Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

Oh, Dear Maude... Help me!!!

#1 Unread post by Loonette »

So some of you remember me... me and my Meanstreak. I think I'm losing my mind - am considering trading in my '06 Meanstreak for this adorable '82 Suzuki GS1100. It's in great-looking condition, but I haven't ridden it yet. $3000 (US). I know I can get at least $5-6000 for the Meanie. I wish that I could have both, but that's not an option. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Oh, Dear Maude... Help me!!!

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

My $0.02...

I can't see going from a 2006 to a 1982 -- you may be paying in full for the bike, but you'll be borrowing some high interest trouble. Unless it's in scary-good condition, like, maybe it was drained of all fluids in 1983 and then vacuum sealed...

Of course, take my vote with a grain of salt -- I spent all last summer wrenching on my '84 Magna, and after those headaches I'll never again buy a bike that can buy liquor. (-:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Well, it'll have a smoother engine, but carbs of that age are a bit of a pain to deal with. As far as the price, 2500 is the highest I'd pay for it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, I love classic naked bikes! I've been quite motivated to by a GS1000E once and did buy a 1978 GS550E, but to be honest, I would avoid the early 80's Suzuki's. While the GS engines are absolutely bullet proof (amazing engines) the electronics, wiring, relay's, etc that Suzuki used in that era were a HORROR story.

My GS550E was $350 and the GS1000E I was looking at was $1100. (back in 2002 though). That would make them a 20+ years old, but now, we are talking 30+ years old... As much as I love the 80's UMJ, I wouldn't give up a 2006 bike for one.

Have you considered a newer UMJ like the Bandit 1250 or 1200? (same engine as used in the GS1100 just upgraded), or FZ1 or the ZRX1100/ZRX1200 or even a CB900F or CB919?

Actually, you might find this really enjoying of a read as I talk about a lot of the old bikes here:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/modelhistorytimelines/

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#5 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Get it if you can but don't trade the mean streak for it. You will regret it. You have a reliable machine and old bikes can turn into money pits real quick. Get it and ride the hell out of it if you can but don't go backwards and trade the meanie. Go forward and get it as a second bike.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

Thanks for the input, guys. Funny, Mike - the only other bike that has caught my eye in the past few years has been the Bandit 1250R. Super sweet! I sat on the GS again today, and I'm still contemplating, but I gotta admit... it's hard to imagine giving up the relatively maintenance-free life I've had with the Mean Streak. I'm leaning more toward NOT making the move at this time. If only I had oodles of disposable cash...

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600