Jordie Mack
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph Street Triple

Scary phenomenon

#1 Unread post by Jordie Mack »

I had this scary phenomenon happen to me twice now. Once 3 or 4 years back and again this past Monday. I am not a novice rider (at least chronologically) as I have 25 years plus experience. I’ve got a fair amount of track days and track day training under my belt. I’ve also gone through the Code Superbike School twice. I submit not out of bravado but more merely as background.

As I mentioned there was a situation 3 or 4 years back where I was heading out for a ride. I came to a stop sign (still in my neighborhood) and bobbled a bit. I wasn't paying attention and put my left foot down too early. I was probably at 2 mph at the time. It unsettled the bike a bit. Nothing close to a drop but took me by surprise. For the remainder of the ride anything slow speed (u-turns, stop signs, stoplights, right turn) I could have just as easily dropped the bike as not. For the record, I did not but I was amazed that after decades of riding my skill set seemed to have suddenly abandoned me. I pressed on for a while thinking what weirdness was happening would pass. It simply did not. Every stoplight was an adventure. I was analyzing everything searching for a reason that I was, essentially, losing my balance. I finally tucked my tail between my legs and went home early. In the spirit of ”getting back on the horse” I went out the next morning without the slightest hint of the problem and it’s remained that way...until Monday.

Same thing Monday. Every slow maneuver was a circus. I stalled the bike. I haven’t stalled a bike in 25 years. I dropped out of the ride and headed home. Same as the last encounter years before I went out again yesterday and had a spirited ride in the canyons with absolutely no hint of this weirdness.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this pretty weird psychological event?

catster
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: KTM 500 EXC-F.

Re: Scary phenomenon

#2 Unread post by catster »

I didn't, but it really sounds scary.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

Sounds like the onset of a medical condition, perhaps vertigo, or low blood pressure, or maybe you need glasses or a new prescription.

Jordie Mack
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: Triumph Street Triple

#4 Unread post by Jordie Mack »

ZooTech wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 am Sounds like the onset of a medical condition, perhaps vertigo, or low blood pressure, or maybe you need glasses or a new prescription.
Yep I spoke to one of my old track day instructors and he suggested a possible issue with dehydration. That makes some sense since I’m sure I only had a cup of coffee before heading out. I definitely don’t have a vision situation. Certainly could be a blood pressure problem, I’ll have that checked.

In the end, I think it's psychological. Both instances involved a minor bobble leaving the neighborhood (actually last week in the alley behind the house where the garage is) and from there something just gets into my head. It’s only happened twice in many years so I’ll carry on and monitor. Just was wondering if any other veteran riders have experienced this oddity.

Miles_Ha11
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2016 Ducati Supersport

#5 Unread post by Miles_Ha11 »

That is pretty scary, be extra careful the next time.

WaterLemon
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: BMW

#6 Unread post by WaterLemon »

Jordie Mack wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 am
ZooTech wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 am Sounds like the onset of a medical condition, perhaps vertigo, or low blood pressure, or maybe you need glasses or a new prescription.
Yep I spoke to one of my old track day instructors and he suggested a possible issue with dehydration. That makes some sense since I’m sure I only had a cup of coffee before heading out. I definitely don’t have a vision situation. Certainly could be a blood pressure problem, I’ll have that checked.

In the end, I think it's psychological. Both instances involved a minor bobble leaving the neighborhood (actually last week in the alley behind the house where the garage is) and from there something just gets into my head. It’s only happened twice in many years so I’ll carry on and monitor. Just was wondering if any other veteran riders have experienced this oddity.
Great post. It was much needed. Love your simplistic style of explanation. :)