Markus
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2010 Harley Davidson Road King Classic

So far, not so good

#1 Unread post by Markus »

So I won a 2010 Road King Classic in a charity raffle, and decided I'd take a MSF class and learn how to ride. I completed the class over the weekend and did fairly well. I took the bike out to a school parking lot tonight and started to get a feel for it. Needless to say, I dropped the bike gently twice, and one time I ended up on the ground after giving it too much throttle when trying to turn right from a complete stop. I also didn't feel very comfortable with the bike in general since I only used a 250 during the class

Thankfully I'm not hurt, but my pride and ego are damaged. I've come to realize that it is way too much bike for me and plan on selling the bike. I posted this same thread on the Harley Fourms and everyone is telling me to keep the bike and get a smaller bike to learn on.

Now my question is, I'd still like a cruiser since I'm a bigger guy and not a fan of the sport bikes. Any suggestions or help on something that might suit me better, or should I keep the big bike and get a smaller one to practice on for a while? Thanks in advance for your help
A man that's not in a hurry and is prepared to take it one day at a time.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: So far, not so good

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

Okay,

I know I'm going to go out of the norm on this but I do not advocate the parking practice after getting your MSF. The only time you should practice after the MSF class is if you need it. How can you tell if you need it? Follow this set of guidelines based on what kind of rider you are.

#1 I really feel like I need to keep practicing - This person should keep practicing
#2 I am so awesome I probably didn't even need to take that class. Did you see how much better I was than everyone else?! - This person should keep practicing
#3 Riding still really terrifies me - This person should keep practicing for a few weeks and if the your still afraid seek help from more experienced riders.
#4 This one skill I have was really bad during the MSF course I NEED to work on that - This person should keep practicing this particular skill.
#4 I know I don't know everything but I'm not afraid just cautious - This person is okay to ride without parking lot practice.

Rhadam is a perfect example of this. He is a #4 but he convinced himself he was a #1 and he dropped his bike in a parking lot practicing. He is a very well balanced rider, he doesn't take a lot of risks, and he knows his skills. I don't know if he still is practicing in parking lots or not but I imagine since he's on his 3rd bike they are probably very large parking lots and filled with melted rubber from his burnouts and impressed people from him popping wheelies ;)

Dropping your bike in a parking lot while practicing is really frustrating and it can reinforce the idea you are a #1 when you really aren't. You feel like you can't leave until you MASTER this skill and that keeps you trapped in this cycle and you'll never enjoy riding.

I'm not going to tell you your bike is too big, or too small. Will it be easier to learn on a 250? Absolutely. They are much MUCH more forgiving should you grab too much throttle or brake or whatever. But don't sell that Road King if you love it. Hold onto it and you'll be riding it before you know trust me.

The question you have to ask yourself is "Why did I pull too hard on the throttle?"

Did you pull too hard because you were becoming bored practicing over and over and over? If so stop parking lot practicing. You're looking for something that isn't there.
Did you pull too hard because you were pushing your limits too hard? If so keep parking lot practicing so you don't hurt others.
Or did you not know you were going to pull too hard and it was an accident. If so keep parking lot practicing and perfect your skill.

Most importantly no matter who you listen too don't give up on yourself!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Not gonna write an essay on the subject, but here comes my advice.
Keep the bike (Yes, Wrider is saying to keep a HD, try not to have a heart attack lol)
Get a smaller one to practice on. Something like a 750/800 should suit you perfectly. I'm a bigger guy as well and learned on a 200 in class, then rode my 800 as my first bike. I've now ridden everything from Rebel 250s to Venture Royales, and the Volusia I had was a good mix of having power, weight, and cruiser handling, but not being too much in any of those categories for a beginner.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#4 Unread post by zeligman »

+1 to wrider - i also purchased and rode a VERY nice used suzuki volusia 800 (they are now named boulevard) and found it to be wonderful to learn on due to:

1) low to the ground - easier to maintain balance with the low center of gravity, if i ever wobbled and lost my balance i could literally just stand up.

2) incredibly forgiving with throttle issues - some exp riders say it's 'slow' to accelerate, but as my comfort level increased so did my abilities with the bike - getting on and off the hwy was NO problem with acceleration - and passing was a breeze.

3) not too much power to kill me, but more than enough for all the riding i was gonna do (and I'm bigger than wrider).

4) TONS of parts and quite a big community of suzuki volusia/boulevard riders to give great tech/mech support and advice over at www.volusiariders.com

5) just felt great. rode great. LOVED the bike.

6) found it used on Craigs list with some extras and in GREAT shape for less than 3k.

BUT, there are ppl on here who will tell you the same thing about hondas, yamahas, etc in the same engine size - 650 - 800 cc Lots of smart and experienced people here who's only agenda is to help you out! :)

ride safe

-Zeligman
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#5 Unread post by shane-o »

Markus wrote:So I won a 2010 Road King Classic in a charity raffle, and decided I'd take a MSF class and learn how to ride. I completed the class over the weekend and did fairly well. I took the bike out to a school parking lot tonight and started to get a feel for it. Needless to say, I dropped the bike gently twice, and one time I ended up on the ground after giving it too much throttle when trying to turn right from a complete stop.

Think ya being a bit hard on ya self, turning right or left from a complete stop is not the most natural thing to do nor an easy thing to do.

In fact, I rarely turn my bike immediately from a stop I usually get it upright and stable on 2 wheels before i turn it, now that distance may only be a few feet but none the less having ya bars turned then throttling on from a stop is an advanced skill I would have thought.

Having said that I tend to agree with the others, keep the bike and get ya self a cheap piece of junk to develop some useful skills

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

shane-o wrote:
Markus wrote:So I won a 2010 Road King Classic in a charity raffle, and decided I'd take a MSF class and learn how to ride. I completed the class over the weekend and did fairly well. I took the bike out to a school parking lot tonight and started to get a feel for it. Needless to say, I dropped the bike gently twice, and one time I ended up on the ground after giving it too much throttle when trying to turn right from a complete stop.
Think ya being a bit hard on ya self, turning right or left from a complete stop is not the most natural thing to do nor an easy thing to do.

In fact, I rarely turn my bike immediately from a stop I usually get it upright and stable on 2 wheels before i turn it, now that distance may only be a few feet but none the less having ya bars turned then throttling on from a stop is an advanced skill I would have thought.

Having said that I tend to agree with the others, keep the bike and get ya self a cheap piece of junk to develop some useful skills

Good point shane-o I didn't even read that. I almost never turn from a stop I almost always get some forward motion going first.

SHould I be able to turn right without doing that?
Should I be able to do figure 8s?

Sure.

How often do I use those skills? I can't remember the last time I did because I don't put myself in a situation where I have to turn from a stop. Or whatever kind of situation I would put myself in that would require me to do a figure 8.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

As you've discovered, a Road King is a LOT of motorcycle. It weighs over 800 pounds. What on the 250cc "Range Bike" you learned on, tipping over was no big deal. On the HD its an ordeal to get the monster upright again.

Its up to you, whether or not to sell the Harley, but I will suggest you look for a smaller, lighter, used machine to "practice on." When you're worried in the back of your head whether or not you are going to drop the bike >because of the monumental effort to pick it up again< you can't fully focus on tuning up those newly learned skills.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

ibswooft
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VTX 1800T, 2008 KTM 450 SXF

#8 Unread post by ibswooft »

I have been riding for 30 plus years. Still hate right hand turns from dead stop. Does not feel natural. My advice is to keep practicing. I still am! You will learn that when you quit learning, it is time to park it. Good luck and be safe.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Brackstone wrote:Okay,

I know I'm going to go out of the norm on this but I do not advocate the parking practice after getting your MSF. The only time you should practice after the MSF class is if you need it.
Are you saying no practice at all? I'd think at the very least you should get acquainted with your bike. If you had a nighthawk 250 in your MSF class with it's front disk brakes you could literally grab the brakes with no ill effect. Try transferring that skill onto even a ninja 250 and you've either stoppied or washed out the front end.

I feel at the very least you should practice to attenuate yourself to a different motorcycle. Each bike responds differently and it takes awhile to dial it in. Hell, even David Houghe (author of Proficient Motorcycling) can get into trouble on a bike he's unfamiliar with. Recently he totaled Lee Parks new Triumph. Someone with more than an iphone should be able to search that thread out at the BMW MOA forum.

To Markus,

I recommend buying or renting another bike to get used to that beast. You're still less out of pocket than the rest of us (you lucky charity raffle winning B...uddy) and it'll help you develop more as a rider. If you stick with the harley, I still encourage you to practice since you'd hate to drop it when out on the road. However, start with easier stuff first. Check out the exercises at the end of this document http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Riding_Tips.pdf . Try to only focus on one or two things tops at a time and you'll improve faster.

Good Luck
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

storysunfolding wrote:
Brackstone wrote:Okay,

I know I'm going to go out of the norm on this but I do not advocate the parking practice after getting your MSF. The only time you should practice after the MSF class is if you need it.
Are you saying no practice at all? I'd think at the very least you should get acquainted with your bike. If you had a nighthawk 250 in your MSF class with it's front disk brakes you could literally grab the brakes with no ill effect. Try transferring that skill onto even a ninja 250 and you've either stoppied or washed out the front end.
No no I don't mean no practice at all. I should clarify.

My Instructors said to me when I passed my class "Congratulation on your license. This certifies you to go ride in PARKING LOTS"(they put the emphasis not me). So what I think happens is a lot of people feel like they have this new bar set and until they reach it they are a hazard to the motorists, themselves, and/or any unfortunately pedestrians that happen to cross the path of said new rider on their horrible murder machine.

This makes it so some riders won't ride until they get everything PERFECT and whenever they make a mistake they feel like they have to start all over again. If you are like me practice like this: yYu stick to the least busy roads and just ride around. Go where you are supposed to/want to go but take the back roads. Practice stopping and turning from a stop when by taking a bunch of stops in a row. Take the extra 2 big turns and roll on your throttle. Etc. Etc.

Once you start getting some confidence you'll be surprised how much that improves your skill level. It's the same concept of look where you want to go. When people doubt themselves they make mistakes. When you look at the curb instead oft he corner your making a mistake.