I had my bike for 1 month and already dropped it.

BlackCowboy
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

I had my bike for 1 month and already dropped it.

#1 Unread post by BlackCowboy »

Is it normal to have dropped my bike with only having it for a month?
2003 Suzuki Marauder 800 vz

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: I had my bike for 1 month and already dropped it.

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

BlackCowboyRider wrote:Is it normal to have dropped my bike with only having it for a month?
It's not unusual. I dropped my first bike two months after I got it. That is why many recommend newbie riders buy a used bike as their first ride, preferably a light weight smaller one.

When you are first starting out, you are bound to make a mistake, usually something stupid or silly, such as forgetting to put your foot down when you come to a stop (guilty) or riding off and forgetting to put up your side stand (guilty) or some other silly error causing you to drop the bike. Don't let it get you down, most of us here have done it one time or another (more then once if we are honest). Best thing to do is learn from you mistake and carry on.
Always ask why.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#3 Unread post by JC Viper »

How bad was this drop? Are you hurt at all?

Don't sweat to much about it though if it wasn't too bad, mistakes happen and these things will usually teach us about what not to do or how to do something properly. Now your bike has some battle scars to it which adds character.

Within two weeks of having my first bike I got hit by a drunk driver and the bike hit the curb at a bad angle throwing the bike on the ground and me sliding. This taught me to keep an eye on my mirrors for anything suspicious. Then a few months later I went front first into a parking spot and missed the plastic bottle there and my front tire while braking caught it and slid the bike down at 5 mph, definitely taught me not to be cocky going into a spot.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

BlackCowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Is it normal to have dropped my bike with only having it for

#4 Unread post by BlackCowboy »

Thanks for the input. I was not hurt that bad, I hurt my ankle a bit. I was more embarassed than hurt. I think I started turnung without giving it gas. It knocked my mirror loose but I fixed it right up.
2003 Suzuki Marauder 800 vz

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#5 Unread post by RockBottom »

My first was after about a week (I was actually off of it at the time--had stalled and stupidly jumped off and tried to push it off the road). Second a couple weeks after that. Third a few months later during the MSF ERC

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I must've dropped mine within the first month or two; went down while practising u-turns in a parking lot. Them's the breaks. No real damage, except for a clutch that could easily be bent back into shape. And I figure the practise must've kept a potentially worse dump from happening somewhere along the line. Hopefully, your drop prevented something worse as well.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#7 Unread post by flynrider »

I dropped my bike about 10 min. after I hopped on it for the first time :laughing: Of course, those were the pre-MSF days when you taught yourself how to ride (the hard way).
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

obfg
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by obfg »

I discovered that rolling down a slight incline on wet grass and applying the front brake and making a sharp turn at the bottom of said inclline was unwise! I also discovered that going at walking pace and hitting the front brake hard was unwise. And further I discovered that parking and not setting the kick stand properly and subsequently tipping over, was inevitably done for the amusement of numerous non riding spectators.
Such are the adventures of this newby!

Philo
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

#9 Unread post by Philo »

I dropped mine 3 times in the first three months. Haven't dropped it in the two years since. Hang in there.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#10 Unread post by ofblong »

hmm 2.5 yearsish of riding and havent dropped it once. Jumped a deer landed and kept riding. never went down. With that said statistically you are more likely to drop it the first year of riding than any other time during your riding career. That DOES NOT mean you wont drop it say 20 or even 30 years of riding experience. My grandpa had 40 years of riding in and dropped his bike for the first time. course that was what made him decide he was to old to ride anymore :laughing: .
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]