New rider, new member

Ryannn
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

New rider, new member

#1 Unread post by Ryannn »

Well, I've actually been around for a little while.. didn't post much though.

Anyway, I've been really wanting to get my first bike for awhile and after much procrastination, I think I'm finally gonna do it this time. Naturally, I have a few questions.

I've read through the stickies and I've heard over and over that it's best to start off with something small. I've got a few issues with that. Due to my current budget, I'm going to have buy from a dealership and make monthly payments because it'd take me forever to save the money with all my bills. So I probably wouldn't be able to upgrade for a long time.. I know I'll get bored of 250cc real fast, so I'd prefer just to invest in something I'll be happy with for a longer period of time.

Now, I used to ride dirt bikes with an old friend a few years back so I already have experience with bikes already, however, I do realize street bikes have a lot more power and kick.. but just the fact that I already have experience with bikes, makes me feel like I'll pick up the needed skills quicker then most new riders and get bored of that little 250cc real fast.

I've been looking into bikes for a long time and I've had my eye on the GSXR for a long time. Quite frankly, I am afraid as hell to get that as my first bike, and I'll agree it's a terrible beginner bike.. but 250 is just too boring for me.

My question is, considering my experience, is there any kind of median between the Ninja 250 and GSXR? Something I'd be much happier with that wouldn't tear me up, but still give me some enjoyment? Anyone go through a similar experience as far as having some riding experience prior to purchasing their first bike? Ahh! Any help is greatly appreciated.. even if it's "suck it up, loser, get a ninja 250!"

-Ryan

edit: I should add that I am not TOTALLY opposed to the 250cc Ninja.
Last edited by Ryannn on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

Welcome to the forum. If you've been around a while you'd know that if you want a first bike bigger than a 250 but smaller than a 600 sportbike, you go for a 500.

You should take MSF and get going on your license if you're not already there. Since you have dirtbike experience, the controls should be easy to grasp.

I wouldn't completely count out a 250 as a first bike, it's not a child's toy. But buy what you want, its your choice. As for buying new, not a real smart idea since first bikes tend to be test dummies for the whole learning process. Again, if you've got experience this may not matter.

Read up on the newbie stickies and do a search for the Ninja 250/500, Suzuki 500 and the grey area bikes like the SVs.

ninja79
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by ninja79 »

ninja 500

Ryannn
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Ryannn »

I mainly want something with more punch then the 250cc but definately less then the GSXR. As much as I love bikes, my knowledge of them is not all there. I don't know what is out there, or what is good for this or that. I'll check out those that you've mentioned.

I agree, buying new is not the best way to go, but I just can't afford to drop a couple grand on a used bike. I mean, I can go to a used motorcycle dealership and do the same deal, as well I believe. I really just need to make payments on it with my current financial situation. That all leads to me wanting to get something I'll be happy with for awhile because it'll be my bike for a looooooong time.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: Oh and I totally forgot to ask.. I was told that you do not have to pay insurance on a bike in my state (Florida). Is this true?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Suzuki GS500 e or f, that's the 500, standard version of the GSXR. Not sure of his username, but someone here on the forums lives in Albuquerque and has one, has been riding it instead of having a car, his dream is also a GSXR. He says it rides well, so definitely look into that.
Wrider
PS, Nice to meet a fellow Ryan!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

sv 650 and kawasaki ninja 650 are very calm twins (sv a vtwin, ninja inline twin).

They aren't balls to the wall but they are grey beginners bikes (how competent are you and be fair to yourself because injuries/damage from crashes can get expensive)

Now about outgrowing the ninja 250. My cousin started on a 250. He dropped it, banged it up and managed to sell it for $100 less than he bought it for a year later. What did he replace it with? A new ninja 250. $4k out the door with all teh gear you need. He loves the ride, rides it hard and can probably spank most of us when it comes to bike handling

of course with college graduation coming he's wanting the buell firebolt
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#7 Unread post by Shiv »

Edit: Oh and I totally forgot to ask.. I was told that you do not have to pay insurance on a bike in my state (Florida). Is this true?
No idea about that but, really, would you want to ride without insurance?
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

Shiv wrote:
No idea about that but, really, would you want to ride without insurance?
No kidding. You want to buy a new bike so you can "afford" it but you want to ride without insurance. The first time you drop it real good and the bike is totaled out, you my friend owe the finance co the rest of the money out of pocket. So you'll be paying for a bike you don't even have anymore.

Do yourself a favor and save some money for insurance and the bike. Saving isn't easy but its a lot easier to not be paying for it in the bad way.

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#9 Unread post by Kal »

As I understand it if you finance it from a dealer then you'll have to have insurance to protect their investment.

As for bored on a 250 well... thats a whole can of worms but I am putting a 250 on the road in the hopes that I can keep my speed down to something that won't lose me my licence...

Lets just say I have major problems with people saying that they will get bored of a 250...

What I'd recomend would be to get your hands on a USED 250 or 500 and run the wheels off of it for a season or two before selling it on for pretty much what you bought it for...

Have fun, ride smart and welcome...
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by safety-boy »

ninja79 wrote:ninja 500
+1

I went from a 636 Ninja back to a 500-R (636 was stolen :crybaby:) and while the power is significantly less, it is a good, solid bike that is fun to ride. Hits 100MPH with throttle left. Or, if you like cruisers, go with the Vulcan 500 Ltd. Same engine. Good bike.

--Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)