Is 1200cc too much for a first time rider?

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Re: 650

#21 Unread post by Big B »

XB08 wrote:

Most 650s weight as much if not more then a 1200 sporty.
exactly, the power to weight ration of a 1200 sportster is way more than say a v-star 650. weight isn't going to get you so much as too much power will. a 1200 sportster is a bit much for a beginner. start small and start cheap.
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

Wrong wrong

#22 Unread post by XB08 »

I have being riding bikes since I was 9 , riding on the street since I was 17, I am now 48 . I see some post about new riding sould get and the 1200 sportster makes less power then them and Power won't get you kill it will save you. I see more riders get killed on small sportbikes then ever on harleys. In mose cases whay gets you killed is not the bike but the car that going to kill you. that lighter the bike the easier to more and if you have power you can get out of trouble . I tghink there a lot of self center people on here that needsa to take the heads out of there buts , I don't need people like you , Last post

Big B

#23 Unread post by Big B »

you may not, but beginning bikers are better off listening to people like me (and blues, shane-o, brackstone, everyone else on this thread who cautioned against it) then someone who suggests a light powerful bike as their first. i've got no desire to see any rider get turned into a grease spot, especially one who followed bad advise. look at all the threads with people asking about first bikes. 99% of the responses are similar to mine. i'm not trying to start a confrontation here, but calling me out with a widely unpopular opinion is probably not the best thing to do. people come on this website because it is a great source for research on motorcycling, and a great majority of its members care deeply about the sport of motorcycling, and offer their experience and judgement freely and wisely. throwing a snit because someone disagrees with you does not help things, especially when you are offering potentially dangerous advise.

peace,

Bryan
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#24 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Big B...... :thumbsup:

XB08..... :groan:
PS....Do you have spell checker?

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Wrong wrong

#25 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

XB08 wrote:I have being riding bikes since I was 9 , riding on the street since I was 17, I am now 48 . I see some post about new riding sould get and the 1200 sportster makes less power then them and Power won't get you kill it will save you. I see more riders get killed on small sportbikes then ever on harleys. In mose cases whay gets you killed is not the bike but the car that going to kill you. that lighter the bike the easier to more and if you have power you can get out of trouble . I tghink there a lot of self center people on here that needsa to take the heads out of there buts , I don't need people like you , Last post
Last post or not... a motorcycle that weights almost 600 lbs is a LOT of motorcycle for a woman that weighs just about 100 lbs. I've seen (and heard about and heard FROM) too many women who started out on their husband's sportster, or similar weight/size bike and either injured themselves, or scared themselves spitless trying to manage the weight. Sure a guy could probably manage to shake off a drop - part of the whole testosterone thing - but women generally don't want to face the prospect of dropping a 600 lb motorcycle.

Better to start out on something light and manageable to master the new skills. THEN move up to whatever you've been dreaming of.

>>Oh, and folks 45+ are the fastest growing single category of motorcycle fatalities in the USA.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#26 Unread post by HYPERR »

XB08 wrote:I see more riders get killed on small sportbikes then ever on harleys.
I don't know how many people you have seen killed on a small sportbike and how many you have seen killed on Harleys.....but the fact of the matter is, far more people get killed on Cruisers than small sportbikes. One of the main reason the average age of the rider killed keeps going up is due to the increase in the older first time riders being attracted to mega cruisers. This does not necessarily mean Harleys but all cruisers.....and bigger they are, statistically the higher chance of fatality.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#27 Unread post by HYPERR »

XB08 wrote: Power won't get you kill it will save you.
XB08 wrote: In mose cases that lighter the bike the easier to more and if you have power you can get out of trouble
Based on these two statements, it would be safe to assume that a 600cc racer replica would be the safest bikes out there and a Harley the most dangerous.....

Yet in the same post you state.....
XB08 wrote:I see more riders get killed on small sportbikes then ever on harleys.

:what?!:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

RC DAVE
Elite
Elite

BUELL

#28 Unread post by RC DAVE »

THEY USE THE BLAST HERE IN FL MY MOTHER INLAW TOOK THE CLASS THEY GAVE A GREAT DISCOUNT ON IT (HD) AND FULLPRICE TRADE TOWARDS NEW HD AT A LATER DATE NOT BAD IF YA LIKE HD. THE BLAST IS BASICALLY A HALF A 1000 REAR CYLINDER IS MOLDED OVER AND THE FRONT ONE IS THERE IT VIBES ALOT BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS
SEMPER FI
05 RC-51
06 800 bulevard
05 XR- fiddy
WISH I HAD A 1098

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#29 Unread post by shane-o »

XB08 wrote:I have being riding bikes since I was 9 , riding on the street since I was 17, I am now 48 . I see some post about new riding sould get and the 1200 sportster makes less power then them and Power won't get you kill it will save you. I see more riders get killed on small sportbikes then ever on harleys. In mose cases whay gets you killed is not the bike but the car that going to kill you. that lighter the bike the easier to more and if you have power you can get out of trouble . I tghink there a lot of self center people on here that needsa to take the heads out of there buts , I don't need people like you , Last post

very rarely bud, is the car at fault when riders are taken out.

Its the rider at fault, by that I mean, even if the car makes a mistake and hits the rider, WTF was the rider doing to adjust for the mistake of the car.

Its too fuking late when ya lay dying on the road after a car has a crossed that white line or run that red light to feel good about you being in the right and the car being in the wrong, it takes 2 people to not be looking at what they are doing to have an accident.

I ride with the thought "no one has seen me, and those who have are trying to kill me" when I ride I expect all cars to "donut" me over at a seconds notice, so its up to me to keep me alive, who cares if the car has wronged, its the rider who is responsible for their neck, no way would i trust cars to do the right thing 100% of the time to keep me alive, I want to control that, not them.

And as for your push on a 1200 being a good choice for a learner, pull ya head outa ya butt mate !!!! I agree most Harleys couldnt pull the skin off a rice custard, over priced peices of junk IMHO :) but sticking a learner on a 1200cc 300kilogram bike and casting em out into the traffic for the first time is just fuking krazy town.

Be told, geezuz !!!!

By the way, I got both my nipples pierced simultaneously, im probably the toughest person I know.

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#30 Unread post by Kal »

This would be why I don't come here much anymore...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman