The seat is certainly bit low, but I am reading that the bike should be pretty comfortable to ride on the highway, but also be something that my girlfriend could control.

I also wanted to see if I could pick everyone's brain a bit more about the Honda Rebel. The girl is really comfortable and a fan of one. Is it really going to be out of my range as someone who is 6 foot / 170 lbs? I seem to be reading a lot of mixed stuff on this online. And unfortunately none of the local shops will let me test ride one.

Thanks again everyone for your help with everything!
DMV

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#10 Unread post by havegunjoe »

Look at a Hyosung GV250 cruiser. My wife, 5'2", 125lbs. rides one and loves it. I'm not as tall as you but I can drive it easily too. She has no trouble riding the freeways at 65-70 too. We just picked up a second one off of Craigslist for under 2K. Brand new they are only in the mid 3K range so the price is right.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.