First ride to bring my new (big) bike home ... advice?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

Rogero wrote:i've driven a 5 speed car for years, so I get the clutch thing - though I've read that can actually be a detriment to learning to shift on a motorcycle
That's because the act of shifting gears on a motorcycle is completely different from that of shifting gears in a car. Knowing how a clutch works doesn't help you one bit if all your experience to date has been with using your left foot on the clutch, your right foot on the throttle and your right hand on the gearshift. You now need to train your left hand to use the clutch, your left foot for the gearshift, your right foot for the brake and your right hand for the throttle. Not only that, but on a car you can skip gears if you want to and have to move your hand through a pattern to engage them. On a bike, you have a sequential shift transmission, which means you must go through all the gears - you can't skip any - and the lever only moves up or down to do so. Big difference in technique and in execution. Oh, and in a car you are taught not to slip or ride the clutch when getting underway, but on a bike you are taught to do the exact opposite. It's called the "friction zone" and you'll learn all about it on the CSC Gearing Up course.

A note to our American friends: motorcycle safety courses in Canada are taught through the Canada Safety Council (CSC), not the Motorcycle Safety Foundation MSF. The MSF got its start many years ago by copying the curriculum and format of the OSC (Ottawa Safety Council) rider training course, which was also the format used for the first CSC courses.

Aside from all this, I'm assuming you have your M1 license right now, which means you can't go on any of the 400 series highways and cannot ride after dark and before sunrise. So you are correct to plan your "Virgin" trek on secondary roads. Also, have you looked at insurance rates yet? You will find that successful completion of the CSC course will drmatically lower your rates, so if you haven't already you might want to notify your insurer that you will be taking the course.

Lastly, you list your location as Ottawa but say your bike is located 100 miles away. If that means the Kingston area, you are in good hands for the CSC course - I used to teach it at St Lawrence College and still know a lot of the instructors there. I might even be able to help you choose a good route from there to Ottawa, as I lived there for the last 10 years before moving to Durham last year.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Rogero
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 03/Harley/Deuce

#12 Unread post by Rogero »

yup - the ride will be Kingston to Ottawa, and I am taking the course at the college.

I have my M1, but I was a bit slow to take the test, so even after taking the course, can't get my M2 until the start of Aug.

Really like the suggestion of getting the bike into a parking lot and monkeying around to practice all the course ideas on the monster bike - and then when I feel comfortable to get out on the open road.

And I'll heed the advice. If I'm really freaking out - I'll stop, or do a u-turn and bring the bike back to Ktown to truck home

thanks for all the food for thought so far. still planning on the trek - but with more caution in the brain.

(reminds me of when i bought my first 5 speed. had never driven one - got a good deal so bought it. it was delivered to work - and i had to figure out how to drive it home. fun times!!)

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by koji52 »

Just be safe with it man. If you do not feel comfortable with the size and weight in a parking lot, I would really recommend you not ride it home. Hell, if you can trailer it, I wouldn't bother riding it on day one.

Just remember, a 2-3 hour trip is a pretty decent ride even for guys with a few months of experience. Don't underestimate how tiring riding can be. Direct contact with the sun, wind resistance, noise, heightened mental awareness, etc...It all comes into play while on the bike.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#14 Unread post by dean owens »

i'm not going to be a dissenting voice, but i will say it could be possible. i would never recommend it and think you could be setting yourself up for some trouble. but i'll share my experience.

i had no real riding experience except for the BRC. i passed it and went and got my license. the next day i got on my bike. i got a nice bike that is a very bad starter bike. it was a 1983 gl650 (honda silverwing touring bike). it was top heavy and over 650 lbs wet. when i first got on the bike i was scared out of my mind. it was a big bike and i couldn't believe i was getting ready to take it out on the road. once i finally got up the nerve to get on the road i had moments of complete joy and moments of fear. i ended up riding to a town about 30 miles away because i was afraid to turn.

that day i went about 150-200 miles just riding around. that was with a few breaks throughout the day. for me, i had no problem going fast. went on one road that had a speed limit of 70 and did fine. all bike weigh the same when you're going 40+ mph. but the slow stuff is what killed me. i dropped my bike twice that day doing slow stuff. and by the end of the day i was beat slam out my mind.

so i think it is possible. but you will be wore slam out. and i think you'll know when you finish the course if it's possible for you or not.

having said all that, i wish i wouldn't have had such a big heavy bike as my first bike. even though my current bike (fz6) has more power than the gl650, i feel like i'm just now getting some of my beginner skills down now. i know have a bike that is light enough that i'm not afraid of it falling on me when i'm practicing my u-turns. you might do wonderful on this bike. but i think you're cheating yourself by getting such a big bike for your first bike. good luck and make sure you let us know how it goes. i'm pulling for ya.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Velocity
Veteran
Veteran

Re: First ride to bring my new (big) bike home ... advice?

#15 Unread post by Velocity »

Rogero, first and foremost, good luck with the safety course and with your new bike and safe riding.

I bought my first bike a week ago. It was only about 15 miles away, but I had a more experienced rider ride it home for me. Most of the ride, I probably would have been OK, but at least part of the ride was in busy suburban traffic, and someone I know was killed riding there just about a year ago. At my level of experience (I took the safety course at the end of June), I didn't feel I was up to it, especially on a bike that was unfamiliar to me. My riding reflexes are just not that good at this point. I have had the same experience as Wrider with throttle surprises; not something I would want to have happen on a much heavier new-to-me bike in a busy area.

I know a 100 mile ride would be a lot for me at this point. Before I got the bike I bought, I looked at a bike that was about 150 miles away. I drove my pickup truck so that if I decided to buy it, I could load it in the back and drive home with it, not on it.

I don't know how much you're spending on the bike, but if you got a smoking deal, perhaps you can put some of the money you saved on the purchase price toward getting it home safely, then introduce yourself to riding it more gradually than a 100 mile ride home.

Whatever your decision, I wish you luck, and let us know how your course goes, what your ultimate decision is and how it works out for you.
Current ride: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#16 Unread post by zeligman »

just my nickel - im noobish too - took/passed BRC in early June, just bought my first bike, (2002 volusia 800), and had to travel about 20 miles to pick it up - except here, 20 miles included twisty back roads, highways, and serious traffic.

I spent the 27.95 to rent the uhaul trailer, and two cases of beer for my friend... best investment I ever made - got home safe, sound, and took it for my first ride around the neighborhood...wooot!

My friend, as excited as you are, that 100 miles isn't worth a potential wrecked bike, wrecked body, and defeated spirit.

Take a deep breath, take your time, and remember you have your whole life to ride - like they say here about bikes, it's your FIRST ride, not your LAST - keep it that way! :)

good luck, choose wisely.

-Z
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Toyuzu
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#17 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Well, you've got some good advice here. One thing I'll say - riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk. You have to know and understand what's involved before you can make that calculation though.

Some people in your position could make the ride with no problems, and want more after the first 100 miles. Others would drop the bike, and never ride again. Still others - and I feel most would fall into this category - would make it, but have a few close calls, maybe even drop it and get back on.

You know yourself better than any of us. If you feel you can do it - GO FOR IT. Safety is important, but if that's all any of us thought about, none of us would ever ride. You are making a good choice by taking the safety course first. That experience alone will really open your eyes to what you are getting into. There comes a time, though, when you just have to "fish or cut bait". I wish you the best, and enjoy your new bike! 8)
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#18 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I dunno man (or woman. I'm assuming a lot from the name Rogero), how much would renting a trailer cost? $100? Seems like a pretty cheap investment for peace of mind, undamaged gear, a lack of bruises (or worse), and a shiny new ride once you get home.

Anyway, if you push through with it, maybe you could try bringing it home at the crack of dawn on a Sunday. Still, it seems the risks of that 100 mile first ride far outweigh the benefits though. Dos centavos.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Greg .
Veteran
Veteran

#19 Unread post by Greg . »

I have decided that when I get mine, I will pick it up in my pickup truck.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#20 Unread post by havegunjoe »

One last thing about shifting. I found that all shifting gears on a car did for me was that I knew to use the sound of the engine to shift. However where you shift on a bike is different and each bike is different and it is something you learn after time. You are not giving yourself much time. Also if it's windy or do you have to start and stop on hills on the way back are all things to consider. Good luck.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.