Good cruiser helmets?

monkeywright
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Good cruiser helmets?

#1 Unread post by monkeywright »

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a cruiser or naked bike in the next couple of weeks, so I'm busy helmet shopping now. I want something a little loud and noticeable (mostly for safety's sake). But most of the crazy designs I'm seeing look more appropriate for crotch rockets.

I'm leaning towards the Shoei multitec, but it seems kinda boring. Maybe I'll dress it up with a SkullSkin (skullskins.net)?

I wish the US sold Airoh helmets like the TR1...

Who rides cruisers here? What's on your head?
Boulevard C50T

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#2 Unread post by Thumper »

Any kind of bike I'm on, I have a full face helmet on (well, expcet for a pedal type bike, though I have considered it :lol: ) I like the Scorpion EXO 700, but it doesn't like me in return very much, and the Scorpion 1000 is nice (except for the weight and the fact that it, too, does not like my pointy head.) Right now I've got an Arai Profile, because it seems like the only one that fits.

The Spouse Thingy is wearing a Shoei RF-1000 and he really likes it. He's never complained about the fit, but secretly I think he likes it because it matches his bike :roll:

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

You could try a regular helmet and get one of those 'mohawk' things that attach to helmets. It's definitely noticeable...I actually saw someone wearing one of those once. I was disappointed that I didn't have a camera at the time :(

I also have a full face helmet (HJC CL-15). I now think it's a bit small or it just doesn't fit my head since after an hour and a half or so, my head starts to really hurt. I did try it on for half an hour in the store and during that time it was comfortable, but at about an hour or a bit more, it's painful. Definitely go to a store and try on a few helmets to find one that fits and wear it for a while to make sure it stays comfortable.

For my next one, I think I will get one with the flip shade part because it's a pain putting in the sunglasses(and my current stupid sunglasses are damaging my doo-rag thing everytime I use them).
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

monkeywright
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by monkeywright »

I could get a Mohawk thingie (they're only 15 bucks or so)... but would it look wrong on a cruiser? That's my main concern. I don't want to look like a rocket jockey who's on a loaner bike while his gixxer is in the shop...
Boulevard C50T

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#6 Unread post by dean owens »

i understand your "dilemma" because i guess i sorta had this same thinking at first. now, i really don't care what the image is. no matter what bike i'm on i'll always wear boots, a jacket, gloves and a full-faced helmet. and the helmet will be the one that fits first, looks cool second. and the bike i ride right now is not one i thought was cool at first. the only reason i'm riding it is because it was given to me. but now i love it. it's a "old man's" bike. so not only do i not have a cool cruiser but i'm always fully dressed up. but i wouldn't have it any other way. just find what you like and is safe and make your own style.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

monkeywright
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by monkeywright »

Gummiente wrote:How about one of these?... http://www.pittgens.de/index.php?cat=KA ... t=10100102
I can speed out to the airport and land some planes!
Boulevard C50T

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Good cruiser helmets?

#8 Unread post by zed »

monkeywright wrote:..., so I'm busy helmet shopping now. I want something a little loud and noticeable (mostly for safety's sake). But most of the crazy designs I'm seeing look more appropriate for crotch rockets.

I can't find the link but I remember reading an article on one of the online MC mags about helmet/jacket colour and visibility. The writer wrote that studies have shown that a solid bright colour is the most noticeable. He recommended a solid white or yellow helmet (his was orange) rather than a patterned helmet which sort of blends in with the background.
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#9 Unread post by ofblong »

I have the HJC AC-12 El Diablo helmet. I get strange looks but you know what id rather have a jaw should I go down.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#10 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I wear a black EXO-400 Scorpion. Fits my dome pretty well, price is reasonable and is DOT/Snell certified.

Here's my take on helmets. I think you can get a cool helmet. Or you can get a bright helmet. But not both. 8)