I had my bike for 1 month and already dropped it.

Wolfey
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by Wolfey »

flynrider wrote:I dropped my bike about 10 min. after I hopped on it for the first time :laughing: Of course, those were the pre-MSF days when you taught yourself how to ride (the hard way).

:laughing:

I dropped it the first time I rode it, at a crowned part in the road. Went to put my left foot down, and didn't realize I couldn't reach the ground until the bike went over. At least, I think I put my foot down...? I didn't want my leg to get pinned, so I turned to the right as it was falling toward my left foot, and I sat down on the pavement (hard!!) and rolled backwards, lifting my legs into the air, pulling my leg out from under the bike as I rolled back. My tailbone still hurts, two weeks later.

Now, yesterday, I had what I consider to be my "first real ride", without a mishap. It was extremely windy and cold. If you're interested, I wrote about it in "A 'First Ride' I Will Never Forget" in this forum.

But I have no excuse, I took the MSF course. :laughing: I guess I'm still teaching myself, and will be for the rest of my life.
"Risk is essential. There is not growth of inspiration in staying within what is safe and comfortable. Once you find out what you do best, why not try something else? -- Alex Noble

======================
2002 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Classic
======================

Schmink
Regular
Regular

#22 Unread post by Schmink »

There are only 2 types of MC riders. . .

1. Those who have dropped their bike. . .
2. Those who have yet to drop their bike. . .

Most have dropped a bike somewhere in their learning experience. . .don't feel bad. . .it happens!
Schmink
2008 V-Star 1100 Custom

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#23 Unread post by ofblong »

Schmink wrote:There are only 2 types of MC riders. . .

1. Those who have dropped their bike. . .
2. Those who have yet to drop their bike. . .

Most have dropped a bike somewhere in their learning experience. . .don't feel bad. . .it happens!
I figure the day I drop my bike I will prob be too old to ride lol. Course nwo that I say that the moment the snow melts and I take the bike back out ill prob drop it as soon as I leave the driveway haha.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Chuck_theHammer
Rookie
Rookie

#24 Unread post by Chuck_theHammer »

first time, 83 Goldwing, kid stepped off a curb in front of me.
second time, 83 Goldwing, car ran red light, put bike down so not hit car.
third time 83 Goldwing, oil slick in rain 38 degrees 75 mph. engine hit redline and bike went backwards in less than 1 second, totaled bike.
4 years and 100,000 miles.
I loved that bike, I did not get hurt in any of these.

ONLY bike I ever dropped.
Chuck_the Hammer
2005 Honda VTX1800F Silver Tribal 22k *1972 Honda CB750 K2
1966 Honda CB77 Superhawk sold 1972 7.5k * 1972 Honda CB750 K2 sold 1975 21k
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing sold 1983 63k * 1983 Honda GL1100A sold 1987 102k
1983 Honda VF750F sold 1990 14k * 1988 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane sold 2003 19k
1986 Honda GL1200SEI sold 2005 130k * Total Miles 376,000

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#25 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Dropped my bike in a gravel parking lot. Foot slipped as i was getting off. Nothing hurt but my pride, especially when you cant pick it up by yourself cause your a light weight. :frusty:

UTRider
Veteran
Veteran

#26 Unread post by UTRider »

Wolfey wrote: I dropped it the first time I rode it, at a crowned part in the road. Went to put my left foot down, and didn't realize I couldn't reach the ground until the bike went over. At least, I think I put my foot down...? I didn't want my leg to get pinned, so I turned to the right as it was falling toward my left foot, and I sat down on the pavement (hard!!) and rolled backwards, lifting my legs into the air, pulling my leg out from under the bike as I rolled back. My tailbone still hurts, two weeks later.
After our weekend blizzard, the sun came out, melted all the roads, it went about 40 degrees. Don't have the heated anything . . . so I'm adjusting gloves and coat . . . they won't behave while I'm balancing the bike. Decide to put it on the kick stand so I can concentrate on coat and gloves issue. Oppps uuuuh forgot I put the kickstand UP. :frusty: :mrgreen: :laughing:
Wha . . . .Who me . . . Was him.
2004 Vulcan 800
1986 Interstate 1200 Sold

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#27 Unread post by shane-o »

Yep

Both me and my bike have spent some time lying on the ground :)

Has always been my fault !!!!

A stupid mistake is a mistake you dont learn from.

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#28 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Hey Cowboy I bet you feel better now!

My first month riding, I got the brake and clutch levers confused, so I just grabbed 'em both, hard. In sand.

Six years later, first day on the brand-new Concours, dropped it in the parking lot at broke up the fairing. Glad I got that out of the way early!

Wear your gear, to include good boots, every time you ride so getting hurt will not stop you from picking it up and riding it home!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

xdixiecratx
Veteran
Veteran

boom

#29 Unread post by xdixiecratx »

Been rideing for years, bought a new ride, a04 honda shadow, rode it home
and pulled in garage shut it off and stepped off it without puttin kick stand
down,BOOM.

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Re: boom

#30 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

xdixiecratx wrote: and pulled in garage shut it off and stepped off it without puttin kick stand
down,BOOM.
Sadly to say, I did the same thing. In my excitement about having a motorcycle that was finally MINE, I pulled up the driveway, sat there for a bit admiring my piece of junk, stepped off, smash. -sigh- Thankfully it was at night so no one saw. Well... no one has said anything, at least. :laughing:

I didn't feel too bad since it was already beat up, and the lower fairings were already removed. I was going to need to learn how to pick it up anyway... why not the first day?
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel