Strongly considering buying a new SV-650 (naked)

Motofiend
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Strongly considering buying a new SV-650 (naked)

#1 Unread post by Motofiend »

HI guys, its time for a new bike...

I live in Brooklyn, NY so the bike will be seeing alot of tight traffic with equal amounts of highway. I am not planning on taking many long distance trips but 1 or 2 this year is my goal.. i don't need to be ultra comfortable on the long trips I just want to be sure that I can do 500 miles in a day...
I am also hopping this bike will keep me excited for more than one season with its performance..

Main question is How much should I expect to pay for a New SV650 Naked...
I am talking about out the door price.

thanks in advance,

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

I picked up my '06 S50 for the MSRP OTD. I'd try for MSRP at most. I even went in armed with an invoice price and couldn't get them to go less. But, I figured OTD at MSRP wasn't bad since that included tax/title/license/setup/etc/etc/.

skoebl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by skoebl »

I got raped by interest and my inability to say no....but I would say a good price would be maybe $6500 or lower. The MSRP is $5999; so shoot for anything close to that.
SV650 K6 <---Suuper Awsome bike

[quote="V4underme"]
If I didn't feel like a monkey &*$%ing a football when I sat on a sporty, I'd probably own one.[/quote]

Motofiend
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Motofiend »

My friend just picked up a ninja 250 for $ 3500 out the door...
thats $500 over the MSRP..
So how could I expect to pay MSRP for a SV 650?

I don't mind haggling and saying no but I don't want to be one of those unreasonable people that expects the dealer not to make any money.. I just don't want to pay more than what a savvy consumer would have paid...

oh and since im considering the N over the S how much different will the N feel in windy conditions?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by KarateChick »

Canadian pricing, Cdn dealer but here goes. Sticker price/website price is $8500 here, add 6% tax for $9010. The guy at the shop said if I was interested in that bike (SV650, not S) it could be had for $8500 total before the season started... which I think in his mind was before the end of March.

I got a similar deal last year for the Ninja and I bought it at the end of April. (Stickered at $6300 + 7% tax - rate went down July 1 - made it $6741 but got it for $6300)
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#6 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Got my 650R for $6,800 OTD, $500 over as well. Not bad for a brand new model (bought it June 06).

So $500 isn't all too bad if that's as good as you can get.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by mgdavis »

FWIW, 500 miles in a day and you'll be walking funny. This probably holds true even for Goldwings and BMWs.

P.S.- That's just my opinion, never done anything close to a 500mi day. I would, however, love to have an SV 650.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by -Holiday »

mgdavis wrote:FWIW, 500 miles in a day and you'll be walking funny. This probably holds true even for Goldwings and BMWs.

P.S.- That's just my opinion, never done anything close to a 500mi day. I would, however, love to have an SV 650.
nah, 500 isnt bad. 700 on a sport bike, that kinda sucks but its still not as bad as you'd think.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Strongly considering buying a new SV-650 (naked)

#9 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Motofiend wrote:HI guys, its time for a new bike...

I live in Brooklyn, NY so the bike will be seeing alot of tight traffic with equal amounts of highway. I am not planning on taking many long distance trips but 1 or 2 this year is my goal.. i don't need to be ultra comfortable on the long trips I just want to be sure that I can do 500 miles in a day...I am also hopping this bike will keep me excited for more than one season with its performance..

thanks in advance,
Umm. On an SV650, unless you've got like a 25 inch inseam (which will mean you can't put your feet on the ground), the dreaded "SV butt" will get you. The pegs are pretty close to the seat so you end up riding with your heels about 4 inches from your butt. The hamstrings/butt muscles get quite painful after a couple hours of riding.

My dh had an SV as his second bike and we took quite a few long trips (I had a BMW 650) together. As the day wore on, he had to stop more frequently and stretch his legs.

However, it is a fantasic commuter, and you certainly could take longer trips on it. There is GOBS of aftermarket support out there for the SV's.

>>>500 miles in a day on a motorcycle is VERY aggressive for anyone. Motorcycling is far more stressing than driving a car. What is simply a long day in the car becomes a nightmare of epic proportions on two wheels. You are constantly scanning for danger, watching traffic, etc. etc. It wears you out FAST.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#10 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Are the pegs really that close? is that the naked or S model? I've seen a few people rig out Sv-650's for touring and they claim to have no trouble doing Iron butts on them.

I agree with LionLady though. Long distance on a bike takes some getting used to and isn't something to just embark on out of the blue.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars