tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

Bluetooth voice control of smart phone?

#1 Unread post by tymanthius »

So, I have a Scala G4. Love it. However, I don't have a reliable way to get it to read out text messages, or caller ID info from my phone. I won't answer the phone blindly, but I'd like to be able to answer if my wife calls (esp. as she's pregnant right now :)), or hear what text she sent so that I don't get home and realize she wanted me to run an errand.

Here's what I'm working with:

A Samsung Nexus, rooted, running AOKP's Milestone 6 ROM. And the Scala G4.

Something I've noticed with the G4 is that if I'm using it w/ the nav system on my phone, the nav system will start talking, then the G4 will kick in, so I never hear the first few syllables (a word or two) of the nav system. The way I 'fix' this is to stream music, then I can hear the Nav audio full length as the G4 never goes to sleep.

I found "Blue Control" on the google play store, and it seemed awesome, but the developer stated it won't work on rooted devices, and he has no near future plans to do so.

So . . . Anyone have any success with hearing voice caller ID & text message read outs over their G4's?
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Bluetooth voice control of smart phone?

#2 Unread post by Meanie »

Isn't text message read a feature from the phone? I can get all voice prompts and command through my iPhone and Q2 set as I assume it's due to the phone. I'm uncertain of the G4 features, but I cannot see how the G4 would be able to provide and/or override a feature not built with the phone.

Have you seen the new G9? Looks good. I may take the plunge and buy one.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

I ride a bike to get away from the phone.

:humm:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

This might be sort of a lateral solution, but since you're on Android, maybe you can consider Sony's phone watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP1QKFUuBPM

It displays the names of people who text or call you. Clip it near your bike's gauges (or even better, your windshield if you've got one), and you'll know if something's important enough for you to pull over and call back.

You can also use it to read text messages and email, but I wouldn't use that function on a bike for obvious reasons.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#5 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I have a set of plug-in headphones for my iPhone that let calls ring through. I suppose I could answer, but that seems to be a really bad idea. If you set her number to a custom tone you'll know it's her calling, at least. It even interrupts the music I'm listening to.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

You can do like I do and put the phone in a clear pocket of a tank bag. That way it'll show you who's calling and you can decide to answer or not.

I run into the problem of having the Scala Q2 and not the Q2 Pro. It lets me listen to the radio, talk on the phone, and communicate with other riders, but I can't listen to music on the phone, and if I connect the headphone jack to the phone, then when it rings through I can't answer due to the fact that the headphone jack takes precedence.

The other problem I run into is that my buddy has the Q2 Pro and it connects with his completely randomly. We'll ride for 20 miles, and when we turn the bikes off, and are pulling off our helmets, it'll connect. Or it'll connect before we set off, then randomly disconnect a half mile later.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

tymanthius
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by tymanthius »

MmeMagpie wrote:I have a set of plug-in headphones for my iPhone that let calls ring through. I suppose I could answer, but that seems to be a really bad idea. If you set her number to a custom tone you'll know it's her calling, at least. It even interrupts the music I'm listening to.
While not a bad idea, it sort of defeats the purpose of having the scala. Sadly, the Scala only seems to have 1 ring sound.
Wrider wrote:You can do like I do and put the phone in a clear pocket of a tank bag. That way it'll show you who's calling and you can decide to answer or not.
I have used this, but my clear pocket isn't as rain proof as I'd like, so often my phone ends up in my Givi trunk.
Grey Thumper wrote:This might be sort of a lateral solution, but since you're on Android, maybe you can consider Sony's phone watch.
Hadn't thought of that. May look into it. Still not what I WANT, and as I'm a tech, I get grumpy when my devices don't do exactly what I tell them to. lol

Meanie wrote:Isn't text message read a feature from the phone? I can get all voice prompts and command through my iPhone and Q2 set as I assume it's due to the phone. I'm uncertain of the G4 features, but I cannot see how the G4 would be able to provide and/or override a feature not built with the phone.
You know, I'm not sure. I'll have to look at the features of my text app (it's called Chomp). Doesn't solve the caller ID function, but would be halfway there.

I haven't looked at the G9 yet. And, well, I'm not going to spend that much money again, unless it does some REALLY cool things, like listens to my baby monitor or gives me a HUD. :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I knew this was a tough one.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

tymanthius wrote: I have used this, but my clear pocket isn't as rain proof as I'd like, so often my phone ends up in my Givi trunk.
Plastic sandwich bag inside the clear pocket.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

tymanthius wrote:So, I have a Scala G4. Love it. However, I don't have a reliable way to get it to read out text messages, or caller ID info from my phone. I won't answer the phone blindly, but I'd like to be able to answer if my wife calls (esp. as she's pregnant right now :)), or hear what text she sent so that I don't get home and realize she wanted me to run an errand.

Something I've noticed with the G4 is that if I'm using it w/ the nav system on my phone, the nav system will start talking, then the G4 will kick in, so I never hear the first few syllables (a word or two) of the nav system. The way I 'fix' this is to stream music, then I can hear the Nav audio full length as the G4 never goes to sleep.

That's really strange, have you used another bluetooth headset to see if it happens on Just your Scala G4? I have a bluetooth headset (and a Scala G4) . I haven't tried GPS with my Scala but when I use another bluetooth device it doesn't cut out the first few bits of audio with GPS at all and I don't have to stream music to do it. I have a Droid X.

Also have you updated the Scala G4 firmware?
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

tymanthius
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by tymanthius »

Brackstone wrote:
tymanthius wrote:So, I have a Scala G4. Love it. However, I don't have a reliable way to get it to read out text messages, or caller ID info from my phone. I won't answer the phone blindly, but I'd like to be able to answer if my wife calls (esp. as she's pregnant right now :)), or hear what text she sent so that I don't get home and realize she wanted me to run an errand.

That's really strange, have you used another bluetooth headset to see if it happens on Just your Scala G4? I have a bluetooth headset (and a Scala G4) . I haven't tried GPS with my Scala but when I use another bluetooth device it doesn't cut out the first few bits of audio with GPS at all and I don't have to stream music to do it. I have a Droid X.

Also have you updated the Scala G4 firmware?
Have not tried a different BT device. Generally I hate BT ear pieces.

Hadn't even thought of seeing about G4 firmware updates. D'oh!!

And come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure I've actually tested gps w/ my Nexus. I KNOW it functioned that way w/ my old X. But now that I'm thinking about it more, I can't say for sure if I've actually used GPS w/ the Nexus. Must test soon.