Is this leather jacket okay?

Koss
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Koss »

logitech104 wrote:
brentw wrote:By the way, what is "crumb" slang for?
The site's censorbot changes the word c.r.a.p into "crumb".
try to write out the word "nrop" backwards. :mrgreen:

anyway, +1 on the going to a store and trying on a jacket. You don't know how anything will fit from the internet. But clothing is made for the human shaped body, so i guess it wouldn't hurt to buy it from the internet and still be able to exange it.
+1 on both accounts.

Try on alot of different jackets at various motorcycle stores in your area. The more, the better. It should give you a better idea of what you are looking for in a jacket. Where you want pockets, or vents, or zippers, or straps, or armor... full leather jacket, textile, textile mesh, textile and leather combo jacket... etc.

And just because you are trying stuff on at the local stores dosn't mean you have to buy it from them. If you find a jacket that you absolutely want... just search for some better prices online in the size you like.

Going back to what she was saying, motorcycle gear is tailored to fit the body more so than fashion clothing. Sometimes the tailoring differs for different riding styles. The position of a cruiser, standard, and race replica sport bike are different. Just go with what you ride for the best fit. Another plus for trying things on at a local shop is that you can hop on a bike to see how it will feel.

I would rather shop at an online retailer that is a dealer of various companies rather than buy directly from someone that makes their own stuff for discount prices. Unless the company really did make quality stuff. Ive heard alot of bad reactions to leather up.

Some good stores ive had great experiences with and super low prices i'd never find in town have been with motorcycle-superstore, newenough, and dennis kirk. I got my 300 dollar jacket for 89 dollars from new enough. Just gotta look around!
http://www.livevideo.com/Koss

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#12 Unread post by t_bonee »

Should be fine. I've got a similar leather jacket that is very nice. As long has it is top or full grain leather you are good. Unless you want armor. I don't use it personally, but it is a personal choice.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

logitech104
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by logitech104 »

Sevulturus wrote:Actually mine started with "s"
:laughing:
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/logitech104/fairyhugsig.jpg[/img]
[1981 honda cb400t hawk][2004 honda crf150f]

WARainMan
Veteran
Veteran

#14 Unread post by WARainMan »

While I have never ordered anything from Leatherup myself, a friend of mine has purchased several jackets from them for both he and his wife. He likes them alot (price, service, etc.). He said they are good to work with if you need to return anything for a different size, etc.

For what it's worth.
2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 Limited (SOLD, to buy a...)
2007 V-Strom DL-1000

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#15 Unread post by Shorts »

If you like it, buy it. You don't necessarily have to get to a store to try stuff on if the company your dealing with from a distance is good about return service. DH and I both ordered from Fox Creek as we sat here on our couch in Japan. FCL was more than willing to give us great service, especially on any returns in case they didn't workout.

If you are nears stores, definitely go in. At the very least, find b rands and sizes you awnt, then go online and order the same for cheaper.

Demon-Driver
Regular
Regular

Re: Is this leather jacket okay?

#16 Unread post by Demon-Driver »

brentw wrote:I've been eyeing this leather jacket: http://www.leatherup.com/product.asp?pf ... r%2DJacket

I really like the apperance and it does look like a quality jacket.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Also, if I posted this thread in the wrong forum please move it. Thanks.
I agree that buying jacket and not trying it is a bad idea. But as for me personally, here in my city Cherkasy in Ukraine we do not have specialized biker shops with really good quality of clothes and accessories. So, I had nothing to do but to buy everything by catalogue Louis: 2 helmets, gloves, shoes, rain suit, moto accessories. The only thing I bought trying is my jacket - I bought it in the USA, KC in summer, 2005.

For sure, if you have a possibility, first try everything, than buy something really suitable for you and your style. And don't forget about safety!!!

Good luck!!!
LOVE DEMONIC DRIVING!!!

brentw
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by brentw »

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions.

rhd
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#18 Unread post by rhd »

I have LeatherUps "Defiant Men's Black Padded Biker Jacket with Mesh"

It is a great jacket. Superbly made and excellent leather. Easily equal to anything selling for 3 times the price. So your choice is also a bargain.

I've also found this company's customer service to be among the best I've ever seen. No problems with returns.

The only caveat is that I think the sizes run small - so my recommendation would be to buy one size larger than you think is your size.

About "armor" while I understand, and appreciate the concept - but it makes me nervous - what I've seen can restrict movement, and a bit of armor that gets shoved into the wrong place in a crash could cause exactly the damage it is supposed prevent.

Don't hesitate on that jacket choice - in my opinion
1984 Nighthawk 650SC

1991 Nighthawk 250