Riding Gear in Hawaii???

cching
Rookie
Rookie

Riding Gear in Hawaii???

#1 Unread post by cching »

Hello all,

Just posted my intro and was wondering what kind of riding gear would do well in the heat of Hawaii?

It seems like most of the riders I've seen out and about on Oahu in the past are rarely wearing any gear. I only see about 50% of riders even wearing helmets... Whats up with that???

Anyways... I've got a nice GMAX helmet that fits snug. I followed the STICKY on Helmet Fitting so I'm pretty sure its a great fit.

I know for sure that I'll be wearing at least a Textile/Mesh Jacket, Helmet and Gloves at a minimum. Any experience with good brands/models would be most appreciated.

What do you guys think about wearing riding boots and pants in the Hawaiian heat? I think pants would be a good investment for the rain and longer rides... opinions???

Mahalo,

Colin

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Temperature doesn't effect how bad your road rash will be. If you aren't wearing gear, you stand a good chance of ending up sticking to sheets in a hospital - for a bit anyhow - if you go down.

I have to say that PANTS may actually be more important than a jacket... consider what part of you is closer to the ground? Feet and hands can get badly wrecked - all those delicate bones.

An idea worth considering: Olympia's MESH one piece oversuit, the Stealth. Retails for about $300. WORTH IT!!!

I commute (outside Baltimore - summers are STICKY!!) in a silver Stealth suit like the one pictured. It goes right over my regular clothes. The light color is great under the hot sun. I won't lie, it can get hot sitting in traffic (any gear will), but a few minutes of discomfort are forgotten once you're moving.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Riding Gear in Hawaii???

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Colin- I can't see that 98 degrees in Hawaii is any different from 98 degrees in New Jersey. I use mesh pants and mesh jacket - the mesh is somewhat abrasion resistant, and there is armor at the knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, and back. I always wear gloves - otherwise sweaty hands wouldn't let me keep a firm grip on the controls. As long as you're moving, it's suprisingly comfortable. Stopped at a red light on a hot summer day - I have to admit that sucks.

Highest forecast temp I found for today is 83 on Maui. Just sayin.... :whistling:
cching wrote:It seems like most of the riders I've seen out and about on Oahu in the past are rarely wearing any gear. I only see about 50% of riders even wearing helmets... Whats up with that???
Hawaiian asphalt is a special substance made from recycled pillows - it is very soft and cushiony when your head hits it. (If you believe this, I've got a bridge for sale ya gotta see......:lol:)

Seriously, Pennsylvania right across the river from me is a no-helmet-law state. In summer, about 80% of the cruiser riders don't wear a helmet..... I guess they got nothing worth protecting? :confused: Me, I like my brains where they're at: on the inside of my skull.

Good luck with your move to Ohau.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#4 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Like said before. You might get a little sweaty at a stop light but it feels sooo good once you get moving. Sweat and a 50 mph wind will cool you right off.

I live in Georgia and it gets fudgin' hot and humid. Kinda like walking through a nice hot bowl of sweat soup all day. I wore a textile jacket that was vented, light weight gloves and textile pants that were not vented and I was fine. Though a little venting in the pant would have been nice.

So yes full gear is doable (and smart) in the higher temps and humidity.

(Yes Mr. Stark, this primitive southern state is developed enough to have textile gear. We've moved on from wearing gorges on our heads and catfish skin for outer wear. :wink: )
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#5 Unread post by Nalian »

Mesh goes a long way, but when your'e talking truly hot hot hot weather, sometimes insulation + a cooling layer is best. They make vests you can pop in a freezer that I know some folks swear by that live in deserts and still wanna ride. I stick with mesh and a camelbak + regularly dumping water on myself around here. Keeping hydrated makes a huge difference!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

fireguzzi wrote:(Yes Mr. Stark, this primitive southern state is developed enough to have textile gear. We've moved on from wearing gorges on our heads and catfish skin for outer wear. :wink: )
Geeze, you made me wait a whole week for that..... :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#7 Unread post by fireguzzi »

jstark47 wrote:
fireguzzi wrote:(Yes Mr. Stark, this primitive southern state is developed enough to have textile gear. We've moved on from wearing gorges on our heads and catfish skin for outer wear. :wink: )
Geeze, you made me wait a whole week for that..... :mrgreen:
Man! you Yankees are hard to please. That was genius by Georgian standards. :laughing:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

cching
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by cching »

I really don't have any "squid coolness" issues with wearing full gear I'm just looking for some advice on gear since I'm a new rider.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be riding most days and using my bike as my primary mode of transpo... so gear seems to be a good idea eventhough it seems like most riders forgo gear for the most part...

Thanks again!!!

Batan
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: '82/Honda/CB750F

#9 Unread post by Batan »

cching wrote:I really don't have any "squid coolness" issues with wearing full gear I'm just looking for some advice on gear since I'm a new rider.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be riding most days and using my bike as my primary mode of transpo... so gear seems to be a good idea eventhough it seems like most riders forgo gear for the most part...

Thanks again!!!
I can add that it's actually very pleasant to be moving on your motorcycle while wearing mesh gear when it's hot outside. AND the gear blocks the sun.
'82 CB750F & '00 SV650S

Schmink
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by Schmink »

Nalian wrote:Mesh goes a long way, but when your'e talking truly hot hot hot weather, sometimes insulation + a cooling layer is best. They make vests you can pop in a freezer that I know some folks swear by that live in deserts and still wanna ride. I stick with mesh and a camelbak + regularly dumping water on myself around here. Keeping hydrated makes a huge difference!
I agree. I have a mesh jacket that I wear in the summer. If I happen to ride out into the desert, just pouring water on my mesh jacket keeps me very cool!!
Schmink
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom