Using kickstand as the kill switch...

Shiv
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

Using kickstand as the kill switch...

#1 Unread post by Shiv »

Since some bikes turn off when you have the kickstand down, would it be alright to use that as a kill switch? So that yolu never forget to put down the kickstand (and ya'll know that it happens).

Do you think it'd do any damage to the bike to not use the kill switch?
Have fun on the open /¦\

There's more to this site than just the message board.
www.totalmotorcycle.com

I know, I was surprised too.

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#2 Unread post by Mintbread »

I never, repeat never use my killswitch. If I am stopping I will generally use the stand to stop the engine but will occasionally turn it off via the ignition switch.

No harm will come of not using the killswitch and the bonus is you will never be embarrassed by trying to start your bike with it in the off position and sit there wondering why it won't go.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

spinner
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by spinner »

The kickstand on most bikes is just a relay that's wired in series with anything else that can shut off the bike. No harm done =)
.:2006 GSX-R 600:.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/cspinner/65f4a1ec5a001a02396ac2d1baa8e31a.jpg[/img]

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#4 Unread post by t_bonee »

I always use the sidestand to kill the engine. Never use the kill switch. In fact a couple weeks ago, Loonette and I were getting ready to go on a ride and my bike wouldn't start. About five minutes of panic later, I realized that the kill switch was on. The Zootech had ridden my bike last after we did some work on it and used the kill switch to turn it off. Seeing as I never use it, it was the last thing I thought to look at. :oops:
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

DieMonkeys
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2015/Kawasaki/Versys 650 LT

#5 Unread post by DieMonkeys »

Mintbread wrote:I never, repeat never use my killswitch. If I am stopping I will generally use the stand to stop the engine but will occasionally turn it off via the ignition switch.

No harm will come of not using the killswitch and the bonus is you will never be embarrassed by trying to start your bike with it in the off position and sit there wondering why it won't go.
Strange, the MSF course taught us to always use the killswitch when you plan on parking, so that you don't accidentally let out on the clutch while the engine may still have a sputter in it that may send it flying into the store window.

And yes, the engine can still run after the ignition is off and the key is out. The forklift I drive at work does it almost every time I cut it off. (Don't think it will with EFI though, it's an old carb driven forklift).
[img]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/8/c/f/8cfad8ebc281805945b49541a1f00d48.gif[/img]
1980 Suzuki GS550E "Miranda" (Retired)
1986 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC "Valarie"

oldschoolorange
Legendary
Legendary

#6 Unread post by oldschoolorange »

I need to get a new KS when I have the ambition to put it on. Mine broke a couple of weeks ago as it is old and the contacts are shot so I just soldered the wires togeather lol
83 GS550, 70 Yamaha CT1 175

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#7 Unread post by Nalian »

Out of curiousity - why wouldn't you want to use the killswitch?

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#8 Unread post by Mintbread »

For the reason pointed out twice in the thread already.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by 9000white »

why not just turn the key off like on everything else.i have done this for 50 years and i have never had any problems.
dr bob

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

1) You might forget to turn it back on before you start the bike.

2) It might break.

3) Using the kickstand instead means you'll never drop your bike cause you forgot to put it down.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]