mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

In Your Face

#1 Unread post by mogster »

We have all had different things hit us whilst riding.

The first time a bee hit my face with an open visor was quite a surprise.

The strangest event tho was when I was hit in the face by a young bat! Luckily I was riding pillion at the time as it really hurt! At first I thoight it had been a small branch from overhanging trees. When I went to pick it up from my lap it felt wriggly.........it then flew off & hope fully switched it's radar back on!

Very odd as I thought bats didnakt hit anything, we were going slowly too.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: In Your Face

#2 Unread post by agraebner »

I had a TURKEY fly from one tree across the road in front of me I ducked as low as i could but it still tapped my helmet. WEAR A HELMET.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

#3 Unread post by Hondagirl »

Nothing close to bats or turkeys, only insects so far...but the other day a gust of fog that totally blinded me. It came around the corner riding home in the semi dark like a monsters breath in my face..completely engulfed me..i just slowed down..luckily had recently checked mirrors so knew nothing behind and if it had lasted any longer I'd have pulled over. It was very scary though.
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Bug hits in the face I have had many off, one wasp nailed my eye glasses when I had my visor up on a hot day and it curled underneith the lens and stung my on the lower eye lid, made for an interesting panic stop. But worst was having a sheet of plywood fly off the back of a pick up truck when I first start riding years ago and go sailing over my head.....needed to change my knickers after that one.
Always ask why.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#5 Unread post by Nalian »

I was hit in the chest with a chunk of drywall that flew off of a work truck in front of me - at 55 that was really less than pleasant.

Even though the drywall hurt more, the indignity of being hit in the chest with a lit cigarette from the car next to me was a lot worse. The dead-zone made by my windshield allowed it to land right on top of my gas tank after the bounce off my chest, too..

a_hippie
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1985 1100 Shadow

#6 Unread post by a_hippie »

Wow mogster:

That story "hits home" for me too. A few months ago, riding from a buddies house after sunset, I seen something out of the far edge of my vision, could have sworn it was a club! I was hit in the shoulder/chest. I thought some B#strd was trying to blind-side me on the corner so I hit the binders and parked the bike and made ready to fight. I couldn't find anyone though. . . Then, after a search of the side of the road, realized no human could pass through the blackberry vines without being ripped to shreds. shrug, as I walked back to my bike, I seen something very odd in the roadway--looked like a hoof of a deer/cow. I thought some jerk didn't pack garbage well on the way to dump and gave it a kick to get it off the road and it MOVED!

Like you, I was hit not by a bat but by an owl. Bugger, it was hurt and my kicking it couldn't have helped it either!

After I got things figured out, I reached out and picked the little thing up. His eyes were tightly closed until it got near my face for a closer look. He opened those HUGE amazing eyes and made a little ticking sound, then closed his eyes again. I'll never forget those talons clamped to my finger! It was really cold and I knew he couldn't last long now that I nearly wacked him TWICE over. I opened my gear and tucked him inside the suit, still holding him in my warm hand, hoping it wasn't too late for 'em.

Will, long story short, my buddy met me on the side of the dark, cold road with a box and we were able to get him to a rescue center. He lived and was able to be released.

Those eyes were amazin' though.

http://youtu.be/5ExcIJ5YavU

regards,
Wishing you my best

1985 Honda Shadow VT-1100

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

Near misses: several deer, raccoons, moose, dogs, cats, porcupines, turtles, a blue heron, wild turkey and many, many cars and trucks.

Hits: several small birds, a bunny rabbit, skunk, a few squirrels/chipmunks, countless numbers of bigass Junebugs and an '82 Fiat.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

Gummiente wrote:Near misses: several deer, raccoons, moose, dogs, cats, porcupines, turtles, a blue heron, wild turkey and many, many cars and trucks.

Hits: several small birds, a bunny rabbit, skunk, a few squirrels/chipmunks, countless numbers of bigass Junebugs and an '82 Fiat.
I bet the Fiat splattered better than the Junebugs :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

Brackstone wrote:I bet the Fiat splattered better than the Junebugs :)
You'd think so, but no. It happened one summer night on a side street in Lahr, Germany back in '84... the Fiat stopped with the left wheels on the centreline like he was about to turn left into the gas station, so I went to pass him on the right... just as he turned right into the parking lot of his apartment. Knocked me clear off the bike and sent me flying face first into the hedge along the sidewalk. I was ATGATT wih full face helmet that night, so all I ended up with was a sprained wrist and some bruises. The bike needed 400DM (about $260CDN at the time) of repairs, while the car needed a new right front fender, mirror and signal light. The bastid had the nerve to take me to court over it, claiming his wife and young child who were in the car ended up severely traumatised by the incident. Tried to sue me for a large amount of cash (as soon as he found out I was a Canadian soldier you could see the dollar signs light up in his eyes) but in the end the judge placed the blame at 50/50 (my fault was passing on the right) and my insurance only had to cover the repairs to my bike.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride