mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Annoyed! :rant:

#1 Unread post by mogster »

Have finally admitted defeat & going to order new battery for my 2yr old bike!

Seems it's a fairly common problem with the Hinckley Triumphs.

My fella also had to get new battery for his Rocket III after 2 yrs.

The problem is that the aftermarket Datatool alarm drains the battery (happened over winter), & despite trickle charging on a regular basis we have had to jump start it a few times recently.

This means that U am losing confidence in taking the bike out (especially on my own), as there is a background anxiety of will it/won't it start.

It's a pretty poor show though that an expensive well maintained bike should require a new battery within this time.

We phoned up Triumph & they only guarantee a battery for 6 months! So take £8,500 of my Tactually fella's) money & fit a new bike with a battery unfit for purpose! :rant:

Can anyone recommend good battery for '09 1050 Speed Triple? Has to be sealed as it lies sideways + available in UK.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

Re: Annoyed! :rant:

#2 Unread post by Thumper »

If no one here has the answer, someone on Triumph Rat probably will...

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'd say go and get one of these. Shorai Batteries
I've installed them in a couple of customers bikes and they seem very happy with them. Plus if you read reviews on them people can be super hard on them and they won't miss a beat. About twice the price of a normal battery, but supposed to last 2-5 times as long, plus it's lithium so the power lasts and lasts and lasts at a constant level that's higher than a comparable lead acid battery.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

Don't know if Triumph is using gel batteries..... BMW is, and there have been all kinds of problems. The biggest issue seems to be initializing the batteries, and many dealerships apparently don't know how or don't take care to do it right. The local Triumph dealership does know how - a friend recently replaced the battery on his 2002 Trophy. Not because it had a problem, just because it was 9 years old, and he was getting nervous about running a 9 year old battery. My Bonneville came from the same dealership, battery will be 6 years old next month and shows no sign of trouble.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Yuasa batteries are top notch, they are the only battery brand I will buy when it REALLY matters. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for when it comes to CCA (that's cold cranking amps).

I have a aftermarket META alarm and it too drains the battery, I wish I could just cut if off, in fact, my motorcycle is up for MOT next week, maybe I'll ask them. ;)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#6 Unread post by mogster »

Cheers guys for advice.

I will pass on info to my in house mechanic :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#7 Unread post by agraebner »

A local battery SPECIALTY store sells lead acid, absorbed glass mat sealed and gel batteries. I have a very long running problem with them as they like to sell people stuff they don't need. The very intentionally damage new batteries knowing people will just buy another one in a year or two. The fill them and immediately charge them using a 50 amp charger. they also have no problem buying pallets of many year old still new in box batteries and re-branding date codes in them. Even reputable parts stores are sometimes hard to get good FRESH batteries from. My local NAPA store who I was a dealer for until my business was put on hold (long ugly story) often got 3 yr old batteries and didn't know how to read the codes. A gel battery in a bike with a charging system designed for it works wonderfully. Absorbed glass mat batteries are my normal recommendation as they dont over charge at normal system voltages. (true gel requires lower charging voltages) General rule, I get 6 yrs of an agm battery in my bikes. I replace them not because they are failing but they age at that point. My car and truck have a tender installed on them as they do not get regularly driven anymore. The cages go dead if not driven for a month.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Yuasa batteries are top notch, they are the only battery brand I will buy when it REALLY matters. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for when it comes to CCA (that's cold cranking amps).

Mike
Bingo. 11 years on the one in my VTR 1000. I thought that it was screwed when the rectifier went so I bought a new one, only to find out that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original battery. I sold it with the bike. Awesome quality with every one of them that I have owned.

Tony216
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 08 S3, 04XB12, 09 SRFitty

#9 Unread post by Tony216 »

I know it is kinda old, but it seems like I can come here every six months and get caught up.

Anyway, I have the stock battery in my 2008 Speed Triple. It's a Yuasa and I put the bike on a batterytender every day. If not, it'll die in short order.