New Rider

vtrrider
Rookie
Rookie

New Rider

#1 Unread post by vtrrider »

I found this website by accident the other day looking for something for my husband. I just recently got into riding thanks to my husband. I am 24 and hadnt ever rode a dirtbike had no clue how to shift. So my we bought a 87 DR125 for me to learn on last year. Well atleast to see if I could keep it upright. :D I had a heck of a time taking off with out popping the clutch. I did the first wheelie on it :shock:
Anyways this Feb we found a bike for me on craigs list and we got it. It is a 88 VTR250. And I love it !!! I spent over 2 months practicing in the parking lot at the local school. I have only got to ride it on the road 3 times now but have done pretty good. No great accidents, still need some more practice, but who doesnt :wink:

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#2 Unread post by Amdonim »

Welcome to 2 wheels!

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

#3 Unread post by wrecks »

:tricycle: Welcome!
cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#4 Unread post by dean owens »

welcome. i wish my wife road. but "sadly" i married a practical woman. she doesn't see the point in learning to ride when our kids are almost always with her at this stage in life. they're 1 & 3 this month. so maybe in a few years.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

vtrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by vtrrider »

I can understand that. We have no kids yet so I figured it was the best time to get a bike. If I had little kids it would be hard to find the time. Even without having kids sometimes its hard to find the time.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#6 Unread post by havegunjoe »

Welcome. You might consider a MSF riding course. My wife and I took ours last year. We started out on scooters and now both ride motorcycles and at least I love it. I think she does too or she is doing a good job of humoring me.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

vtrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by vtrrider »

I would like to take one of the classes but they are kind of expensive $250 to $375 and not very local. I know not an excuse. I want to take a class that i can take my bike tho because I want to practice on my bike.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#8 Unread post by Amdonim »

They won't let you use your own in the BRC unfortunately, but there is a more advanced course you can take after the BRC that does use your own bike. I haven't taken the advanced course myself, but you can always get practice from reading books then applying what you read in an empty parking lot.

vtrrider
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by vtrrider »

My husband has been helping me practice. He has a GS500F. For like two months every free night he would drive my bike to the parking lot. We bought cones and everything. We only live about 2 blocks from the school parking lot that we were using. :D He would set up stops for me to do and turns. I practiced stopping and going forever. I am sometimes a little to timid with the gas.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#10 Unread post by MZ33 »

The Ohio MSF will let you take it on your own bike provided that it is 500cc or less, insured & plated, and passes their TCLOCKS inspection. You also have to get their permission ahead of time.

Call the MSF place and find out if they'll do that for you.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]